Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby Funz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:34 pm

I hate the smell of calamine lotion so I use Aloe gel. Cooling but can feel a bit sticky.

Not really similar. Chicken pox the blisters are bigger and can be anywhere even on your scalp. For HFMD the blisters are small and in clusters usually affecting the hands, feet, mouth and buttocks. There is an anti-virus for chix pox but nothing for HFMD.

Similar in the sense that both will run its course and are usually non life threatening. There is 1 strand of the HFMD virus, EV71, that can cause complications and have caused a few deaths. So far, no flag for this virus in the last few years so don't panic.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby nz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:34 pm

Jennifer wrote:
nz wrote:Hi Jennifer,
When my teenager got hfmd recently, doctor prescribed calamine lotion to apply externally. According to my teenager, it eased the pain and healed faster. You can get it from Guardian or Watson For throat, coconut juice and barley water help.

:thankyou:

I need to buy calamine lotion later. Was also thinking about coconut water, I think there is a brand now on promotion at NTUC.

I have boiled barley water for the past 2 days, today is chrysanthemum tea cos I ran out of barley this morning.

Btw, was there scarring after the dead skin peeled off?

I didn't see any scars and it was not drying either. My younger child got it too, but they are all well now:) Thankfully, both hubby and I are fine.

nz
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Porky Pig » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:46 pm

nz wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
nz wrote:Hi Jennifer,
When my teenager got hfmd recently, doctor prescribed calamine lotion to apply externally. According to my teenager, it eased the pain and healed faster. You can get it from Guardian or Watson For throat, coconut juice and barley water help.

:thankyou:

I need to buy calamine lotion later. Was also thinking about coconut water, I think there is a brand now on promotion at NTUC.

I have boiled barley water for the past 2 days, today is chrysanthemum tea cos I ran out of barley this morning.

Btw, was there scarring after the dead skin peeled off?

I didn't see any scars and it was not drying either. My younger child got it too, but they are all well now:) Thankfully, both hubby and I are fine.

Jen, there shouldnt be a lot of scarrings unlike chicken pox. For coconut water, i suggest you buy those whole coconuts. More effective. Buy those small thai coconuts.

Porky Pig
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:21 pm

Porky Pig is right. We bought those Thai coconuts from Ntuc. Hope it helps.

nz
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:55 pm

bb_ mom wrote:But calamine is very drying. So must use moisturiser.

:sweat:

then how? apply calamine lotion followed by some moisturiser? He has sweaty palms, if applied moisturiser leads to other skin rashes???

or the purpose of calamine lotion is to dry the blisters asap?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:58 pm

Porky Pig wrote:For coconut water, i suggest you buy those whole coconuts. More effective. Buy those small thai coconuts.

ok, I go look for these later.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:58 pm

nz wrote:Porky Pig is right. We bought those Thai coconuts from Ntuc. Hope it helps.

Do these coconut keep well in the fridge for x number of days?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:00 pm

Btw, do I need to separate the clothes for washing? His to be doused with Dettol?

Or change his bedsheet daily?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bb_ mom » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:04 pm

Jennifer wrote:
bb_ mom wrote:But calamine is very drying. So must use moisturiser.

:sweat:

then how? apply calamine lotion followed by some moisturiser? He has sweaty palms, if applied moisturiser leads to other skin rashes???

or the purpose of calamine lotion is to dry the blisters asap?

Supposed to dry so that not itchy. Hm...can use moisturiser sparingly after calamine?

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Porky Pig » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:37 pm

Jennifer wrote:
nz wrote:Porky Pig is right. We bought those Thai coconuts from Ntuc. Hope it helps.

Do these coconut keep well in the fridge for x number of days?

I try to deplete all within 3 days.

Porky Pig
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres