Advantages of taking H3 papers

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Advantages of taking H3 papers

Postby JustKP » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:59 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know the advantages for taking H3 papers for A level? Is it for scholarship? To enter certain courses in university? Or ...?

Hope to get some feedback. Thank you.

JustKP
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

hi

Postby kiasu_mum75 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:20 am

advantages are that can use to apply scholarships.. it used to be called "S" Papers in JC last time.. now they changed to H3 subjects... and can also be used to gain modular credits to NUS/NTU... depending on the course u choose when u enter uni... btw, not easy to study..very tough..certain lesson must go all the way to NUS to study...

kiasu_mum75
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sall » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:01 pm

Is H3 papers about the same standard as 'S' papers in the past? I suppose only the top few % of students can do H3. :?

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasu_mum75 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:56 pm

not really same standard lah...tougher i feel... i did S paper during my younger days... S paper physics and maths... both distinction... but i find it tougher now leh..maybe cos i've aged HAHA...yup only the top % can take H3... why? ur child taking? :)

kiasu_mum75
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby fatal-illuxions » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:11 pm

the most direct benefit will be that a H3 subject puts a person in an advantage/better position as compared to other people when applying for scholarships and universities that favour the particular H3 subject the person takes.

fatal-illuxions
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby autolycus » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:11 pm

The H3 papers are not like the old S-papers. Rather, they are more like 'enrichment modules' proposed and designed by local universities so that they don't have to teach the stuff to JC students. Or at least, that was my impression after examining the H3 materials.

I think they require too much fact-retention and too little thinking. The skills imparted are the kind that will be relatively valueless after graduation from university, as compared with the old S-papers which began more lateral-thinking oriented.

However, after 20 years of an education career, I've come to realise that anything can be corrupted by the 10-year series attitude. The best option would seem to be a system that changed the material and type of questions around every three years or so, while retaining the same scoring system. Would be fun. :)

=====

Just a note: the original press release is here. H3 = depth but not breadth.

autolycus
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sall » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:16 am

kiasu_mum75 wrote:not really same standard lah...tougher i feel... i did S paper during my younger days... S paper physics and maths... both distinction... but i find it tougher now leh..maybe cos i've aged HAHA...yup only the top % can take H3... why? ur child taking? :)

My child just finished PSLE, Sec 1 next yr. I think I'm getting too anxious about everything. :oops:

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasu_mum75 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:27 pm

hehe....then don' t worry lah.. by the time ur child goes to JC, i think no more H3 programme... most probably become H10 or H11 already. :)

kiasu_mum75
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sall » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:34 am

:faint:

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby micko07 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:09 pm

autolycus wrote:The H3 papers are not like the old S-papers. Rather, they are more like 'enrichment modules' proposed and designed by local universities so that they don't have to teach the stuff to JC students. Or at least, that was my impression after examining the H3 materials.

I think they require too much fact-retention and too little thinking. The skills imparted are the kind that will be relatively valueless after graduation from university, as compared with the old S-papers which began more lateral-thinking oriented.

I have 0 experience with S papers, but I found my H3 module really difficult. (SMU Game Theory) The examinations tested application rather than hard-core fact memorizing. It was one of those papers that you cannot swallow your textbook and expect to pass. No way could that happen.

That said, it was very fun to know about stuff like brinkmanship (happening now on the Korea Peninsula!!) and that game theory is actually used in deciding movie release dates. :D

In SMU, H3 students were in their own classes but for NUS H3s, I think they took lectures and tutorials alongside undergraduates (ie they were full-fledged university modules). I don't know about NTU. There are also in-house MOE UCLES H3s and research paper H3s too.

To answer the OP's question: Solely for scholarship purposes (notably A*Star) and to max out your AUs (for US application purposes). Some schools in the UK also require H3s for admission (I only know of Maths @ Durham and (possibly) Cambridge). If you get admitted to the University where you took your H3 module, you also get exempted (assuming you pass).

Off-topic: I think the emphasis on memorizing and not thinking is endemic in the Singapore education system, from Primary school all the way to University. Explains why we Singaporeans are generally good at following instructions, but bad at innovating. Most people simply don't think or question enough. To give MOE credit, they are trying to change it though. Its success remains to be seen.

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support