Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby MyPillow » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:24 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:Fear may be overcome or reduced if we have ample preparation.

Ah yes, new mental model :)

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:30 pm

Jennifer wrote:do you think :

fear is an attribute one learns to acquire?

It is acquired to some degree through experience or by others' examples, but some people also tend to be more fearful than others, depending on personality. When you think of it, extreme fearfulness and total fearlessness are both foolish. In terms of teaching our kids, we need to aim for a level of fear that is prudent and avoids excessive risk, but not so high that they are paralysed. But what amounts of "excessive" risk also varies from person to person.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:51 pm

Yes. Fear is a function of both experience and uncertainty.

Experience =
- Actual experience, eg. when we get burned by fire, or
- experience by proxy, eg. when the people we trust tell us about their own experiences. So when people tell us not to point at the moon because their ears get cut, we acquire their fear.

Uncertainty =
Fear of the unknown. eg. when early sailors thought that the world was flat and they will fall off the cliff if they go too far, or we take a unprecedented test for something completely new, such as the first ever exam for a new subject, or simply ultimately about death... as no one really knows what happens to us when we die.

So in the case of experience, we actually acquire that fear. Sometimes we call it "wisdom"!

But in the case of uncertainty, it is the opposite. We have that fear because we have never experience the situation in the first place.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

1 people like this post

Postby Jennifer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:59 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:

Experience =
- experience by proxy, eg. when the people we trust tell us about their own experiences. So when people tell us not to point at the moon because their ears get cut, we acquire their fear.

Uncertainty =
Fear of the unknown. eg. when early sailors thought that the world was flat and they will fall off the cliff if they go too far, or we take a unprecedented test for something completely new, such as the first ever exam for a new subject, or simply ultimately about death... as no one really knows what happens to us when we die.

So in the case of experience, we actually acquire that fear. Sometimes we call it "wisdom"!

But in the case of uncertainty, it is the opposite. We have that fear because we have never experience the situation in the first place.

Love your post.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:08 pm

slmkhoo wrote:

It is acquired to some degree through experience or by others' examples, but some people also tend to be more fearful than others, depending on personality. When you think of it, extreme fearfulness and total fearlessness are both foolish. In terms of teaching our kids, we need to aim for a level of fear that is prudent and avoids excessive risk, but not so high that they are paralysed. But what amounts of "excessive" risk also varies from person to person.

Totally agree.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:10 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
starlight1968sg wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Do we need to keep the mooncake in the fridge?

Yes, I keep all in the fridge.

It depends on how long you are keeping them. If you are eating them in a day or 2, then outside is OK. If they are sealed in plastic bags with dehumidifier, then outside for a few days is OK. Otherwise, they will get mouldy quickly in our warm and humid climate.

I think I better keep one piece in the fridge, hubby should be able to finish the other one within these few days.

I find myself less appreciative of mooncake now, do not like the sticky stuff on my teeth.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kids_r_innocent » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:42 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:

Experience =

Uncertainty =

So true!! But how do we teach ourselves or even the kids the best method to overcome any fear of experience? The human brain is such a stubborn ting at times.

kids_r_innocent
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:23 pm

kids_r_innocent wrote:So true!! But how do we teach ourselves or even the kids the best method to overcome any fear of experience? The human brain is such a stubborn ting at times.

There is a flying insect nest on the hanging light in the living room. Elder boy finds it gross. I told him to clear up the nest when this week's papers end. He is cringing at the prospect of doing the "scary" job :evil:

Ah boy used to have a fear for tooth extraction. Now he pulls out the shaky ones on his own and puts in the sterilised gauze to stop any bleeding.

I believe I did a lot of "encouraging" as well as just throwing them into the situations.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:57 pm

Tell elder boy the nest will continue to hang there unless someone clears it. If he waits too long, the occupant may just be ready to shout,"Surprise!" at him when he grabs the nest. Lagi worse.

Some things cannot wait. The longer the wait, the worse the fear and the consequence. Toothache is one, clearing dead whatever is another. To overcome fear, the more one experiences it, the better. I say only la......

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:15 pm

Imami wrote:Tell elder boy the nest will continue to hang there unless someone clears it. If he waits too long, the occupant may just be ready to shout,"Surprise!" at him when he grabs the nest. Lagi worse.

Some things cannot wait. The longer the wait, the worse the fear and the consequence. Toothache is one, clearing dead whatever is another. To overcome fear, the more one experiences it, the better. I say only la......

:rotflmao:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres