Secondary 2 Streaming

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:29

Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Post by Imp75 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:54 pm

phtthp wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:03 pm
doodbug wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:07 am
Hi phtthp

I attended the Sec 2 HCI Subject Options talk, and this was in relation to choosing Sec 3 subjects.

It is compulsory for the whole of Sec 3 and 4 HCI to read Physics (no option given at all),

hence there was no mention on what the Year 5 Physics H2 prerequisites are. What was made very clear to all students and parents is that for Year 5 H2 Computing and Biology, Sec 3 and 4 Computing and Biology are not a prerequisite respectively, though it will be an advantage.

The Life Sciences Degree Programme at NUS (which is the undergraduate course for Biology and Biomedical Sciences) does not require Biology at H2 as a prerequisite.
hello (IP3 and IP4) students @NYGH,

is Physics compulsory, for (IP3 and IP4) girls, since @HCI, Physics is compulsory ?
Only Chem is compulsory

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:179

Post by phtthp » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:02 pm

Thank you very much, Imp75, for clarification :-)

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:209

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:32 am

phtthp wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:45 pm
MyPillow wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:07 pm

mine got 3 humanities :siam:

my kid teachers (or sch) encourages 2 Pure Sci, 2 Humans( Geo, His/ss OR Geo/ss , Hist)

triple sci is also popular among kids who love Science esp Biology or aspire to be in medical field ( not necc doctors)

note : Pure History has more textbooks to study than Pure Geo . Also elective hist study Eu wars - germany, russia etc Pure Hist focus on se asia as well - alot to swallow. - info for parents n kids to decide well .. go n ask the sch senior, teachers now to get more insight...
Hi MP,

does your child intend to do Econs in Year 5 ? If Yes, don't do Triple humanities at ( IP3 and IP4 ), because Econs will replace one of them later in Year 5.

Otherwise, you end up studying so much just for 2 years, and after that got to drop, because Econs come in
On the other hand, if your child doesn't want to do sciences in JC, triple Humanities is fine. How many science subjects is he taking? Anyway, the Humanities subjects give good background understanding for Econs, and something learned is never totally wasted.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:107

Post by lee_yl » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:51 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:58 am
lee_yl wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:13 pm
My DD1 is worried if Yr3/Yr4 she does not hit 65% and above, she will only do Sc at H1 level and she will be finished!
I don't understand this? Is the 65% referring to overall results? Or to a specific subject? And "Sc at H1" - does that mean she fears she will not be in the Science stream? Surely the criteria for choosing to take a particular science is dependant on the performance in that science (and maybe Maths), not the overall average?

I was too busy yesterday to respond, but I did read your questions about choosing between triple/double science and Hist/Geog. For the triple/double choice, it would depend on the child's ability to take that many subjects, and whether she can decide which science to drop.

Personally, I feel that students should take subjects they are interested in, given a choice, even if they don't seem to be doing that well. Interest will help them figure out ways to improve, but disinterest can mean that when the work gets harder (and it will), they may flounder later. All subjects are "different" in lower vs upper sec, and different again in JC, so early performance may not be a very good predictor of later performance. You have to assess whether she is not doing well because of less important factors (like fussy teachers) or that she really can't understand the work. But for the Hist/Geog choice, if she doesn't really care one way or the other, then other factors (like father's availability to coach) will come into play.

Again, personally, I found Geog easier to handle as it's less subjective. I love reading history, but refused to study it as a subject after Sec 2 (I had a really bad Hist teacher in Sec 2, and Hist wasn't offered to Science students in my time). I find that Geog has less memory work (no dates!) than Hist, and because it has more "logic" to it, I found it easier.

Just my opinion.
DD1’s teacher told her that she would need to maintain minimum 65% to be offered Science at H2 level during Yr5. This is the school policy.

I am a bit confused about the requirements, guess requires overall results above 65% and the Sc subject itself also above 65% (B3)?

Girl is worried about not being offered the Science subject at H2 in Yr 5, as she noticed that many of the Uni courses require her to have H2 Sc.

DD1 loves Biology and really hates Physics. According to DH, DD1 spent most of her time studying Biology cos it’s her favorite subject but she just couldn’t score. In fact, she hardly touches Physics and Chemistry but got A1s. Her school teacher seems to have brainwashed her to focus on 2 Sciences but i will try to persuade her to take triple Science if possible.

As for History and Geo, she loves them equally. DH said to treat learning history like a case study, to place oneself in the shoes of the protagonist and see / analyse how events unfold .....

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:209

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:11 am

lee_yl wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:51 am
DD1’s teacher told her that she would need to maintain minimum 65% to be offered Science at H2 level during Yr5. This is the school policy.

I am a bit confused about the requirements, guess requires overall results above 65% and the Sc subject itself also above 65% (B3)?

Girl is worried about not being offered the Science subject at H2 in Yr 5, as she noticed that many of the Uni courses require her to have H2 Sc.

DD1 loves Biology and really hates Physics. According to DH, DD1 spent most of her time studying Biology cos it’s her favorite subject but she just couldn’t score. In fact, she hardly touches Physics and Chemistry but got A1s. Her school teacher seems to have brainwashed her to focus on 2 Sciences but i will try to persuade her to take triple Science if possible.
I think you should get your daughter to clarify what the 65% refers to. It does make quite a lot of difference whether it's 65% average across all subjects, or 65% for that specific subject, or both. If it's 65% average then she should avoid subjects which could pull down her average, but if it's the specific subject, she can plan to focus on improving her Bio and not worry too much about subjects that she's not planning to take in JC.

The requirements in individual subjects differs quite a lot from lower to upper sec to JC. At lower sec, they are only learning the very basic stuff. Just because she's not done well in lower sec (or conversely, that she's done well) doesn't mean that this will be the case going on. If she spent a lot of time on Bio, it could still mean that she didn't focus enough on the specifics of how to answer questions for that particular level (or the requirements are too micro and formulaic, and may loosen up at higher levels). You may want to find out exactly what her difficulties are, and whether they are likely to still be a problem in higher levels. Similarly for Physics - she may be coping well because it's still basic, but she may run into difficulties when the conceptual load increases in later years.

Schools tend to advise double science on the premise that triple science is heavy on understanding, and students can only do 2 sciences at A levels anyway, while Humanities subjects only require "memorisation". My daughter took triple science in upper sec because she really couldn't decide which to drop at that point in time, then dropped Bio in JC. But she doesn't regret taking it as it has given her at least some basics in the subject. Humanities subjects are easier to just read up on your own, and quite a bit of GP is Humanities-related, so she doesn't feel she lost out much. She also took Lit in upper sec as her only Humanities subject (other than SS) because she liked it, even though she was told that it was "less useful" and "harder to score" than Hist or Geog, and she was quite sure she wouldn't switch to Arts stream in JC.

Each student should decide for themselves what their bent is. In your daughter's case, since she hates Physics, she could just do Bio and Chem as she's not likely to take Physics in JC (unless you think there's a chance she will change her opinion of Physics if she takes it for another 2 years, or that she will still do well and it will help bring up her average). It will seem "wasted" to give up a subject she has done well in, but to me, liking a subject is a greater predictor of later success than lower sec performance. And as I said, Physics gets tougher at higher levels. Students who do well in early years may be doing well by learning in ways that don't work in later years, but the student, teacher and parent has to try to figure out if that's the case.

Not sure this helps!

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:179

Post by phtthp » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:54 am

doodbug wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:46 am
I have another child moving to EJC and hence I am also concerned with the prerequisites for reading subjects at EJC...

I'll have to do more research.

Thanks for sharing phtthp.
hi doodbug,

for IP4 parents briefing conducted recently in 2019 Semester 2 inside St Nick auditorium, Principal (Eunoia JC) came over and gave parents (students) the detailed Promotional requirements for IP4 students, into EJC (Year 5)

https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/foru ... 2#p1934962

i'll also pm you the detailed requirements

doodbug
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:11

Post by doodbug » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:07 pm

Thanks very much phtthp. My DD in SCGS has not reached Sec 3 yet, so I don't know what the Sec 3 & 4 subject requirements are. I only know need 60% to promote from Sec 1 IP to Sec 2 IP, wahhahaha.

HCI Sec 3 and 4, compulsory subjects are 2 Languages, 2 Maths, Physics and Chem.

sky minecrafter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:17

Post by sky minecrafter » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:38 pm

Last edited by sky minecrafter on Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doodbug
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:11

Post by doodbug » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:34 pm

sky minecrafter wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:38 pm
Hello doodbug, could I get your opinion? My (IP) child's dual track school will let him practise both IP and Express papers for exams. Also, promotion criteria are different for both tracks. How about yours? Thanks!

Mine, dc1, Year3 compulsory: LA MT MA CH ...
Hi Sky Minecrafter,

I am not sure about the promotional criteria for O level track vs IP track......

As for exam papers, I'm not sure what my kids are practising - I leave them completely on their own as far as academic work goes. Ever since they stepped into Sec 1, I have not even ever looked at a single test paper or assignment. Oops.

The only thing I do is source for tuition if they ask for it. And recently, the son informed us of his Sec 3 option choices, and we were okay with it. Heh.

sky minecrafter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:17

Post by sky minecrafter » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:40 pm

d(⌒ー⌒) doodbug