Student Care Centre for Sec 1 & 2?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Student Care Centre for Sec 1 & 2?

Postby ApronMama » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:32 am

Understand After School Care Centre extend their service till Sec 2. Parents who used this service when their teens were in pr school, do you still let your sec 1 & 2 children attend this service?
My neighbour's child (sec1) usually don't do homework after school till my neighbour came home after work to nag at him. By then after dinner it will be not much time left before bedtime. Is letting him go to a after school care centre a good solution, what do most student care centre do with sec 1&2? Any sharing ?
Any better suggestions on alternative arrangement is greatly appreciated. Getting a maid is out cos no other adult at home with the teen (boy). TIA.

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby caroline3sg » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:32 am

Secondary sch kids can be left at home after sch. They are big enough. Unless you or your neighbour worry about playing too much computer games / become victim of some websites or bring home bf/gf.

My sec 1 girl does her homework after eat/bath/laundry. Sometimes nap.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ApronMama » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:18 am

Thanks for responding. Wonder if it is OK to install a CCTV to watch them/their safety since no others are at home. Any parent does that?

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kuzco » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:18 am

Yes, agree with caroline3sg that sec sch kids can be left at home. My ds was at a studentcare until P6. Even then, during P5 and P6 years, he was quite reluctant to go to the studentcare after school, preferring to stay back in his primary school to do his homework. Said that the younger kids at the studentcare were very distracting. He would then go home on his own after completing his work in school.

As for secondary school students, I think they would be even more reluctant to go to studentcare. It's a tricky situation with your neighbour's son. Maybe he would rather relax and prefers to do his homework later. I know some people work better in the evenings. My ds is also one of those who prefers to work in the evenings.

kuzco
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guan Hui » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:05 am

ApronMama wrote:Thanks for responding. Wonder if it is OK to install a CCTV to watch them/their safety since no others are at home. Any parent does that?

sorry if i sound rude. But I think it is the worst ever idea to put cctv to watch them. If my parents were to put them, I will only have 1 thought in mind...
"They don't trust me."
Most probably you won't trust a person who you think they don't trust you?
Just my opinion=/

Guan Hui
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support