Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby icy_mama » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:30 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:jennifer
it is unfair to make him sit & pay again.
Or it is another way for the sch to earn more $$?

Agree!

Anyway, why need to have evaluation test before actual test? So troublesome now... Like having a pre-meeting to discuss about what's gonna happen in the meeting. :roll:

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rains » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:17 am

Jennifer wrote:This morning he sat for and passed the basic theory evaluation test, only to find out the basic theory test date in Dec is fully booked, next test date is 4th Jan next year :gloomy: And the evaluation test pass is only valid for 20 days.

He would have to re-sit for it again (pay to sit for it, I think).

There is no way to check online the basic theory test dates until the student passes the evaluation test, he says.

I wonder why cannot go ask the counter staff?

Anyway, up to him to find his ways around getting things done.

Hi Jen,

What's a basic theory evaluation test? Why is there an additional test on top of the theory test?

Sometimes we won't know that certain options are available until someone points them out to us. I thought it would be helpful if you could make suggestions to your boy eg. ask the counter staff to check the dates.

My driving license was obtained a few years ago, and I recall having to book the basic theory test date via the counter, right after they assessed that I passed the eyesight test, before I proceeded to do anything else. Perhaps the system has changed but it might be helpful to ask the staff.

I thought checking details or verifying with the counter staff is an essential skill. I just saved $90 from asking a simple question at an SGH counter yesterday ('Why so expensive huh?') bcos they thought my father was a private patient when he was not.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:51 am

rains wrote:
Jennifer wrote:This morning he sat for and passed the basic theory evaluation test, only to find out the basic theory test date in Dec is fully booked, next test date is 4th Jan next year :gloomy: And the evaluation test pass is only valid for 20 days.

He would have to re-sit for it again (pay to sit for it, I think).

There is no way to check online the basic theory test dates until the student passes the evaluation test, he says.

I wonder why cannot go ask the counter staff?

Anyway, up to him to find his ways around getting things done.

Hi Jen,

What's a basic theory evaluation test? Why is there an additional test on top of the theory test?

Sometimes we won't know that certain options are available until someone points them out to us. I thought it would be helpful if you could make suggestions to your boy eg. ask the counter staff to check the dates.

My driving license was obtained a few years ago, and I recall having to book the basic theory test date via the counter, right after they assessed that I passed the eyesight test, before I proceeded to do anything else. Perhaps the system has changed but it might be helpful to ask the staff.

I thought checking details or verifying with the counter staff is an essential skill. I just saved $90 from asking a simple question at an SGH counter yesterday ('Why so expensive huh?') bcos they thought my father was a private patient when he was not.

I find that elder boy is almost always reluctant to ask people.

We had a talk last night after his shooting training. Maybe I did not pick a right time to bring up the issue, he seemed annoyed by me :gloomy:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rains » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:07 am

I am not sure about your boy but I often associate the reluctance to ask with a lack of confidence bcos I am like that as a child, so I often try to get my kids to ask or check with waitresses/receptionists/counter staff when we need something. My elder girl is bolder and doesn't have an issue going up to counter staff to ask most of the time but my younger one refuses to ask anyone at all, even when I stand by her side. Not sure if it's bcos the elder one is more linguistic and thus more comfortable in speaking or it's just a matter of inborn confidence, but I see the ability and boldness to ask an important skill to pick up bcos we have to ask a lot of right questions, to get the answers we need, as adults.

Ask your boy to ask lah, and if possible, ask him to complain! 'It's ridiculous to expect us to pass the evaluation test before we can check the dates online! Is this the way the centre makes money?'

Complaining is an absolutely important skill in Singapore!

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:19 am

Rains, great advice!

I told my kids 'you don't ask, you won't get'. They practise on me. Even with me, also must egg dd2 to speak up.

Indeed hard to ask kids to ask strangers questions. Must push them out of comfort zone. dd1 did some volunteering work and said she felt a little drained by too many rejections on 1st day although by day 2 she immune already

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icy_mama » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:32 am

Great advice indeed, rains!

Ask and answer could be yes or no. Don't ask, answer will always be NO! :lol:

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:25 am

:lol:

I understand a little more about elder boy this morning.

His reluctant to ask- try not to trouble other people.

:slapshead: to me.

But I can understand where he is coming from. Think I was also like that when I was much younger.

Well, there are skills we pick up along the way, like getting a thicker skin :wink:

Or is it a Man Ego thingy :lol:

Elder boy was telling me that he had attended leadership courses and in those courses, the leaders would set down rules and there would always be people who would push the boundaries of the rules which then caused some inconveniences to the whole group.

To him, he does not like to be one of these push boundaries people.

I guess he is still green.

My concern for this child is he seems like a push over, not aggressive enough.

When he was growing up, I rushed him into growing up to be a sensible person who is considerate for others. Too much I think that I sometimes feel that I robbed him of his childhood.

I should let him find his own pace.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kids_r_innocent » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:08 pm

I think kids these days have more or less the same mentality. Always keep quiet and wait for things to happen. So both my hb n I oso do the same these days, dun ask means dun get anything frm us or ur intentions is not known, wahahaha.

kids_r_innocent
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:21 pm

kids_r_innocent wrote:I think kids these days have more or less the same mentality. Always keep quiet and wait for things to happen. So both my hb n I oso do the same these days, dun ask means dun get anything frm us or ur intentions is not known, wahahaha.

:rotflmao:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icy_mama » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:27 pm

kids_r_innocent wrote:I think kids these days have more or less the same mentality. Always keep quiet and wait for things to happen. So both my hb n I oso do the same these days, dun ask means dun get anything frm us or ur intentions is not known, wahahaha.

I like this!! :lol:

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres