Singapore Junior Chemistry Olympiah 2010

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Singapore Junior Chemistry Olympiah 2010

Postby WeiHan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:32 am

Hi,

Here is the result for 2010 junior chemistry olympiah

http://www.ri.edu.sg/sjcho/home.html

WeiHan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Singapore Junior Chemistry Olympiah 2010

Postby 24by7mum » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:40 am

WeiHan wrote:Hi,

Here is the result for 2010 junior chemistry olympiah

http://www.ri.edu.sg/sjcho/home.html

Thanks! I am so surprised at the results. RGS sent in 470 students and only 19 got medals. Something must be wrong???

24by7mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby WeiHan » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:58 pm

From my point of view, schools that have commendable results are Catholic High, River Valley High, Crescent Girls School and St Joseph Inst. The reason is the "expected performance" of the intake quality relative to the performance.

WeiHan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 24by7mum » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:05 pm

WeiHan wrote:From my point of view, schools that have commendable results are Catholic High, River Valley High, Crescent Girls School and St Joseph Inst. The reason is the "expected performance" of the intake quality relative to the performance.

Yes i agree that those schools have done well! Even CHIJ Toa Payoh who send in 28 students managed to garner 8 medals! But a lot is left to be said of some of the Premier schools especially RGS and NYGH!

24by7mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mjl » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:34 am

24by7mum wrote:Yes i agree that those schools have done well! Even CHIJ Toa Payoh who send in 28 students managed to garner 8 medals! But a lot is left to be said of some of the Premier schools especially RGS and NYGH!

RGS made it compulsory for all the Year 4s to take the SJChO. I think the results is okay considering that there is no training at all for the students. I guess if CHIJ Toa Payoh were to make it a compulsory competition, then it is likely that the school will win 8 out of 470 (just a random figure) instead of 8 out of 28 :lol: I am just trying to say that is not fair to decide if a school has done well based on the % of students participated who clinch awards.

mjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby WeiHan » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:30 pm

mjl wrote:
24by7mum wrote:Yes i agree that those schools have done well! Even CHIJ Toa Payoh who send in 28 students managed to garner 8 medals! But a lot is left to be said of some of the Premier schools especially RGS and NYGH!

RGS made it compulsory for all the Year 4s to take the SJChO. I think the results is okay considering that there is no training at all for the students. I guess if CHIJ Toa Payoh were to make it a compulsory competition, then it is likely that the school will win 8 out of 470 (just a random figure) instead of 8 out of 28 :lol: I am just trying to say that is not fair to decide if a school has done well based on the % of students participated who clinch awards.

But we may not be talking about % of students taking part in the competition. We are talking about absolute % of the entire cohort of students capable of getting a medal. You see the point? We want to see how many students in the cohort can win a medal and not the percentage of the students who have taken part. According to this measure, the absolute number of medals won by RGS is still surprisingly too low. The fact that they have sent the entire sec 4 to take part in the competition only prove that no potential medal winners have been left out.

As for training part, I concur that you may be right that there may be no extra training for some schools. It may prove certain things. 1. Even very good quality students need good education to develop their potential. 2. Schools that is most popular with the best intake may not necessarily mean that they provide better quality education than other schools.

WeiHan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:59 pm

I notice tt most of the top performers in all academics Olympiads are male .... :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mjl » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:35 am

WeiHan wrote:But we may not be talking about % of students taking part in the competition. We are talking about absolute % of the entire cohort of students capable of getting a medal. You see the point? We want to see how many students in the cohort can win a medal and not the percentage of the students who have taken part. According to this measure, the absolute number of medals won by RGS is still surprisingly too low. The fact that they have sent the entire sec 4 to take part in the competition only prove that no potential medal winners have been left out.

Hi WeiHan,
It is a known fact that boys are generally stronger than girls in Maths and Science, and girls are better than boys in linguistics, presentation skills, analytical skills and problem solving. For all Maths (you can refer to SMO results) & Science olympiads, without doubt the boys will perform better. If you have watched the recent NSC2010, you can see how RGS beat RI hands down in the studio presentation and on-site challenge (where problem solving and analytical skills are required) but lost badly to RI in the rapid fire round (which requires technical knowledge). RGS also performs extremely well in problem solving competitions like Odyssey of the Mind, which RI pales in comparision.

So it is natural that girls' schools like RGS or NYGH do not perform as well when compared to boys' schools or mixed schools like RI, NUS High and HCI. For girls' schools, if you are referring to absolute numbers, here are the number of medals won:
RGS 19
Crecent Girls 14
NYGH 9
TKGS 5
SCGS 5
Cedar Girls 0

RGS is definitely the top girls' school for Maths & Science. Therefore, I don't see anything surprising in the results.

mjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jtoh » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:44 am

Just an aside, for the National Science Challenge Quiz, in the rapid-fire round, RI was pressing the buzzer as soon as the host opened her mouth to read the question. Often times, she did not even get a word in. So RI's strategy was to buzz in and block off the other two schools from answering. They then took their time to answer the question once it was flashed on the projector, within the stipulated time limit. There were times they were unable to answer the question. In fact, in one instance, after buzzing in, the boys were going "I don't know, I don't know." But these were edited out in the final version that went on air.

So what I'm saying is, RI didn't win the round because of technical knowledge, but because of RI's strategy in buzzing in first. And it was an effective strategy, because they had nothing to lose coming into the final round in last place.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby snowz » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:53 am

jtoh wrote:Just an aside, for the National Science Challenge Quiz, in the rapid-fire round, RI was pressing the buzzer as soon as the host opened her mouth to read the question. Often times, she did not even get a word in. So RI's strategy was to buzz in and block off the other two schools from answering. They then took their time to answer the question once it was flashed on the projector, within the stipulated time limit. There were times they were unable to answer the question. In fact, in one instance, after buzzing in, the boys were going "I don't know, I don't know." But these were edited out in the final version that went on air.

So what I'm saying is, RI didn't win the round because of technical knowledge, but because of RI's strategy in buzzing in first. And it was an effective strategy, because they had nothing to lose coming into the final round in last place.

Should there be some rules and regulation... or something? :?

snowz
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support