French

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

French

Postby spring5 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi

Does any of your kids take French as a 3rd language?
Pls share how you help your child learn the language.
My girl went for her 1st lesson and saw stars.
The textbook and CD does not do a English-French translation.
How to learn a 3rd lang like this? :(

Any mother who has any supplementary aid in this subject, pls let me know if you are giving away/selling.

strawberry8_8@hotmail.com

thanks for sharing.

spring5
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:55 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby daisyt » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi spring5, my girl also attended French, at Ghim Moe language center. From what I see, she took 2 ages of notes on full scape paper. Formal, informal use. French words and the equivalent in English.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2430
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby pink clouds » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:11 pm

Hi I'm a Sec 1 girl taking french this year. Basically I think learning French is okay, it's just that you have to put your heart into it, and it can be quite time consuming. What I do is to listen attentively in class ( even if I'm sleepy ), and copy down everything the teacher says. I don't know whether it helps you, but I find that it's a great help to me. Also, it's better if you sit with a good friend as it'll help to boost your energy. I look forward to break time and going home time very much so what I do is listen attentively while counting down every 5 minutes to break or going home time. I mean, this might help as you are looking forward to the lesson to be over. And this helps me quite a bit as I tend to lose my concentration in the afternoon. So anyway, this is how I study French. Hope it works out for you, but it would be best if each person is comfortable with their own way of studying.

pink clouds
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:00 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby micko07 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:13 pm

Bonjour!
Ehh I took French for 1 term in Sec 1 then I quit T.T (regret quitting now oh well)
Yes I did feel very very sleepy in the afternoon so as far as possible try to stay awake and pay attention. Learning a new language isn't easy and verbs + gender (I still don't know why the eraser is a female -.-) + grammar + vocab can easily equate to a hell lot of confusion. Always ask if you're not sure of anything (I remember going Non Oui! ie not yes! in Sec 1 ahaha). Normally there are notes online, so do your homework, read and revise regularly. I memorized until I wanted to cry lol. And do take French seriously; it will be counted into your marks. Manage your time wisely.
Buy Collins French-English English-French dictionary. It'll stay with you all the way up to JC 2 if you continue taking French as an A level subject (yes it's THAT necessary)
Haha have fun; it's a really beautiful language!
Off topic: Heyo pink_cloud! You're in NYGH right? (I'm a graduand from class of 2008 haha). How's NY life? Did you enjoy LifeSkills Camp? :D

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:46 pm
Total Likes: 6


Postby daisyt » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:37 am

micko07 wrote:Bonjour!
And do take French seriously; it will be counted into your marks.


Hi miko07, this is the killing part. My girl is so worried if she does not do well, it would pull down her GPA.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2430
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54 am
Total Likes: 0



Postby mathsparks » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:21 am

Revitalised this thread for parents interested to know more about French.

Hi daisyt, pinkclouds, spring5,

can share with us yrs/yr kid's progress in French? Any idea drop out rate? Merci beaucoup!
I didn't know that 3rd lang also considered in GPA score. :shock:

hmmm...looking at the no. of posts, I doubt pinkclouds, spring5 still logs in. So maybe daisyt can comment? Or any other parents/students?

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2825
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:27 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby sesame246 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:05 am

pink clouds wrote:Hi I'm a Sec 1 girl taking french this year. Basically I think learning French is okay, it's just that you have to put your heart into it, and it can be quite time consuming. What I do is to listen attentively in class ( even if I'm sleepy ), and copy down everything the teacher says. I don't know whether it helps you, but I find that it's a great help to me. Also, it's better if you sit with a good friend as it'll help to boost your energy. I look forward to break time and going home time very much so what I do is listen attentively while counting down every 5 minutes to break or going home time. I mean, this might help as you are looking forward to the lesson to be over. And this helps me quite a bit as I tend to lose my concentration in the afternoon. So anyway, this is how I study French. Hope it works out for you, but it would be best if each person is comfortable with their own way of studying.

Hi pink clouds, what is the schedule like - how many lessons per week, wkday or wkends, the duration, the ease of travelling to MOELC etc. ? My girl is applying for NYGH

sesame246
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:51 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby mathsparks » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:36 am

hey sesame246, i doubt pinkclouds still log on. Our best bet is from current parents/students. Hope they come forth. Anyway, I've submitted son's app for French.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2825
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:27 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby sesame246 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:38 pm

mathsparks wrote:hey sesame246, i doubt pinkclouds still log on. Our best bet is from current parents/students. Hope they come forth. Anyway, I've submitted son's app for French.


hi mathsparks,

Oops! I didnt realise the post was Nov 2008, not 2009... Thanks for the note. :D

Can you share why you or your son has decided on French? I am clueless now, didn't even realise there is this option until I tried to submit online yesterday. Due date is so near and I am trying to gather as much information as possible.

Tks!

sesame246
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:51 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby mathsparks » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:49 pm

sesame246 wrote:Can you share why you or your son has decided on French? I am clueless now, didn't even realise there is this option until I tried to submit online yesterday. Due date is so near and I am trying to gather as much information as possible.

Tks!

Yes, you need to choose wisely since you can't put a second choice from the same category.

My son didnt want anything to do with chinese chars, so Jap is out while French uses Eng alphabet and it would seem much easier.

Here're my other reasons for choosing French. http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 1668#81668

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2825
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:27 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support