LEARNConcierge

Preparing For O-Levels

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: Preparing For O-Levels

Postby hider » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:11 am

It is common to see some students not doing well academically in Sec 3 but most of these students will pick up early in Sec 4. Students tend to be busy with homework and school activities like camps, CCA, CIP, functions, etc. Time management is key to their success here. Students also tend to be more matured in Sec 4 , finally releasing what needs to be done. Do not stop working with our youths :)

hider
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby nucleus80 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:29 pm

A better tomorrow wrote:May I know if correction tape can be used in o levels ? Will marks be deducted for usage of correction tape ? Dd's teacher said that it cannot be used . Is it true ?

I think there's no official rule of no correction rape for O-level, but most of the time the tape wears off while the papers are on their way to Cambridge, so it is strongly not advisable.

nucleus80
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby A better tomorrow » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:56 pm

:thankyou: Secschbioteacher and nucleus80 for replying to my query . I have asked dd to stop using correction tape for the time being till the end of the o levels to get her accustomed to canceling using a pen instead of reaching out to get the correction tape . Saves my money on refills too :moneyflies:

A better tomorrow
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Preparing For O-Levels

Postby karenmok » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:46 am

This friend of mine has come from China. Her kid is in sec3 express and faring very badly in SA1. She is thinking of sending the boy back to China. I tried to encourage her but she is addamant. She says that the boy will surely fail in Sec 3 or O level and the family will lose face. I told her to move the boy to Normal Stream or even repeat 1 year. But she is losing hope. How can I encourage her? I suggested tuition also but she says "no money".

karenmok
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby zbear » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:24 am

karenmok wrote:This friend of mine has come from China. Her kid is in sec3 express and faring very badly in SA1. She is thinking of sending the boy back to China. I tried to encourage her but she is addamant. She says that the boy will surely fail in Sec 3 or O level and the family will lose face. I told her to move the boy to Normal Stream or even repeat 1 year. But she is losing hope. How can I encourage her? I suggested tuition also but she says "no money".

Don't need to encourage or persuade her. If she feels her child doesn't fit into our education system, she can always go back home, at least she has an option to fall back on unlike we Singaporeans.

Perhaps her child can excel better back home? It's not necessary to study in SiN.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby minty1 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:13 pm

Anyone has good Maths tutor to recommend for O Levels Maths? We are staying in Tampines. Thanks in advance.

minty1
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zbear » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:29 pm

minty1 wrote:Anyone has good Maths tutor to recommend for O Levels Maths? We are staying in Tampines. Thanks in advance.

Isn't it a bit too late for this year's O Levels?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 pm

zbear wrote:
minty1 wrote:Anyone has good Maths tutor to recommend for O Levels Maths? We are staying in Tampines. Thanks in advance.

Isn't it a bit too late for this year's O Levels?

If you are looking for a tutor for next year's O levels, there is still time.
E Math exam falls on this Thursday/Friday. A bit difficult to do anything now.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby questionable_i » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:42 pm

Is there any good assessment books that guy all would recommend for Chemistry, Biology and A-Math?

questionable_i
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby karenmok » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:17 am

hider wrote:It is common to see some students not doing well academically in Sec 3 but most of these students will pick up early in Sec 4. Students tend to be busy with homework and school activities like camps, CCA, CIP, functions, etc. Time management is key to their success here. Students also tend to be more matured in Sec 4 , finally releasing what needs to be done. Do not stop working with our youths :)

This friend of mine was telling me about her son's performance. He is in sec 3 express. He fared poorly in year-end exams. Either he needs to repeat sec 3 express or move to sec 4 NA. She is very depressed and angry with son. How can I console her?

karenmok
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge