Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer: New member reporting

Postby zbear » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:04 pm

ngl2010 wrote:Jen,

Ah Boy is strong-willed. I am sure he will survive in any school. Why don't you let him make the decision? It will be better for your relationship with him and it is part and parcel of him growing up.

I totally agree with ngl2010. If you don't mind me saying, your worries n concerns are unfounded. I can see yr Ah Boy has his strengths which are equally good with kor kor, so its best not to compare. Ah Boy wont like it too.

U are blessed with 2 good sons!!!!

:smile:

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Another thought is, he is more familiar with NJC given that the gor gor goes there, moreover, NJC is known to be one of the better schools, as such, there is a certain 'pride' attached to being able to go to that school. And in many a younger sibling's eyes, what is good for gor gor must be good enough for me.

Have you started bringing him to open houses and exploring other schools. No need to make any hasty decisions, but get him to open his eyes to what other schools may be offering. Who knows, he may choose one that suits his interest.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Jennifer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:32 pm

Raining now

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Thunderstorm

:pray:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TheAnswer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:38 pm

Jennifer wrote:Thunderstorm

Thunderstorm in my area too.. Wait.. There is lightning too :lightrod:

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icy_mama » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:47 pm

hubby home yet?

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:20 pm

icy_mama wrote:

hubby home yet?

all sleeping now.

I was tired, went to bed around 8.40pm

Woke up ard 10pm to pack the soup into boxes for freezing.

Now that the lightning n thunder r quieter, I should go back to sleep.

McDelivery website not working, siah.

Cereals for the boys tmr then, luckily still hv enough fresh milk in the fridge.

Good night.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:56 am

Jennifer wrote:I am going to share sth that is likely to invite judgement from people who are not like-minded, hence please bear with me :pray: 

Years ago when elder boy was in lower pri lvl, hubby got a Chinese national psychologist to come to our house to do a IQ assessment of our children.

Based on conversation with elder boy, the psychologist concluded that elder boy will do well in Science & Maths.  Fast forward to today, true to his assessment, elder boy is inclined to these and at the same time, has a flair for English Literature.

We also did the assessment for ah boy.  His result was a total opposite of the older brother.  We were always amazed by ah boy's ability to pick up playing the piano simply by standing next to elder boy and watching quietly even though it was the simple tune of Mary had a little lamb.  He was just a toddler then.

Now, we are faced with the task of selecting sec sch for ah boy.

Though he does well in Maths n Science, his ability to grasp concepts is not as fast as elder boy.  A concept which elder boy can grasp in one sitting, ah boy might need 2 to 3 doses.

He is very interested in History n good in Geography.  Even at a young age, he is well informed with which route to take when we r driving to xxx.  He takes an interest in familiarising himself with these information.

Like I have always said, the 2 of them are complete opposite of each other though just as competitive.

Ah boy has expressed a desire to go to NJC which I think might not really suit him well.

Whether ah boy is able to get a t-score to qualify for NJC is besides the point.  I am concerned what type of sec sch is really suitable for him.

Recently elder boy shared with us that one of his sch mate got into NJC via DSA, the sch mate got a t-score of 240.  Elder boy feels that this sch mate is coping with NJC but not as easy as himself.

I hv made an apt with another psychologist to do a formal IQ assessment.  Hopefully the result will help us in knowing what his strengths lie in and we will be able to find a sec sch that he will strive in.

PEACE

Jennifer, I think i know what you mean. Your last sentence seems to say it all - to find a sec sch that he will Thrive in (I assume you mean "thrive" instead of "strive"? Because I think most people would want to strive hard? )

Perhaps because of your elder boy, you sort of form an opinion of how/what njc is like and you feel that it may not be the best fit for your younger boy.

I hv similar dilemma as you but in a different facet. Sometimes it is not a problem of "can cope or not" (come push to shove, Our boys definitely have a good chance of making it). What I am trying to do is to find a good match (if not the best match) for my child so that he thrive and is happy in the environment we have chosen for him. And I think, it is the same for you - to find an environment that your son can thrive and be happy in.

unfortunately, we can only make e best judgement out of what we already know and a certain set of assumptions. The "best judgement" may not be right after all, even with the best intention and effort. 

No solution to offer though but some points for you to consider

- A school which offers subjects that interests your younger boy or that he is good at

- a school which offers sports/ccas which your boy is good at/ keen in. I think you mention something like "njc may not have enough boys to play football with him"? So I guess he is into sports like football?

I have a niece and a nephew - twins - in an ip school. Clearly from primary school, the boy is the better performer. Based on his good results, he was admitted into an ip school. Four years on, he is doing great - academically or cca. He enjoys running from young. it so happens that this school has a strong track and field team and nephew was handpicked to join the school team. The school is also strong in math and science and these subjects are definitely nephew's cup of tea.

On the other hand, niece didn't get into the same ip school based on her result. Hers was a low end 25x but even then, it was not good enough. Eventually their parents appealed for it and she got into that ip sch.

Niece sort of "live in the shadows" of her brother. She was not selected for the perceived prestigious (perceived as such by the students) student exchange programs, or the several trips/competitions overseas representing Singapore/the school. Her strength lies in people Interaction and building relationship. Due to her flair working with fellow students, she has been the "student voted" counsellor for the few years since she is qualified for selection (I think first year students are not eligible). 

But being in a school which emphasize a lot on math and science, she has to put in double the effort given that her strength does not lie in these subjects. Despite this, she is getting decent grades and doing fine in school (just not as good as the brother).

For obvious logistical convenience and the perceived prestige of this school, the parents put the twins into the same school.  is it the best option for both twin? I think it is for my nephew. As for my niece, I always wonder if she would be happier in another school which focuses on other aspect of developments. Not that she is not happy and doing poorly in this school. I just feel that if she is in the best fitting environment, she would excel, shine and glow. The envrionment sort of brings out the best in oneself. Right now, in my opinion, she is only doing well (not shining or glowing).

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:30 am

Imami wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Hopefully the result will help us in knowing what his strengths lie in and we will be able to find a sec sch that he will strive in.

PEACE

Jennifer, I think i know what you mean.
Right now, in my opinion, she is only doing well (not shining or glowing).

:thankyou:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:32 am

We went for the IQ testing last week.

The psychologist shared with us the 2nd child syndrome.

I guess it is not easy to live in the shadow of a sibling who is perceived as a bright n motivated child, who does not give the parents any worries.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres