Papa John Lim and his tribute to NYJC

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.
John Lim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:9

Re: Networking Group - Nanyang JC

Post by John Lim » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:34 pm

John Lim wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:58 pm
https://www.facebook.com/Nanyangjc/
https://nanyangjc.moe.edu.sg/

Robbie Chia Yuan Ee (1820)
Tchoukball Captain
Secondary School: Temasek Secondary School
Rank Points: 89

The time that I had spent in NYJC was truly enjoyable, filled with bittersweet memories; consisting of both tiring seasons as well as fun. I came in feeling excited with lots of anticipation of new experiences and did not really know what I signed up for with regard to studies. It was not long before I found myself facing difficulties in trying to adjust to the style of learning. Truthfully, just as our seniors had told us, the content here was certainly not easy to grasp. Thankfully, I had the support of my teachers and friends to help me with my struggles. My teachers were very passionate in going through content with us patiently, availing themselves for consultations and readily answering any queries we had. My friends were there for me every step of the way as well, through study groups and having fun together during breaks.

My experience in Tchoukball has really helped shape me as a person and I definitely enjoyed my time playing the sport. Starting out, it was hard to juggle between my commitments and many struggles inevitably arose - time management, fatigue, worry for our studies. However, seeing Tchoukball as a way to enjoy a break from studies in giving my time to learning and having fun at the sport really brightened up my JC journey as I tried to maximise my time wisely, balancing between studies and CCA. Looking back, it also helped me hone my leadership skills as I learnt to set goals with the team and work towards them together. Despite all the exhaustion that came with trainings, I thoroughly enjoyed training with my teammates and the bonds I have forged here were really special.

The people whom I had gone through JC with and the memories of the things that we had done together have certainly made the JC journey so much more meaningful. Casual conversations, having breaks playing basketball and phone games, joking around with friends and teachers, the list goes on and on. Each and every experience was very fulfilling and has helped my friends and I tide over this journey. If you ever have worries and problems with your studies, take heart and relax, confide in teachers and friends. I assure you that as long as you permit it, you will not go through this alone.

JC is never a sprint, but a marathon - take time to find your own pace before setting forth towards the finish line with consistency. Your time in NY will be over in the blink of an eye, so all the best and do remember to have fun too!

John Lim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by John Lim » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:13 am

Rayner Toh Jing Xiang (1820)
Dragonboat
ISLE Team Leader
Secondary School: Chung Cheng High School (Yishun)
Rank Points: 90

The word "boring" can never be used to describe my 2 years in NYJC. These 2 years in NYJC have inarguably been the best 2 years of my life and education path so far, because it presented me with opportunities to learn new things and to connect with others to foster stronger bonds among my peers.

NYJC presented me the opportunity to join a sports CCA - Dragon Boat, something which I have never done before in my life. Persevering through the sea training under the hot sun at Water Sports Centre, sweating it out in the gym to build up our strength and muscles, rowing our last race at the DBS Marina Regatta were just some of the fond memories that proved my decision to join dragonboat as one of my best decisions. Not only am I now physically stronger, I am also more resilient.

As the team leader of Team Aquila of ISLE 2018, my team members and I embarked on a 11D10N service learning expedition to a remote village in Chiang Rai, Thailand. Our main focus of the expedition was to complete two projects: building concrete roads to connect parts of a village and visiting local school to conduct enrichment lessons. The expedition took months of hard work and preparation. Seeing the beaming smiles on the villagers' faces gave me a new perspective of what service learning actually is about - touching hearts and extending a friendship.

Last but not least, I couldn't forget the awesome friends I've made in my 2 years in NY. Friends have played a crucial role in my fruitful life here in NY. They're the reason I look forward to coming to school every day, and are also the people who got my back during stressful and intensive periods. Preparation for the A Levels was definitely stressful, but studying with my friends made the time more bearable and memorable, going through the same adversities together.

To my fellow juniors, NYJC definitely offers ton of opportunities for you to try new things and becoming a better you. It is up to you whether you'll take that small step or a big leap of faith outside your comfort zone to experience the unknown. As the famous quote goes, "a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor". The ball is in your court, and it is up to you to shape your own NYJC experience.

John Lim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by John Lim » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:06 pm

John Lim wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:58 pm

Bhanuka Bandara Ekanayake (1831)
Choir
Secondary School: St Gabriel's Secondary School
Rank Points: 83

Although I was excited about making it to NY through DSA, I was also worried that I wouldn't be able to cope with the rigour of JC curriculum. And true enough, when I first started lessons and did my first tests, I performed well under par and this increased my level of self-doubt regarding my abilities and I felt inferior when compared to my classmates.

Despite my misgivings, my classmates readily offered to help me academically and assured me that I was in no way inferior because I was a DSA. My teachers too took time out of their busy schedules to help me through numerous consultations and would constantly be encouraging me. All my previous preconceived notions on how I would be treated were wrong. In addition to that, my friends from choir would often go above and beyond what was expected of them as a friend, helping me academically and acting as a solid pillar of support for me. All of this positive reinforcement resulted in my results steadily improving, which I attribute in no small part to all those around me in Nanyang who supported me through thick and thin.

To all who're currently not performing up to your expectations academically, know that you're never alone in Nanyang. Your friends and teachers will always be there for you, be it supporting you academically or emotionally. Persevere and seek help if you need it. And know that regardless of what happens, your Nanyang family will always be there for you.

John Lim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by John Lim » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:42 pm

Acacia Koo (1802)
Table Tennis
Secondary School: Yishun Town Secondary School
Uni rank point: 87

Upon entering NYJC, I was both excited and uncertain because I’ve heard that JC was a totally new experience. I was afraid that as a DSA student, I would not be able to have access to certain opportunities but thankfully, it was not the case. All students, regardless of whether you’re a DSA or JAE student, were given equal opportunities and I’m very thankful for that as I was able to join ISLE, which was definitely one of the highlights of my JC life as we got to spend 12 days away from the comfort of our home to help villagers in building roads and to conduct lessons for children.
Another highlight of my JC life was meeting a close group of friends in my class. I knew that I could always count on them when I needed help. I still remember during competition periods when I would always miss lessons, my friends would always help me collect all my tutorials and notes and would also offer help when I was lagging behind. They were always very supportive and I knew that I could count on them.
An advice that I would give is that consistency is key. I still remember my form teacher, Ms Chua, saying that during our first CT lesson. At first, I didn’t really understand the importance of it but as time passed in J1, I understood the importance of consistency as it is important to always put in the hard work everyday instead of waiting till the day before exams and cramming your brain with loads of information. Also, do not let failures overwhelm yourself, it is okay to fail sometimes but learn to pick yourself up and learn from your mistakes.

John Lim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by John Lim » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:18 pm

John Lim wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:25 pm
John Lim wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:35 pm

Thank you Nanyang JC! 谢谢你
0 tuition, money no enough 銭不够用

to be continued :rotflmao:
DD
H1 Chinese D :dancing: Thank you Nanyang JC! 谢谢你

EVERY SCHOOL A GOOD SCHOOL Thank you MOE
H2 Literature in English A :dancing: Thank you Nanyang JC! 谢谢你
H2 Mathematics A :dancing: Thank you Nanyang JC! 谢谢你
H1 General Paper A :dancing: Thank you Nanyang JC! 谢谢你
H1 Project Work A :dancing: Thank you Nanyang JC! 谢谢你
H2 A :dancing: Thank you Nanyang JC! 谢谢你
H2 Science A :dancing: Thank you Nanyang JC! 谢谢你 :udawoman:
H2 Science A :dancing: Thank you Nanyang JC! 谢谢你 :udaman:

Lim Yi Chien Jessie (1803)
The Drum & J-Fire Vice-President
Secondary school: Chung Cheng High School (Yishun)
Rank Point: 90

"The real treasure was the friends we made along the way" was the "prize" I had planned for a treasure hunt for my J-Fire juniors, but my exco shot down the idea because we were afraid people would leave after such a ridiculous prank. Yet, a whole year later, this saying totally holds true!

I met so many amazing people that I respect and care for in NY through my beloved SIG J-Fire and my comfy CCA The Drum. Running my SIG as exco while balancing reasonably good grades (so no one could say I had misplaced priorities) wasn't easy but was still the greatest experience of my 18 years of life. I will always remember all the afternoons I spent in my CCA room doing practice papers and the evenings in classrooms "studying" with friends alongside doing admin or merchandise design work for J-Fire. I will always be grateful for how NYJC treats students as adults and gives us so much autonomy in running our clubs. I really lived my shining high school life!

