Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Re: Mummy Jennifer's Hatch

Postby PiggyLalala » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:17 pm

Jennifer wrote:
The reporting time was 9.45am.

Hubby went to fetch his parents with elder boy and reached Pasir Ris Bus Interchange around 8+am, way ahead of schedule.

I and ah boy took the MRT from KAP, changed to EW line at Bugis and reached Pasir Ris around 8.30am

The Penguin ferry boarding time was around 9.30am, a 10 to 15 minutes journey to the Tekong island. Though the ferry is not small, there was a fair amount of rocking. Ah boy did not feel too good on the ride. Not nauseated fortunately.

Many grandparents came too.

Upon reaching the island, we boarded shuttle bus to show us around the parade square, the obstacle course field, a new running track and the school cluster.

Then we visited the bunk - 16 recruits (cannot say children hor) to each bunk. While inside the bunk, the sergeant told an informal QnA session.

We were told that this intake (I suppose he is referring to 4th Jan) is BMT with leadership, a high % of recruit would go on to officer course.

Then we were brought to an exhibition hall, given a briefing on the BMTC objectives, what they do, what sort of programmes etc.

Finally we were off to the auditorium where the LTC spoke on stage.

Lunch was served in the canteen by NTUC Foodfare. Today is chicken rice set, generous amount of chicken rice, a very big drumstick, some stir fry broccoli and a bowl of cabbage soup, dessert was mango pudding.

The PIC of NTUC Foodfare came to our table and made small talk. So I took the chance to ask whether the recruit can choose to eat non-Muslim today, then choose Muslim tomorrow. This not allowed. Once a choice is made, it is for the whole duration. Fruits are to be consumed in the canteen too, cannot bring to bunk. Reason being if the recruit eats something and falls sick, it is NTUCFoodfare to be accountable. If the recruit brings the food out of the canteen, then the food caterer is not responsible for any food poisoning whatsoever.

She suggested that the recruits eat the fruit while q'g for the main meal.

Then the recruits went to assemble at the parade square and we budded our boy goodbye.

No emotional moments.

I very cool hor :wink:

Btw, the first book out date is 22nd Jan

:thankyou: for yr detailed description, Jennifer. Appreciate it. Next year my turn. You are really cool. I dont think i can be like you. I have a number of questions. Hope you dont mind me asking. May i know how many recruits were enlisted today. Have they been issued their uniforms, helmet etc. Did yr ds bring a lot of his personal stuff? Did he have any schoolmates who are also enlisting today? Also did majority of the recruits cut botak themselves? And the 2 final questions.... are they allowed to use yr phone when they get back to the bunk. If yes, I suppose they can still text us at night.. Also did yr ds find the solution to his sweaty palm or feet. My ds has this problem too :oops: so many questions... TIA.

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icy_mama » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:22 pm

indeed you're very cool! *applause* then again, elder boy is so matured, sensible and independent. he'll glide through this!

when it comes to my turn... I think i'll act cool but will miss him alot. :oops:

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icy_mama » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:26 pm

piggylalala, is your boy as sensible as elder boy?

when it's my "mummy's boy" ds' turn, he will surely be full of complains. :rant: so much that i'd rather he NOT have his phone with him. :lol:

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:57 pm

:laugh:

I think the only moment I felt like tearing was when the boys recited the oath in the auditorium

雄纠纠气昂昂

But that was rehearsed beforehand, we were told later at lunch :rotflmao: I was almost "fooled" :wink:

The boys and visitors were separated once we arrived at the island. A few hours went by before they walked into the auditorium.

Before that, I was expecting to see them in their smart 4 with completely botak heads. But no leh, still in civilized clothes and most glowing crown still on.

Elder boy said they were just sitting down, being briefed on some matters and rehearsed how to do the oath. Yet to go to the bunk to see their new homes or issued anything or leave their belongings in somewhere.

Like I mentioned we arrived early. Ah boy wanted to eat something so both of us went to the shopping mall (White Sands?) to look for Ah Kun or Kaya Toast outlet. Saw quite a number of parents and boys (with crew cut) sitting at Starsbuck.

There are clear signs in the bus interchange directing us to the bus berth to wait for shuttle bus. SAF personnel were also around to give instructions and guided us in boarding the correct timing shuttle bus to go to the jetty.

Most boys did not cut the hair. Most boys were big sized, elder boy looked so kiddy :lol:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:04 pm

I do not know exactly what is the recruit cohort size today.

When we reached the island, there was already a group of parents, I suppose their timing is 8.45am

Ours is 9.45am

When we were leaving the island, there was another group arriving. That was around 1.30pm

When we reached the bus interchange, there was no SAF personnel stationed. I suppose the group we last saw coming in might be the last group today?

When we were in the auditorium, the recruits took up 9 rows of seats in the middle. One row of seat maybe 20 recruits. 180 for the 9.45am batch?

8.45, 9.45, 10.45, 11.45, 12.45 = 5 batches

5 multiply by 180 = 900 recruits???

The above only my conjecture hor.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:12 pm

During the auditorium briefing, we were informed that a typical day starts at 5.30am and ends at 9.30pm

After 9.30pm, the boys are to do "personal admin" aka wash up, wash the laundry and then can use their hand phones, but cannot take photos.

The island does not have its power generator, source the electrical power from mainland via underground power cables. Each recruit is given a tablet which must be charged everyday for the next day lesson plan.

According to the LTC, it is 5000 tablets charging at night. Therefore, it is prohibited to charge personal hand phone bcos the power cable can be overloaded which leads to fire hazards.

Elder boy is using a xiaomi which cannot take out the battery. We will need to give him a powerbank. Even the powerbank cannot be charged on the island.

Not allowing the recruits to charge hand phone also limits usage, gives no chance to spend resting hours on gaming etc.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:23 pm

There are 2 boys who will be released tomorrow to go back to school to collect their IB results.

Elder boy met 2 schoolmates on the island today. No idea whether will be assigned to same bunk.

He managed to squeeze what he thinks are necessary items into his school bag. Quite a few items which I prepared got cut in number. 20 clothes hangers halved, 20 clothes peg - 8, not bringing any home shorts, home socks, home T shirts.

Most boys brought a much bigger bag than him, a few have carry tote bag.

Well, if he lacks anything urgently, he would have to ask to borrow. No big deal.

We poured the liquid washing detergent into smaller bottles and he took 2 of these and a small bottle of febreeze along.

I mention the bed is soft. Elder boy sleeps on a hard spring pocket mattress since P1. He jokes that he might be sleeping on the hard floor if he cannot get used to the soft mattress.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:34 pm

Just received the first call from elder boy at the island, gave me the emergency contact number, his NS ID number, explained the 4 digit ID number denotes Platoon, Section, Bed# and goodbye.

Short and sweet, so typical of him.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:37 pm

The hair cut done, only a few mm "tall" of hair standing on the head :rotflmao:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:24 pm

Wah... your boy big already, Jennifer! Congrats!

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies & Clubs

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres