Secondary School Textbooks

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: Secondary School Textbooks

Postby Zann » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:06 am

insider wrote:Both my kids told me that don’t need to buy for them most of the sec school textbooks (except Chinese and literature) as their teachers (different schools) seldom refer to the books as teachers give stack and stack of notes. True enough that whenever I clear those books at every year end for recycling, many if not most of them are brand new (so heart pain to discard those like new history, maths, science, etc textbooks). Wonder whether other parents share similar experience and if yes, why is MOE wasting our money??? (sec textbooks are not cheap and I hate to harm the environment unnecessarily.)

Which type of school do your children go to? IP, govt, International ? I hear a lot that IP programme don't use text book that much, but not sure of the others.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby alwaysLovely » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:15 pm

It very much depend on teachers.
Some teachers use their own notes as teaching materials.
Textbooks serve more as reference books nowadays.
Some of my students didn't buy the textbook as they have been using notes previously.

alwaysLovely
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby schellen » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:49 pm

It's not just the textbooks that get abandoned; the workbooks or activity books (as they like to call them nowadays), are even less used. This is not totally the teachers' fault cos sometimes the exercises and activities inside are really not do-able. For example, requiring students to go around the school to check weather conditions or visit some place in Singapore and then go back to class to do report on it. These are very time-consuming and may not actually contribute much to the understanding of the concept being taught. Therefore, teachers just skip those and supplement with their own worksheets.
Sometimes, the exercises in these books are rather different from what the students will eventually see in O or N levels. So teachers know that and improvise with their own worksheets.
Or maybe the activity books are too simple so teachers giver harder questions.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Secondary School Textbooks

Postby 91536489 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:25 am

its true. but some basic books are important. i think certain textbooks like science are impt though there are notes, some teachers' notes are just not reliable.

KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support