O levels.

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

O levels.

Postby blablayeax » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:26 pm

hello.
is it hard to get 5 points for olevels?
my daughter takes MEP, Japanese for a third language and higher mother tongue.
what grade will she have to get for each subject and what are the subject combinations?
and if she wants to DSA to ACS(I), does she still have to meet a certain cut off point?

blablayeax
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: O levels.

Postby ruyu » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:42 pm

blablayeax wrote:hello.
what grade will she have to get for each subject and what are the subject combinations?
and if she wants to DSA to ACS(I), does she still have to meet a certain cut off point?

What school is she in? As 3rd language is only offered to the top 10% of the cohort. SO she is not in a IP school

ruyu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guan Hui » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:11 am

I dunno much about DSA.. but I know 5 points means A1 for eng/1 humans/1 maths/1 science and 1 other subject=D

Guan Hui
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MdmKS » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:53 am

Guan Hui wrote:I dunno much about DSA.. but I know 5 points means A1 for eng/1 humans/1 maths/1 science and 1 other subject=D

That is just one scenario, but I think nowadays, student can use good CCA score to offset their point of up to 2 points.

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: O levels.

Postby xxjustakidxx » Thu May 06, 2010 10:48 pm

ruyu wrote:
blablayeax wrote:hello.

What school is she in? As 3rd language is only offered to the top 10% of the cohort. SO she is not in a IP school

Not necessarily, I have a large number of friends coming from IJ schools (CHIJ chains FYI) taking third language. Last year, top 10 percent was a pathetic 248, while IP COP was 250 (NYGH affliation)

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby xxjustakidxx » Sat May 08, 2010 8:16 pm

MdmKS wrote:
Guan Hui wrote:I dunno much about DSA.. but I know 5 points means A1 for eng/1 humans/1 maths/1 science and 1 other subject=D

That is just one scenario, but I think nowadays, student can use good CCA score to offset their point of up to 2 points.

And HMT for another 2 score. Then, if applying to JC offering CLEP and applicant has sucessfully applied for CLEP, another 2 points.

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby blablayeax » Sun May 09, 2010 5:01 pm

ummm she's in CHIJ St Nicholas Girls' (:
She appealed to get 3rd lang.
what's the COP for ACS(I)?

blablayeax
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby xxjustakidxx » Sun May 09, 2010 7:59 pm

blablayeax wrote:ummm she's in CHIJ St Nicholas Girls' (:
She appealed to get 3rd lang.
what's the COP for ACS(I)?

COP is 5, it only has science stream, as it does not offer CLEP, max bonus marks is four.
Whereas for HCI, COP is 3 but you can get another 2 bonus marks (max 6) by applying for CLEP, and a sucessful application gains you the bonus marks. It is also applicable for TJC and JJC.

I'm sec 1 by the way, and I'm in the IP. So I might be wrong because of my lack of exposure to the O level curriculum.

And to (pick) on Guan Hui's mistake, the least an O level candidate can get is 6, and not 5. They have a choice to choose between chinese and english for computing in the language section. Its called L1R5 for a reason. 6 subjects are computed. 1 Language, 5 Relevant subjects depending on the stream. Again, as I'm from IP and only sec 1, I might be horribly wrong.

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby blablayeax » Sun May 09, 2010 8:49 pm

ummmm what's CLEP?
and how about DSA?
is there a cut off point?

blablayeax
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby xxjustakidxx » Sun May 09, 2010 11:02 pm

blablayeax wrote:ummmm what's CLEP?
and how about DSA?
is there a cut off point?

CLEP = Chinese language elective programme. Currently, Hwa chong, TJC, JJC and (some others) has it. If you apply for CLEP, you get an extra 2 bonus marks applying to these schools. For example, Hwa Chong has a CP of 3. 9-2(CCA)-2(HMT)-2(CLEP)= with 9 points, you still can get into HCI. But this is not applicable to ACS(I) nor RJC, NJC, or VJC. I'm not sure about DSA.

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support