LEARNConcierge

What is L1R5?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: What is L1R5?

Postby floppy » Tue May 16, 2017 2:08 pm

lastdaynight wrote:
Im planing to take A level , and put my focus on chinese subjects that are avilable ... But im not sure without the combination of chinese lit , will it be aviliable ?

I'll spare you the niceties.

Given all that you have said (which I've truncated), you are likely to face the following issues at A Level:
1. Struggle with GP.
2. Struggle with your contrasting subject.
3. You only have Arts Stream (or Commerce at MI) as an option because let's face it, what you have said is a signal that you will be slaughtered in a Science Stream.

With the above in mind, the number of doors open to you in the local universities are going to be limited.

Are you sure you want to do A Level?

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby learningchapters » Tue May 16, 2017 2:53 pm

lastdaynight wrote:Wow ! Thanks alot!
But i was wondering if i could take chinese literature as one of the subjects , but am afraid that i cant take it as my school does not support it .
Funny to say , i heard they did not support english literature too.
Is it possible for me to take both at o level myself ? Or should i try my best to get better grades and transfer out at the end of the year? ( streaming this year )
I really hope to take history and the two lits as these are the only ones i can score better in

If you wish to take a subject that your school doesn't offer, you will need to get your school's approval before you can take it up. And you will need to find a private tutor who is able to guide you on the subject, as it might not be easy to do a self study for certain subjects if you are missing out resources like notes or past year papers etc.

And the reason why you will need to seek the school's approval is because at the end of the day, when you register for O levels, you are not taking the subject as a private candidate but will be registered as a school candidate.

Hope that helps :)

learningchapters
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lastdaynight » Tue May 16, 2017 3:44 pm

floppy wrote:
lastdaynight wrote:
Im planing to take A level , and put my focus on chinese subjects that are avilable ... But im not sure without the combination of chinese lit , will it be aviliable ?

Given all that you have said (which I've truncated), you are likely to face the following issues at A Level:
1. Struggle with GP.
3. You only have Arts Stream (or Commerce at MI) as an option because let's face it, what you have said is a signal that you will be slaughtered in a Science Stream.

With the above in mind, the number of doors open to you in the local universities are going to be limited.

Thanks for your reply! Really appreciate it :)

I am quite unsure on the understanding of a contrasting subject ....

A level is something that i really hope i can be in , but i am pretty sure i am hoping for a subject in chinese or china studies for it.

With practise , i hope my studies in science can improve... I dont really understand what you mean by being slaughtered in the stream ?

I agree that the choice of studies are limited , but there are choices , i surely hope. :)

It would be great if advice can be given ^^

:thankyou:

lastdaynight
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby lastdaynight » Tue May 16, 2017 3:45 pm

learningchapters wrote:
lastdaynight wrote:Wow ! Thanks alot!
But i was wondering if i could take chinese literature as one of the subjects , but am afraid that i cant take it as my school does not support it .
Funny to say , i heard they did not support english literature too.
Is it possible for me to take both at o level myself ? Or should i try my best to get better grades and transfer out at the end of the year? ( streaming this year )
I really hope to take history and the two lits as these are the only ones i can score better in

If you wish to take a subject that your school doesn't offer, you will need to get your school's approval before you can take it up. And you will need to find a private tutor who is able to guide you on the subject, as it might not be easy to do a self study for certain subjects if you are missing out resources like notes or past year papers etc.

And the reason why you will need to seek the school's approval is because at the end of the day, when you register for O levels, you are not taking the subject as a private candidate but will be registered as a school candidate.

Hope that helps :)

Thank you so much!!!! ^^

lastdaynight
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby pirate » Tue May 16, 2017 4:09 pm

lastdaynight wrote:
floppy wrote:
lastdaynight wrote:

1. Struggle with GP.

Thanks for your reply! Really appreciate it :)

A level is something that i really hope i can be in , but i am pretty sure i am hoping for a subject in chinese or china studies for it.

With practise , i hope my studies in science can improve... I dont really understand what you mean by being slaughtered in the stream ?

I agree that the choice of studies are limited , but there are choices , i surely hope. :)

Something like this at local universities?

http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/chs/eng/admission/prospective_undergraduate_students.html

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Tue May 16, 2017 4:13 pm

lastdaynight wrote:Thanks for your reply! Really appreciate it :)

If you are in Arts stream, you will need to take Maths or a Science as your contrasting subject. You can take Maths as your H1 if you don't think you can manage it at H2 level. Most JCs require you to take Maths.

There are some A level subjects in Chinese you can consider: China Studies, Chinese Lang and Lit, Translation (Chinese). These are all H2 subjects, and all considered "arts". Not all JCs offer them, so again, you will have to see which ones do, and whether you think you can get in. I don't know if JCs restrict the no. of "Chinese" A levels a student can take.

If you aren't interested in sciences, you can drop them after O level, as long as you have enough other subjects to fill your subject combination, bearing in mind that most JCs will have some limitations on the combinations offered.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby qms » Tue May 16, 2017 6:16 pm

lastdaynight wrote:Thanks for your reply! Really appreciate it :)

Personally, I think you should discuss with your form teacher on the options available to you because we do not know what exactly are offered by your school and the respective requirement.

It is not advisable for you to think about transfer to another school that offers the subjects you want to take because it will bring with itself another set of problems. E.g. the SAP school that I mentioned earlier that offers Literature in both languages. In this school, both A Maths and Chemistry are compulsory subjects and the school does not offer combined Science. Is this something that you are willing to take on?

So, just work within whatever is available in your school. Who knows, you may obtain a new perspective after speaking with your form teacher.

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby anxious.dad » Tue May 16, 2017 10:58 pm

lastdaynight wrote:My Studies right now:

I proberbly will be taking Hcl instead of english , as my english is not something that will be able to excel, although i am trying my best.

The subject combinations im planing to take is : Hcl , Social Studies , History / El lit , Chinese Lit , Biology and perhaps Elementary Math.

To proceed to a JC to do A Level, you must have a pass in both EL and Maths (either EM or AM). Although you may used HCL in the calculation of L1R5 instead of EL, EL must be offered as a subject at the O Level. Has your school conducted a talk on the subject combination available next year and the streaming criteria? Based on your sharing, your preferred subject combination is not feasible as your school offers Chemistry as the compulsory science subject and does not offer C Lit. If you are to choose a pure science combination next year, chances are that you have to offer AM, without AM a student will not be able to study H2 Maths in JC. If you are very sure that you do not wish to study science stream in the JC, you may opt for combined science (C/B), that is, if your school offers this option.

anxious.dad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:14 am

What were GCE O level Average or mean score for L1R5 :
in (SCGS, MGS, Cedar, Crescent) Girls Secondary, past 3 years (2016, 2015, 2014) O level batches cohort ?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lee_yl » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:49 pm

phtthp wrote:What were GCE O level Average or mean score for L1R5 :
in (SCGS, MGS, Cedar, Crescent) Girls Secondary, past 3 years (2016, 2015, 2014) O level batches cohort ?

I once saw in the SCGS school magazine, for year 2012, the subject mean score was 2.0, with more than 50% of the cohort, L1R5 scoring 8 or better. For recent years, the school has stopped publishing results.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge