LEARNConcierge

Preparing For O-Levels

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: Preparing For O-Levels

Postby mathtuition88 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:36 pm

One tip for O-Levels is to construct a revision timetable that is realistic and well-planned. Make sure that every subject is covered, and devote more time to the weaker subjects.

For Math subjects (also applicable for Sciences like Physics, Chemistry), ensure that there is sufficient practice in terms of doing past year questions. In fact, reading the textbook should take up minimal time (around 5-10% of your revision), just so to get the basics so that you can proceed to do questions.

It is well-known among tutors and top students that reading the Math textbook is unproductive for O level Maths. Most of the understanding and improvement actually takes place when the student attempts real questions. Looking at the answer is only allowed after trying very hard.

mathtuition88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SuccessTutors » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Each time that my kids had to prepare for major exams, I'd let them do whatever they wanted. I wanted to be sure that they are able to relax. They know they need to get very good grades in order to get into the schools/universities of their choice, and I needed to know that their minds are fresh and they are emotionally calm. Worked well.

SuccessTutors
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

when to repeat O Levels

Postby karenmok » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:41 pm

Hi,
Some kids repeat o-levels while others continue even with poor scores.
What are the benefits of repeating the o-level and which type of students do this?
Thanks, Karen

karenmok
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: when to repeat O Levels

Postby iceywind88 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:00 pm

karenmok wrote:Hi,
Some kids repeat o-levels while others continue even with poor scores.
What are the benefits of repeating the o-level and which type of students do this?
Thanks, Karen

the benefits are obvious. basically they avoid the ITE route.

iceywind88
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mum422 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:02 pm

SuccessTutors wrote:Each time that my kids had to prepare for major exams, I'd let them do whatever they wanted. I wanted to be sure that they are able to relax. They know they need to get very good grades in order to get into the schools/universities of their choice, and I needed to know that their minds are fresh and they are emotionally calm. Worked well.

haha I tell that to my children, they will TOTALLY boh-chap. I definitely must push them until they move on their behinds.

mum422
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ThinkEnglish » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:19 pm

A few tried and tested strategies.
Study groups with like-minded peers who are intrinsically motivated to do well for the exams and are focused on revision.
Teachers are usually free for consultation in school in the afternoons, even during the study breaks. They can approach the teachers for help whenever needed.
Come up with a revision timetable with topics to focus on everyday. Include break times in between.
Complete past year national exam papers and other schools' prelim papers.
Eat well, sleep well, get enough exercise.

ThinkEnglish
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

1 people like this post

Postby kitty2 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:40 am

Anyone can share how to do well or prepare well for o level elective Geo? My nephew is weak in it and kind of going to be burnt out ! :( . He didn't do well for prelim :(

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jazzy817 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:59 am

hello. Can anyone advise me which scientific calculators are permitted for E-math and A-math? Tried to look up in MOE's website but can't find

jazzy817
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:17 am

jazzy817 wrote:hello. Can anyone advise me which scientific calculators are permitted for E-math and A-math? Tried to look up in MOE's website but can't find

It's on SEAB's website.
http://www.seab.gov.sg/content/calculat ... lators.pdf

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vinegar » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:33 am

karenmok wrote:
This friend of mine was telling me about her son's performance. He is in sec 3 express. He fared poorly in year-end exams. Either he needs to repeat sec 3 express or move to sec 4 NA. She is very depressed and angry with son. How can I console her?

Hw did he fare in sec 1 and 2?

vinegar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge