Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:00 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Jennifer wrote:not even soaking the hands or feet in a tub of diluted Dettol?

We were fortunate that my DD didn't have many rashes. Never thought of the dettol idea. It may help to disinfect the external skin, but it may also sting if the wounds are exposed. I thought slmkhoo's idea of antiseptic cream makes better sense. Or soak feet in ice water?

We have antiseptic cream at home. Will get him to apply when he wakes up from napping later.

:thankyou:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:21 pm

Keeping nice and cool will ease the discomfort somewhat. Applying aloe gel may help. Other than that, not much choice but to bear with it as the virus runs its course. Pretty much like chicken pox.

Once the blisters dry, moisturise, there will be a fair bit of peeling and the skin underneath may be quite tender.

Somehow when older kids or adults contract HFMD their symptoms seem to be worse.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Imami » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:38 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Imami wrote::rotflmao: sorry chief, but it's funny! Can la, adults also can get.

When tofu boy was down with hfmd, he only had three ulcers. I got the virus from him and guess what? I must have thousands on my feet, hands and inside my mouth. Those on feet were nothing much. Felt like walking on pins.

Those on hands were fascinating. Clusters of tiny bubbles! Those in my mouth were the most vicious :cry:

Yucks!! That's scary. HPB should have put you on their posters then. Sure would make people a lot more aware of HFMD immediately. :nailbite:

:rotflmao: actually visually, it's nothing scary as the blisters/ulcers were really tiny. Tiny but power :sweat:

Jennifer, the folks have given you some suggestions. During my time, I didn't do anything special, just serving my time.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:56 pm

Hi Jennifer,
When my teenager got hfmd recently, doctor prescribed calamine lotion to apply externally. According to my teenager, it eased the pain and healed faster. You can get it from Guardian or Watson For throat, coconut juice and barley water help.

nz
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby buds » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:09 pm

nz wrote:Hi Jennifer,
When my teenager got hfmd recently, doctor prescribed calamine lotion to apply externally. According to my teenager, it eased the pain and healed faster. You can get it from Guardian or Watson For throat, coconut juice and barley water help.

I second this Jennifer.

Similar to what I did with my children too. I showered my kiddies with Dettol. I also told hubs to get each toilet a Dettol hand soap with dispenser plus the kitchen and reminded my family repeatedly, to wash their hands more often, as the adults can get it too. Asked hubs to take leave to help me. Isolated my kiddies best I could and sterilised their writing materials books and toys as well.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:12 pm

:thankyou:

I need to buy calamine lotion later. Was also thinking about coconut water, I think there is a brand now on promotion at NTUC.

I have boiled barley water for the past 2 days, today is chrysanthemum tea cos I ran out of barley this morning.

Btw, was there scarring after the dead skin peeled off?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:13 pm

Imami wrote:... Tiny but power :sweat:

Jennifer, the folks have given you some suggestions. During my time, I didn't do anything special, just serving my time.

:rotflmao: sorry, find the highlighted phrase very funny.

Like elder boy now, grounded at home, nothing much he can do

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:15 pm

Funz wrote:Keeping nice and cool will ease the discomfort somewhat. Applying aloe gel may help. Other than that, not much choice but to bear with it as the virus runs its course. Pretty much like chicken pox.

Once the blisters dry, moisturise, there will be a fair bit of peeling and the skin underneath may be quite tender.

Somehow when older kids or adults contract HFMD their symptoms seem to be worse.

This is my first encounter with HFMD, so much to learn.

Chicken pox? Neither my boys nor I experience it yet :xedfingers:

These days, I keep checking my hands too :sweat:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:20 pm

For chickenpox, it is also calamine lotion which is of little use to me.
I also drink a lot of cooling tea.
So chickenpox is similar to HFMD?

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bb_ mom » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:23 pm

But calamine is very drying. So must use moisturiser.

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres