What happens to students that don't do well in IP schools?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

What happens to students that don't do well in IP schools?

Postby 24by7mum » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:59 am

My niece is in P5 this year and her parents are looking at the IP program for Secondary School. One qn that came about is what happens to kids that do not well in IP schools after 4 years? Do they still continue in the school or do they have to transfer out? Some kids do well in primary school but not so well in secondary school. Please help. Thanks!

24by7mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: What happens to students that don't do well in IP school

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:01 am

24by7mum wrote:My niece is in P5 this year and her parents are looking at the IP program for Secondary School. One qn that came about is what happens to kids that do not well in IP schools after 4 years? Do they still continue in the school or do they have to transfer out? Some kids do well in primary school but not so well in secondary school. Please help. Thanks!

did they attend the IP schools open house this year ?

some schools make them sit for 'O' Levels and if good enough, take back, or rather no transfer out

some schools transfer them to other schools to do 'O' levels
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:33 am

Different school adapt different ways. Some have a O level class. Some would retain students. Some would get the students to transfer out.

Which school in particular are you looking at?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: What happens to students that don't do well in IP school

Postby 24by7mum » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:47 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:
24by7mum wrote:My niece is in P5 this year and her parents are looking at the IP program for Secondary School. One qn that came about is what happens to kids that do not well in IP schools after 4 years? Do they still continue in the school or do they have to transfer out? Some kids do well in primary school but not so well in secondary school. Please help. Thanks!

did they attend the IP schools open house this year ?

some schools make them sit for 'O' Levels and if good enough, take back, or rather no transfer out

some schools transfer them to other schools to do 'O' levels

I don't think so. Do you know which schools make them sit for O levels? My sis in law is afraid that if that happens, my niece will lose her confidence. She is a smart girl but not consistent. Hence the worry. Are there many such cases? Thanks!

24by7mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby 24by7mum » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:49 am

daisyt wrote:Different school adapt different ways. Some have a O level class. Some would retain students. Some would get the students to transfer out.

Which school in particular are you looking at?

Thanks! My sis in law is looking at either Nanyang Girls or RGS. Appreciate your input. Thanks

24by7mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jtoh » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:48 pm

I've heard of students in Nanyang who took their O levels. I'm not sure if the school made the weaker students take the exam, or if the students chose to do so themselves. Maybe parents who have girls in Nanyang can offer a clearer picture.

As for RGS, no one takes the O levels.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby 24by7mum » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:14 pm

[quote="jtoh"]I've heard of students in Nanyang who took their O levels. I'm not sure if the school made the weaker students take the exam, or if the students chose to do so themselves. Maybe parents who have girls in Nanyang can offer a clearer picture.

As for RGS, no one takes the O levels.[/quote

Thanks. I heard that there are girls who did well at PSLE but struggle thru their secondary years at RGS. Taking loads of tuition. My friend's daughter said that students from RI, RGS and HCI who attend the same physics tuition don't appear to know much at all! So surprising.

24by7mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sautille » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:06 am

HCI principal said in this year's Open House that there is a class of (14-15, I can't remember the exact figure) O level students in HCI. I don't recall him mentioning what will happen to this class after O levels though.

sautille
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby xxjustakidxx » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:28 am

sautille wrote:HCI principal said in this year's Open House that there is a class of (14-15, I can't remember the exact figure) O level students in HCI. I don't recall him mentioning what will happen to this class after O levels though.

They enter a suitable JC? Quite obvious right

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 24by7mum » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:33 am

sautille wrote:HCI principal said in this year's Open House that there is a class of (14-15, I can't remember the exact figure) O level students in HCI. I don't recall him mentioning what will happen to this class after O levels though.

Thanks for the information!

24by7mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support