As for my future, I was offered a place in NUS FASS, NTU English Lit and Art History (ELAH) and SMU SOSS while I was still preparing for my A level exams. I was also offered the SMU Global Impact scholarship. It is a tough call to choose one from all these great opportunities. The undergrad programme, I hope, would get me closer to what I'd like to do professionally - to work in/with the museums, galleries and libraries - something that I learnt about in J1 through school work attachments.

A note to all my adorable juniors: don't ever feel obliged to conform to normie standards of being a model student! Rather than just another hollow portfolio hunter, what the world needs more of are people who are ready to bring their own ideas to the table, do their best at what they love and paint the world in their colours. Ganbaruby!~
Last edited by John Lim on Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

John Lim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by John Lim » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:34 pm

Yashwini Sivakumar
Head of Welfare, Student Council
Secondary School CHIJ St Joseph's Convent

My journey in NY has been nothing short of eventful and enriching. Nanyang never failed to provide me with opportunities that helped me reach my full potential and test my limits. I was entrusted with many leadership positions and offered various types of projects to take up, especially community service projects which I was keen on participating in. Admittedly, in my 2 years, exhaustion wore me out and all I craved was good sleep. But knowing that work had to be done, I planned my time very carefully. As part of the Executive Committee in the 41st Student Council, I knew how important it was to ensure that my peers did not take the weight of my work. Thus, I prioritized my time for the planning of events like Orientation and used any remaining time I had to complete school work during peak Council seasons.

As difficult as this was, I would not have been able to pull through these past 2 years without the help of my fellow EXCO members as they were very understanding towards the commitments I had. Not forgetting my subject tutors who were understanding about deadlines and were extremely supportive of the things I was accomplishing in and out of school. Finally, support from my mother really provided me the strength to push on and work even harder.

I would say that hard work and perseverance is very important for any student. Set goals for yourself and make sure you meet them. Your friends, family and teachers will be there to help you out, but first you must be willing to put in the effort to help yourself out! So to my juniors, all the best for A Levels and make yourselves proud!

John Lim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by John Lim » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:46 pm

Soh Zi Wei (1805)
Symphonic Band
Secondary School: Ang Mo Kio Secondary School
Rank Points: 85

My experience in NYJC had been a great and very memorable one. As someone who has entered the school through DSA with an L1R5 of 13, I predicted that I would be struggling with academics, especially with Project Work in JC1. However, knowing that my teachers and friends are always watching my back, I was able to slowly adjust to JC life.

My tips to my juniors?
It is important to have an avenue to relief oneself of the accumulated stress. CCA was always something I looked forward to after curriculum time as it was then that I could do that which I fully enjoy.

It is also crucial to clarify any doubts that you have with your subject teachers so that you do not waste time revising the wrong concepts. Do not be afraid to take time to experiment and find the studying method that suits you the best. Do not be overwhelmed by the failures that you face throughout this journey but instead learn from them.

While the A-levels is indeed very important, remember that studies is not the only thing in JC. Find time to do something you enjoy and take adequate breaks from studying. I’m extremely thankful to my friends and teachers who acted as my pillars of support throughout this journey. I do not regret joining NYJC and if I were given the choice to start over, I would still choose to go down this very path again.

John Lim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by John Lim » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:39 pm

Shan Yuxuan (1824)
Student Council
Secondary School:Yishun Town Sec

Studying in NYJC was a fun and exciting experience that will be ingrained in my memories. There are many people in NY, muggers, athletes, people with artistic or musical talents and many more. Throughout the two years, I met many and befriended many. CCA, external events, orientation groups, I have met people that will be part of my life for a long time to come and you will feel the same if you enter NYJC.
The teachers here gave us a lot of guidance and support, helping us when we scored badly and congratulating us when we do well. Thanks to Mr Jerry Toh and Ms Belinda Loh, I scored A and B for Economics (H2) and General Paper at the ‘A’ Levels (I had scored an E and D for these subjects for my JC1 End-of-Year Examinations). I improved because they never gave up on me even when I did horribly. Most of the times they asked me to go for consultations even though they did not have enough time for themselves.

I am also lucky to be part of the Student Council family which gave me a lot of opportunities, including being an emcee twice in school events, planning something as huge as JC1 Orientation and making a lot of friends by being an Orientation Group Leader. These developed me as a leader, allowing me to gain many beneficial soft skills that can help me in the future.

