Preparing For O-Levels

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
laughoutloudyolo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Preparing For O-Levels

Post by laughoutloudyolo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:22 am

Where can we source for such questions please? TIA

A better tomorrow
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by A better tomorrow » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:00 am

May I know if correction tape can be used in o levels ? Will marks be deducted for usage of correction tape ? Dd's teacher said that it cannot be used . Is it true ?

secschbioteacher
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by secschbioteacher » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:18 pm

A better tomorrow

I attached an O level cover page for you to read the INSTRUCTIONS carefully.

Note the line that says:

DO NOT USE STAPLES, PAPER CLIPS, GLUE AND CORRECTION FLUID.

Cambridge markers will not minus marks per se for the use of correction tape and fluid, but common problems seen by Cambridge markers are:

1) Students often cover their mistakes with correction fluid, let it dry a while and FORGOT to come back to the blank space to fill it up. Hence they lose stupid marks.

2) As exam papers are often stacked up in huge piles, hence under prolonged pressure, the correction tape came off and got stuck to the opposite page of the paper. Of course the problem here is that the wrong answer underneath is exposed and the candidate's answer got truncated or skewed in meaning. Again more marks is lost.

So the best thing is not to use any correction fluid/tape at all. Kick the habit by not buying any. Cancelling neatly is good enough.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:38

Post by starlight1968sg » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:34 pm

For mums with kids taking O levels now:
Latest Junior College cut-off points reignite debate on Singapore’s education system
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/latest-junior ... 38035.html

kgoh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by kgoh » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:47 am

Starlight, actually it's not much different from my time (about 20 years ago). I got into Hwa Chong JC with 8 points (but minus 2 for HCL and minus 2 for CCA).

What's more interesting is the question of why grades matter so much to us. Some people say to go to better schools. Why? I asked my friends (my ex-students and parents) and each had a different take.

I wonder what the parents here think. Why is it so important that our kids score well and go to famous schools? Is there any parent who dares to say that marks don't matter at all?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:67

Post by zbear » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:32 am

kgoh wrote:Starlight, actually it's not much different from my time (about 20 years ago). I got into Hwa Chong JC with 8 points (but minus 2 for HCL and minus 2 for CCA).

What's more interesting is the question of why grades matter so much to us. Some people say to go to better schools. Why? I asked my friends (my ex-students and parents) and each had a different take.

I wonder what the parents here think. Why is it so important that our kids score well and go to famous schools? Is there any parent who dares to say that marks don't matter at all?

Do you have kids in JC now? If you go into the JC Parent Networking Thread, you will see discussions on the vast difference in standard of top vs mid vs low tier JCs.

Grades are not so important at PSLE as generally the disparity in standard of Sec Schools is not so great. So ALL SCHOOLS ARE GOOD holds some truth here. But if you want to do well in A levels n get into your choice faculty in Uni, then good grades n entering a better JC do matter as competition is extremely stiff.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:38

Post by starlight1968sg » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:34 pm

kgoh wrote:Starlight, actually it's not much different from my time (about 20 years ago). I got into Hwa Chong JC with 8 points (but minus 2 for HCL and minus 2 for CCA).

in a country with no natural resources, education seems the only way to move up. So marks & grades are impt in order to get the essential qualification to earn a decent living.
Correct?

Newtandcucumber
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Newtandcucumber » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:20 pm

tsh0202 wrote:Hi,
Anyone knows where to get extra practice paper (besides the 10-year series) for German 'O' level?
TIA.

Is there a ten year series for German, if so, can you are the publishers as I cannot find on google

Magacone
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Magacone » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:46 am

My dd is in sec 3 this year and we are looking for a reliable and dedicated pure physics home tutor. We stay in Aljunied. If you have any recommendations, appreciate it if you could pm me the contact.

lee_family33
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by lee_family33 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:18 pm

My Boy is in Sec 3 this year and we are looking for a Physics, AMath and Chem Group tutor. We are staying in Yishun. If you have any recommendations, Please pm me the contact. Very much Appreciated!