Preparing For O-Levels

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
kiasumom1
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Preparing For O-Levels

Post by kiasumom1 » Sun May 05, 2019 12:45 pm

foodie4stuff wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:40 pm
floppy wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:03 am
Icylin wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:52 am
Any ideas how can we help them to prepare as parents in general? Like what kind of support?
Allowing them to study outside is it a better idea?
Prepare tonic, essence of children, chauffeur if necessary, moral support, shoulder to cry on, prepare coffee / milo/ tissue paper, if neighbors make too much noise prepare to burn down their house etc

Some people study better at home, some people study better outside, some people are better off not studying at all.

There isn’t a standard answer.
lol prepare to burn their house

but sadly really got a problem of the neighbour upstairs dragging furniture :imdrowning: :?:
might sounds stupid, but call police. I resolved a similar problem like yours using the police.

HumanitiesGoddess
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by HumanitiesGoddess » Mon May 06, 2019 3:36 am

rainmaker74447 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:20 pm
Hi,
Anyone knows where to get extra practice paper (besides the 10-year series) for Geography 'O' level?
You can either buy them online from vendors who carry sch papers or you can go to Bras Basah complex to get them. I prefer buying for my private tutees the hardcopies so it feels more authentic. We usually work through 5 years worth of 10-yr series papers (2014-2018), MYE & Prelims school papers for about 10-15 schools from 2016-2018.

Do note that the Geog syllabus has been revised twice so anything prior to 2015 is not an accurate reflection of how the paper looks like.

HumanitiesGoddess
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by HumanitiesGoddess » Mon May 06, 2019 3:42 am

darnocwee wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:44 pm
rainmaker74447 wrote:Hi,
Anyone knows where to get extra practice paper (besides the 10-year series) for Geography 'O' level?
spam doing geography paper isnt the way to go, simply becuase geography is a content subject, you need to memorise the whole textbook from cover to cover.
I do hope you were being sarcastic. Geography in this era is not like the past. The problem is that many students still believe that memorising the whole textbook and then vomitting the answer out is the way to go. And then they get really upset cos they “still fail even though they studied so hard. “

It is all about question requirements and answering what the question wants within the given time limit.

The beauty of “spamming” geog papers is that you will be forced to learn the content too because you cant ans the qn without content. And your ans will be wrong unless you get your concepts right. So i rather a student do questions w the textbooks beside to refer to.

ilovelaksa
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:19

Post by ilovelaksa » Tue May 07, 2019 8:25 am

HumanitiesGoddess wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:42 am
darnocwee wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:44 pm

spam doing geography paper isnt the way to go, simply becuase geography is a content subject, you need to memorise the whole textbook from cover to cover.
I do hope you were being sarcastic. Geography in this era is not like the past. The problem is that many students still believe that memorising the whole textbook and then vomitting the answer out is the way to go. And then they get really upset cos they “still fail even though they studied so hard. “

It is all about question requirements and answering what the question wants within the given time limit.

The beauty of “spamming” geog papers is that you will be forced to learn the content too because you cant ans the qn without content. And your ans will be wrong unless you get your concepts right. So i rather a student do questions w the textbooks beside to refer to.
I totally agree with you.
My children do this for Geog and History.
I hv come to understand these 2 subjects can’t be scored with blind memory.
The spamming also helps to give a sense of the questioning style and from there, the skill is honed.
So far, nothing less than an A1 for my kids : )

MerlionInGermany
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:12

Geographical investigation

Post by MerlionInGermany » Tue May 07, 2019 10:30 am

How to study for geographical investigation?

I was at Popular yesterday, and saw guidebooks in geograhical investigation but no assessment books.

Poppypie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by Poppypie » Wed May 08, 2019 1:39 pm

Any of your kids taking O levels privately? I've heard of it but not sure how are they going to study by themselves??

mwchua
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by mwchua » Fri May 10, 2019 9:50 pm

Any recommendation on O level intensive course for English, A Maths and Chemistry held in June?

Many thanks.

mummyxoxo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by mummyxoxo » Sat May 11, 2019 3:36 pm

mwchua wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:50 pm
Any recommendation on O level intensive course for English, A Maths and Chemistry held in June?

Many thanks.
You may consider my dd1 ex tutor Miss Goh who is experienced in this aspect. For more info, you may contact her at 93989072.

rosemaryherb
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by rosemaryherb » Sat May 18, 2019 5:25 pm

Poppypie wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:39 pm
Any of your kids taking O levels privately? I've heard of it but not sure how are they going to study by themselves??
I don't think there are any non-school attending students taking O-level just like that. Those private candidates are probably retaking, I guess.

Elson
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Elson » Tue May 28, 2019 11:54 am

Anybody has good advice on how to prepare for o level English oral?