Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby Jennifer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:01 am

There was a thread in which someone posted we should close an eye to the shortcomings of a person and focus on the good traits.

Leaving the lights on repeatedly - I should just off it and not tell the absentminded person?

Am I encouraging bad habits?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:16 am

Jennifer wrote:There was a thread in which someone posted we should close an eye to the shortcomings of a person and focus on the good traits.

Leaving the lights on repeatedly - I should just off it and not tell the absentminded person?

With the kids , I wonder too.
Life becomes easier, but leaves me wondering if I am failing to do my duty. But it sometimes get too much to keep reminding DD to turn off lights/fan. And then it is as if the more i remind/reprimand her the more defiant she turns. So I take the easy way out these days - one less thing to nag. And wait for enlightenment. Sigh!

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:17 am

Jennifer wrote:There was a thread in which someone posted we should close an eye to the shortcomings of a person and focus on the good traits.

Is that me? :scratchhead: no la hor? 我没有那么好脾气lor...

I recently have similar issue with tofu boy too. Like forgetting the water heater (to switch off), toilet light (to off), leaving his hanky in the school uniform (shd take out so that it will be laundered like another piece of garment). ... So, what is evil mummy doing leh? :evil: :evil:

I fine him! Every time he forgets, I get $0.50 out of his piggy bank.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:29 am

Sun_2010 wrote:

With the kids , I wonder too.
Life becomes easier, but leaves me wondering if I am failing to do my duty. But it sometimes get too much to keep reminding DD to turn off lights/fan. And then it is as if the more i remind/reprimand her the more defiant she turns. So I take the easy way out these days - one less thing to nag. And wait for enlightenment. Sigh!

:lol:

or wait until she is married off and kena scolding from the in-laws?

Or I worry too much?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:36 am

Imami wrote:

I recently have similar issue with tofu boy too. Like forgetting the water heater (to switch off), toilet light (to off), leaving his hanky in the school uniform (shd take out so that it will be laundered like another piece of garment). ... So, what is evil mummy doing leh? :evil: :evil:

Huh? I am talking about the bigger boy.

Say too much = a tigress wife?

Hubby has never taken out his handkerchief out of the pocket since donkey years ago, unless I specifically tell him to do so.

When we were still living with in-laws and had a domestic helper, one day he realised he did not have any handkerchief in the drawer- found all inside the pockets of washed and ironed pants.

MIL never taught her son, but taught the domestic helper after the incident.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icy_mama » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:39 am

Jennifer wrote:Your dd is such a nice person.

The time ah boy was on mc for HFMD, no classmate offered to pass him the school worksheets, though there is a boy who moved into our estate recently, same MA class.

I had to arrange for the worksheets to be left at the GO, then elder boy picked up on Friday to bring home.

So unlike elder boy who has a small small network to pass him the sch stuff to our home or meet with me at the bus stop.

Elder boy was like: ah? You asked the teachers to leave at GO? This is sec sch leh, mum!

My dd is the typical diplomat. :wink:

I'd think ah boy is more than glad not to have those worksheets anyway. :evil:

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icy_mama » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:42 am

seaglass wrote:
icy_mama wrote:
Jennifer wrote:your dd is so sweet :love:

bet she is the only person to miss him :lol:

u small see ah boy's charm liao. :wink: :wink:

:rotflmao:

Great to see you again, icy!!
All the best to your ds for his PSLE! (:

oops sori Jen for hijacking your thread.. hee

:imanisland: seaglass! :hugs:

Thanks for your wishes. :smile:

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:18 pm

Imami wrote:

I have different standards for husband vs kids. For husband, he is a grown man, and unless it's something that inconveniences me directly, I will let it go. If he runs out of something or has to pay a higher bill, that's for him to decide how to handle it. But for kids, I feel I have a responsibility to teach, so I will be like imami - if reminders don't work, then I will punish/fine. So far, I have threatened but haven't actually had to as they will correct themselves. But I also try to decide what things are less important and to let go - if it's something wasteful like not turning off lights, I will take action, but if it's a messy desk, I will let go.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:42 pm

slmkhoo wrote:I have different standards for husband vs kids. For husband, he is a grown man, and unless it's something that inconveniences me directly, I will let it go. If he runs out of something or has to pay a higher bill, that's for him to decide how to handle it.

To me, it is not only paying a higher bill, but I feel a social responsibility towards conserving energy.

I will bundle up newspapers, sort the rubbish into plastic vs paper, bag them separately and bring down to the recycle bins.

He does not think these are worth doing.

I guess as years go by, our differences become more obvious.

Sometimes I feel he sees a problem, walks away from it, since I am around to handle it.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:46 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Imami wrote:

I have different standards for husband vs kids. For husband, he is a grown man, and unless it's something that inconveniences me directly, I will let it go. If he runs out of something or has to pay a higher bill, that's for him to decide how to handle it. But for kids, I feel I have a responsibility to teach, so I will be like imami - if reminders don't work, then I will punish/fine. So far, I have threatened but haven't actually had to as they will correct themselves. But I also try to decide what things are less important and to let go - if it's something wasteful like not turning off lights, I will take action, but if it's a messy desk, I will let go.

Switching off lights has been a major issue. Her desk on the other hand is super neat, organised everyday, in the same exact way.( she has mild OCD I suspect)
I know i must be more firm, but that means monitoring consistently, listening to her excuses , And what punishment to give - she really doesnt care about her pocket money much.

Ok, now I am giving excuses :oops: . Let me get a bit more serious, and find a workable punishment

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres