Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer: New member reporting

Postby Jennifer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:28 am

Funz wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Funz wrote:I've been wanting to get DS transferred out to another school since he started P1 last year but so far not successful. Not easy unless we shift house or have some major issues with the school.

Now that he is going to P3 and have formed rather strong friendship with a few of the kids in school, he is resistant to changing school.

My elder boy was resistant to changing school after P3. A few months into P4, he was happy with our decision. At least, there were 2 proper PE sessions plus other non core subjects on a weekly basis.

Can share your process for getting you boy into the new school?

Elder boy has a good academic track record since P1. He also passed GEP screening round 1 and went for the round 2 but was unsuccessful. With these, we submittted applications at a few other pri schools - Henry Park, ACS, Nanyang, Nan Hua and Pei Hwa. We first recd offer from ACS and went down to discuss the sch transfer. As the class allocation were already set for its pupils, the sch was unable to offer us the top class. So we rejected the offer. Then Pei Hwa called- also not top class, but at least it is a SAP sch. Hubby thought it was better to be exposed to HCL earlier.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:40 am

Jennifer wrote:
Elder boy has a good academic track record since P1. He also passed GEP screening round 1 and went for the round 2 but was unsuccessful. With these, we submittted applications at a few other pri schools - Henry Park, ACS, Nanyang, Nan Hua and Pei Hwa. We first recd offer from ACS and went down to discuss the sch transfer. As the class allocation were already set for its pupils, the sch was unable to offer us the top class. So we rejected the offer. Then Pei Hwa called- also not top class, but at least it is a SAP sch. Hubby thought it was better to be exposed to HCL earlier.

Thanks.

Those would be the schools I would want to try to get DS into. DS academic track record would not be what I would consider stellar, he's ok I guess. You reckon the ECHA and being a prefect will help?

I think chances of getting him a place in one of those schools will be more after P3 since there will be movements due to the GEP selection.

I am torn. Not sure if I should still try to pursue a change of school for DS. Maybe should just keep trying and if the opportunity does open up, see if we want to make that switch.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Jennifer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:06 am

Funz wrote:You reckon the ECHA and being a prefect will help?

ECHA is this, right?

The Ministry of Education (MOE) has introduced the Edusave Character Award (ECHA) in 2013 to recognise students who demonstrate exemplary character and outstanding personal qualities through their behaviour and actions.

I believe this award will increase the school's acceptance of an application.

Funz wrote:Maybe should just keep trying and if the opportunity does open up, see if we want to make that switch.

I would do so too. Better than later regret not trying at all.

Maybe I am the type of person who believe in "no harm trying".

Pssss, over the weekend, I sent an email to SEAB, asking why the webpage has not been updated since 26th July 2013 :wink:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:11 am

We placed an order for a upright exercise bike with Vito (Kettler distributor) @ Plaza Singapura on Sat.

Seen 3 other shops (Kettler @ Paragon, AIBI, NutritionPark and GoodHealth).

Kettler and AIBI are assembled in Taiwan, NutritionPark and GoodHealth are assembled in China.

Among these, Kettler has the better look. Its smoothness is comparable to AIBI.

Hubby chose Kettler for its looks.

The model is on offer now - S$1190 plus a free mat. To be delivered this Wed.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icy_mama » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:17 am

Jennifer wrote:I would do so too. Better than later regret not trying at all.

Pssss, over the weekend, I sent an email to SEAB, asking why the webpage has not been updated since 26th July 2013 :wink:

one day, if ever, i'll need to hire a professional feedback personnel, you'll be hired! :laugh:

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:22 am

Jennifer wrote:ECHA is this, right?

The Ministry of Education (MOE) has introduced the Edusave Character Award (ECHA) in 2013 to recognise students who demonstrate exemplary character and outstanding personal qualities through their behaviour and actions.

I believe this award will increase the school's acceptance of an application.

Yup that is the award. DS got it last year. He was nominated for it again this year but I don't think he got it this time round.

Funz wrote:Maybe should just keep trying and if the opportunity does open up, see if we want to make that switch.

I would do so too. Better than later regret not trying at all.

Pssss, over the weekend, I sent an email to SEAB, asking why the webpage has not been updated since 26th July 2013 :wink:[/quote]

:lol: Yup agree, no harm trying and you'll never know until you try.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Jennifer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:35 am

icy_mama wrote:
Jennifer wrote:I would do so too. Better than later regret not trying at all.

one day, if ever, i'll need to hire a professional feedback personnel, you'll be hired! :laugh:

:rotflmao: okok

with an empty nest soon, I definitely will hv lotsa time on hand :wink:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:24 am

Elder boy just smsed me: he n his buddy r the only boys selected for a ELL module in SH and his buddy went for the selection for fun only.

now he is in a dilemma - to sign up as the only boy in the SH ELL class or to go with the flow to take Economics?

There will be projects.

He is thinking he will feel awkward and lonely.

P.S. ELL is a EL linguistics module - analytical skills required to decode the text in context, content, choice of words.

He is not going to continue with Advanced Literature in senior high

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icy_mama » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:29 am

why would he be lonely? he'd be surrounded with a bevy of beauties. :wink:

awkward, maybe, but if that's what he really wanted, just go for it. this should 'thicken' up his skin. :wink:

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:34 am

icy_mama wrote:why would he be lonely? he'd be surrounded with a bevy of beauties. :wink:

awkward, maybe, but if that's what he really wanted, just go for it. this should 'thicken' up his skin. :wink:

Hiaz, if only he thinks like u.

A reason why he is giving Ad.Lit a miss next year was due to no like-minded boys kaki. His buddies chose to do 3 Sciences in JH3/4 whereas he took 2 Sciences. No doubt he joined his buddies for the Acc.Maths class, he must hv still felt lonely in his Form class.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres