Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby MyPillow » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:47 am

slmkhoo wrote:
kids_r_innocent wrote:Where do u normally get ur ingredients for baking since u seems to be baking quite often? I saw in the other thread that a mummy replaced butter wif veg oil? Have u tried before?

You probably mean me? I don't use dairy products in baking as my husband is intolerant to dairy. He cannot digest even very small amounts, like what is in a lot of supermarket/bakery breads. There are websites which give conversions for substituting butter/milk with veg oil, but I just do a rough 1-for-1 volume substitution. I don't bake stuff that requires very careful measuring! There are also websites which have dairy-free recipes. You do lose the buttery and milky taste, and the texture can be a little tougher, but we have got used to it.

I don't bake all that much and use mostly very ordinary ingredients, so I get most of my ingredients from NTUC or Sheng Siong, and occasionally from Phoon Huat.

slmkhoo,
what veg oil to subt for butter, i think of olive oil/spread , canola,sunflower?
i love butter too, but since my gal loves own bake, i think it is healthier to use veg oil

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:52 am

MyPillow wrote:slmkhoo,
what veg oil to subt for butter, i think of olive oil/spread , canola,sunflower?
i love butter too, but since my gal loves own bake, i think it is healthier to use veg oil

I use whatever veg oil I have on hand, usually canola or sunflower. Some olive oil can be a bit stronger in flavour, and peanut oil too, so it could affect the taste of the baked product. Some spreads cannot take high heat, so do read the packaging. To retain some buttery taste, you can try substituting oil for half the butter.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kids_r_innocent » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:13 pm

Jennifer wrote:
kids_r_innocent wrote:Where do u normally get ur ingredients for baking since u seems to be baking quite often? I saw in the other thread that a mummy replaced butter wif veg oil? Have u tried before?

I buy from NTUC. Dun really bake often.

The other day need to use up the apples cos hubby travels and there are a few apples in the fridge.

Then need to use up the blueberry jam cos ah boy no longer spreads it on his bread.

Never tried substituting veg oil in butter cake. I love butter :lol:

Tats so clever of u. Using leftover stuffs to bake cakes. Me getting more and more motivation to buy an oven, haha

kids_r_innocent
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kids_r_innocent » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:18 pm

slmkhoo wrote:

You probably mean me? I don't use dairy products in baking as my husband is intolerant to dairy. He cannot digest even very small amounts, like what is in a lot of supermarket/bakery breads. There are websites which give conversions for substituting butter/milk with veg oil, but I just do a rough 1-for-1 volume substitution. I don't bake stuff that requires very careful measuring! There are also websites which have dairy-free recipes. You do lose the buttery and milky taste, and the texture can be a little tougher, but we have got used to it.

I don't bake all that much and use mostly very ordinary ingredients, so I get most of my ingredients from NTUC or Sheng Siong, and occasionally from Phoon Huat.

Haha.. Yes yes, luckily didn't talk bad abt u. :lol: I can't rem which thread u mentioned abt it liao. Thank you for ur reply. Oh! So you r the nice wife helping hb to eat better. But do u have any idea if it's healthier to eat butter or drink veg oil in comparison?

kids_r_innocent
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:19 pm

kids_r_innocent wrote:if it's healthier to eat butter or drink veg oil in comparison?

:rotflmao:

who will drink veg oil :laugh:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MrsKiasu » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:23 pm

Jennifer wrote:
kids_r_innocent wrote:if it's healthier to eat butter or drink veg oil in comparison?

:rotflmao:

who will drink veg oil :laugh:

Kri, are you thinking of drinking vege oil to get fat?

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:56 pm

Elder boy is meeting his friends tomorrow for dinner before the flight.

No need for me to see him off at the airport

孩子长大了

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:57 pm

Jennifer wrote:Elder boy is meeting his friends tomorrow for dinner before the flight.

孩子长大了

Is he going for some school immersion trip?

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:58 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Elder boy is meeting his friends tomorrow for dinner before the flight.

孩子长大了

Is he going for some school immersion trip?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:01 pm

I will go attend the CPF talk on Life @ 55.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres