Sports CCA or societies?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Sports CCA or societies?

Postby octopusmum » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Hi all

Had a discussion with ds who will be going to sec 1 next yr about the ccas that he should join... it is too early to talk about this but thought i should sound him out... He is interested in table tennis but i am worried that it would take too much of his time. with so many subjects to handle and a busy cca , how to find time to study? i tried to "psycho" him to go for things like robotics (if available). thought it wouldn't take up so much time and he can learn sth useful in the process....

would like to hear some advice from parents whose kids are currently in sec school. how do your child cope with ccas plus school work??

tks

octopusmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:08 pm

Just a word of caution that in secondary school, it is the CCA that chooses you and not you that chooses the CCA. Usually there are auditions/sports trials and only the top ones are selected for the CCA. The others have to make do with the 'leftover' CCAs.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby twilight » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:52 pm

jtoh wrote:Just a word of caution that in secondary school, it is the CCA that chooses you and not you that chooses the CCA. Usually there are auditions/sports trials and only the top ones are selected for the CCA. The others have to make do with the 'leftover' CCAs.

Yes this is true in my school too. The CCA chooses the people. They will give you a form to fill, but usually you won't get your first choice.

Which CCA to go for also depends on the school's niche area. For my school, clubs like robotics are the not so popular CCA so do check with the school.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ycpang » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:16 pm

jtoh wrote:Just a word of caution that in secondary school, it is the CCA that chooses you and not you that chooses the CCA. Usually there are auditions/sports trials and only the top ones are selected for the CCA. The others have to make do with the 'leftover' CCAs.

This is 100% correct. I rmb that my DS had to go for many different CCA trials and the stress was like taking exams, no kidding. If there is an opportunity, go for sport CCA. My reason is I want him to do sport to prepare for NS. He is in Waterpolo and he loves it.

ycpang
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Faun » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:38 pm

jtoh,

In Pri Sch,in each CCA, the talented ones get into the school team for competition but the rest still get to join at a recreational level. Is it not the same at sec. level? You mean all the members in the CCA are pros only?

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ycpang » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:22 am

Faun wrote:

jtoh,

In Pri Sch,in each CCA, the talented ones get into the school team for competition but the rest still get to join at a recreational level. Is it not the same at sec. level? You mean all the members in the CCA are pros only?

Everyone must join at least one CCA. It is just the matter whether you got the CCA of your choice. If you can't get the CCA you want, then u will be posted to those "left over" which is usually the uniform groups, as they need more ppl. For competitive sports, some top schools train like professional. 3 times per week and everyday when close to competition. Sometimes they have to miss lessons for competitions and no makeup class for them. External competition is always top priority. Some even have to miss class tests and to take the test later after competition.

ycpang
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:02 am

Faun wrote:

jtoh,

Not that they are pros but they prefer spending the time nurturing those who are likely to win medals and trophies for the school. That's how the schools earn their 'prestige' other than academics.

Usually, the school's niche area CCAs will have audition.
In my previous school, all sports CCA and music CCA require interview plus audition by the coach/instructor, CCA teachers, CCA students (seniors).

In some schools, their system is different. Example from one of the schools I've taught in:
1. CCA Open House -> Students and parents walk around to see what each CCA has to offer. Sign up for auditions if they are keen.
2. CCA audition day -> Students will have to sign up for auditions for the CCAs they are keen in. They will be given an 'appt' for the audition. Usually at the audition, the CCA teacher-in-charge will tell them if successful or not.
3. CCA Selection day -> They must put first choice for the CCA they passed the audition, else they will not be given priority. Some CCAs (the niche areas) have priority in choosing the students. There will be a 'CCA TEACHERS SHOWDOWN'. Meaning all the teachers will gather for meeting, the student's choices are indicated in Excel file. Teachers from niche area CCAs will get priority to select the students that passed their auditions and get the students they want. Sometimes, a student could have passed 3-4 auditions with niche CCAs (they try luck), then it will depend on their option form. We normally try to give them their first choice. However, if a certain CCA feels that that particular student is very good and we cannot do without that student, we will call up the student and parents on the spot to discuss before allocation.

I was in a niche CCA, so I normally get all the students I want in my CCA.
Then other teachers will be grumbling about them 'picking up the rejects'.

For Secondary School, please try to avoid clubs and societies. Not much CCA points from there. Your kid will lose out in the end.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby octopusmum » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:35 am

Thks for the advice . My concern is, if a kid joins a niche cca which takes up lots of time, where to find the time to study? Unless the kid is v bright and can juggle well.... But not many pple like that...

octopusmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ApronMama » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:12 am

similarly, will performaning arts groups which involve in SYF taking up a lot time ? Whether student are allowed to switch CCA if find cannot cope with studies later?
Last edited by ApronMama on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby octopusmum » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:46 am

Just want to add: will the kid still lose out if he spends too much time on CCas which affects his results and ultimately the "o" levels ?

octopusmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support