The school also provides a lot of opportunities for students – I was allowed to organise two service-learning projects and to participate in a science research programme. NYJC is a place where if you dare to try and can put in the effort, you will achieve something great as the school will recognise that and provide you with the chance.

I'm glad I said yes to NYJC - it will provide you the chance to achieve academic success, gain leadership skills and a great portfolio and also to have an amazing time in school.
Last edited by John Lim on Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Lim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by John Lim » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:13 pm

Ng Qi Xuan (1823)
Choir President
Secondary School: Xinmin Secondary School
Rank Point: 89

At the start of my JC life, I've encountered numerous hurdles, from my academics to my external responsibilities, At that point, I was very disheartened and overwhelmed by stress. Fortunately, I was surrounded by very dedicated teachers as well as supportive friends and family along this arduous journey. Their unwavering support encouraged me to persevere despite facing several setbacks. I am very grateful for them as they played a huge part in ensuring I was able to cope with my academic rigour as well as external responsibilities.

Other than the strong support system in NY, the college also provided us with various opportunities to develop our soft skills and step out of our comfort zones. I was able to umdertake several leadership roles as well as participate and organise several events such as the Leadership Training Camp and Choir Camp respectively throughout my two years in NYJC. I am very thankful for these invaluable experiences as they have shaped me to be who I am today.

Moreover, I was given the opportunity to apply for early admission to the prestigous universities using my JC2 Preliminary Exam results.This opening forced me to plan ahead and it also relieved me of some stress during the A levels knowing that I have already a secured place in the university. I have received offers from NTU, SUTD and USP in NUS. As the acceptance deadlines are in March-May, after the universities' Open Houses, I am still able to explore a little more before making the decision regarding which offer to take up.

Finally, to my fellow juniors, remember that studies is not everything. The ‘A’ Levels is no easy feat so do not be too hard on yourself if you fail to meet your expectations from time to time. Most importantly, enjoy your two years in NYJC as it’ll be one of the most memorable moments of your life!
!

Parent
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Parent » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:27 am

John Lim wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:18 pm
John Lim wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:33 am
John Lim wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:25 pm

DD
H1 Chinese D :dancing: Thank you Nanyang JC! 谢谢你

EVERY SCHOOL A GOOD SCHOOL Thank you MOE
H2 Literature in English A :dancing: Thank you Nanyang JC! 谢谢你
H2 Mathematics A :dancing: Thank you Nanyang JC! 谢谢你
H1 General Paper A :dancing: Thank you Nanyang JC! 谢谢你
H1 Project Work A :dancing: Thank you Nanyang JC! 谢谢你
H2 Science A :dancing: Thank you Nanyang JC! 谢谢你 :udawoman:
H2 Science A :dancing: Thank you Nanyang JC! 谢谢你 :udaman:

Lim Yi Chien Jessie (1803)
The Drum & J-Fire Vice-President
Secondary school: Chung Cheng High School (Yishun)
Rank Point: 90

"The real treasure was the friends we made along the way" was the "prize" I had planned for a treasure hunt for my J-Fire juniors, but my exco shot down the idea because we were afraid people would leave after such a ridiculous prank. Yet, a whole year later, this saying totally holds true!

I met so many amazing people that I respect and care for in NY through my beloved SIG J-Fire and my comfy CCA The Drum. Running my SIG as exco while balancing reasonably good grades (so no one could say I had misplaced priorities) wasn't easy but was still the greatest experience of my 18 years of life. I will always remember all the afternoons I spent in my CCA room doing practice papers and the evenings in classrooms "studying" with friends alongside doing admin or merchandise design work for J-Fire. I will always be grateful for how NYJC treats students as adults and gives us so much autonomy in running our clubs. I really lived my shining high school life!

As for my future, I was offered a place in NUS FASS, NTU English Lit and Art History (ELAH) and SMU SOSS while I was still preparing for my A level exams. I was also offered the SMU Global Impact scholarship. It is a tough call to choose one from all these great opportunities. The undergrad programme, I hope, would get me closer to what I'd like to do professionally - to work in/with the museums, galleries and libraries - something that I learnt about in J1 through school work attachments.

A note to all my adorable juniors: don't ever feel obliged to conform to normie standards of being a model student! Rather than just another hollow portfolio hunter, what the world needs more of are people who are ready to bring their own ideas to the table, do their best at what they love and paint the world in their colours. Ganbaruby!~
Excellent results.