Bicultural Studies Programme 双文化课程 (year 3 to year

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Bicultural Studies Programme 双文化课程 (year 3 to year

Postby daisyt » Mon May 24, 2010 3:50 pm

Hi ... any parents with kids / students in Sec taking Bicultural Studies Programme? Would like to find out more on the subjects/topics study, whats the interesting part, the not so interesting part, pressure level, what are the other subjects you are taking as well etc ...

TIA :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Bicultural Studies Programme 双文化课程 (year 3 to

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon May 24, 2010 4:53 pm

daisyt wrote:Hi ... any parents with kids / students in Sec taking Bicultural Studies Programme? Would like to find out more on the subjects/topics study, whats the interesting part, the not so interesting part, pressure level, what are the other subjects you are taking as well etc ...

TIA :D

not sure whether it is true that the students are required to do Chinese history and literature in Chinese, and have to spend at least 6 weeks in the Beijing Campus of HCI .... if you are referring to HCI's bicultural program
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Mon May 24, 2010 5:00 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:not sure whether it is true that the students are required to do Chinese history and literature in Chinese, and have to spend at least 6 weeks in the Beijing Campus of HCI .... if you are referring to HCI's bicultural program

Yes, I have read about this "to do Chinese history and literature in Chinese" and "spend a few weeks in China campus". Its part of the syllabus. I hope to hear how students or parents find about these topics/subjects in the Bicultural Studies.

I think bicultural studies program is a MOE program, so regardless which school (HCI, NYGH, DHS, RVHS), the syllabus and programs should be the same. :?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wonderm » Mon May 24, 2010 10:42 pm

[quote="daisyt']
I think bicultural studies program is a MOE program, so regardless which school (HCI, NYGH, DHS, RVHS), the syllabus and programs should be the same. :?[/quote]

daisyt, I don't think the program is the same across different IP schools even though the students may participate in some MOE organized camps and modules.

The following 2 para are from RVHS website, which also seem to say their program is internally developed?

The River Valley High School (RVHS) Bicultural Studies (Chinese) (BSP) Programme is designed and developed by our Chinese, English and Humanities Departments.

The RVHS BSP brings out the critical issues and topics in bicultural studies, anchored in the Chinese Studies and Chinese Culture, situated in the cultural and literary contexts of Language and Literature.

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Tue May 25, 2010 9:44 am

Thanks wonderm for your clarification.

Any parents here have kids in BSP to share more? :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby xxjustakidxx » Tue May 25, 2010 9:56 am

daisyt wrote:Thanks wonderm for your clarification.

(yay home learning)
They take the following subjects in HCI.

Bi-Cultural Studies Programme (BSP):

* English (1AU)
* Higher Chinese (1AU)
* Maths (2AU)
* Physics (1 AU)
* Chemistry (1AU)
* Biology (1AU - OPTIONAL)
* Integrated Humanities (Core) & Integrated Humanities (Elective - for BSP it is preselected "D3.1 - Cultural Differentiation") (2AU)
* BSP Research (1AU)
* Total Academic Units: 10 or 9 (with or without Biology).

The programme starts from sec 3, as part of the CSE.

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:58 am

xxjustakidxx wrote:
daisyt wrote:Thanks wonderm for your clarification.

(yay home learning)
They take the following subjects in HCI.

Bi-Cultural Studies Programme (BSP):

* English (1AU)
* Higher Chinese (1AU)
* Maths (2AU)
* Physics (1 AU)
* Chemistry (1AU)
* Biology (1AU - OPTIONAL)
* Integrated Humanities (Core) & Integrated Humanities (Elective - for BSP it is preselected "D3.1 - Cultural Differentiation") (2AU)
* BSP Research (1AU)
* Total Academic Units: 10 or 9 (with or without Biology).

The programme starts from sec 3, as part of the CSE.

Kindly please indicate which subjects are using chinese text

thanks
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Tue May 25, 2010 10:00 am

Hi xxjustakidxx, what you mean "home learning"? Are you in the BSP class?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby xxjustakidxx » Tue May 25, 2010 10:09 am

daisyt wrote:Hi xxjustakidxx, what you mean "home learning"? Are you in the BSP class?

No. The whole school is doing so. I got that information from the CSE site.

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby daisyt » Tue May 25, 2010 10:24 am

xxjustakidxx wrote:
daisyt wrote:Hi xxjustakidxx, what you mean "home learning"? Are you in the BSP class?

No. The whole school is doing so. I got that information from the CSE site.

Sorry, maybe I was not clear enough. Bicultural studies can be a core subject for all year 3 and 4. But there is another programme called "Bicultural Studies Programme (Chinese)" from year 3 to year 6 (4 years). Here is the abstract from MOE website. The 4 schools that offer this prgramme, has a couple or more BSP classes. From my knowledge, beside the normal subjects combination choosen, BSP class students have to study one more package of BS subject.

Bicultural Studies Programme (Chinese) (BSP/C) & Special Assistance Plan (SAP) Scholarship
* 4-year programme from Secondary 3 to Pre-U 2.
* To nurture a core group of students with a deep understanding and appreciation of two cultures, so that they can interact effectively with China as well as relate to the West.
* In addition to Higher Chinese, students may offer electives such as Chinese history and Chinese philosophy.
* SAP scholarships are available for highly able students in the BSP(C). They provide a scholarship allowance of $1,000, funding for overseas immersion programmes and a waiver of school fees.

I am hoping to find out more from these BSP class students. :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support