Can kids (teens) really multi-task?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Can kids (teens) really multi-task?

Postby heutistmeintag » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:19 am

I get very upset whenever my children study with the TV on, talk on the phone, surfing the Internet etc. I came from the old school where the only allowable distraction is listening to music while doing homework.

My friends told me I am outdated on teens' capabilities nowadays. Based on their experiences with their children, teens can mulit-task very well while completing their homework or revision. So am I being paranoid or what?

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pinky » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:44 pm

Sorry but I do not agree with this 'multi-task' reasoning. I consider it as a distraction and I strongly believe there is a time to study and a time to
relax.

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:40 pm

hmmm I have yet met anyone who can really multitask. Those who can do it during TV says they were actually studying during commercial or less interesting part of the show.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby schellen » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:42 pm

I agree with mincy and pinky. Even when people eat and read or eat and watch TV at the same time, there will be times when we get distracted by the book/show and forget to chew (or worse, forget about the spoon hovering in the air). :roll:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:45 pm

Haha, so are we all "outdated" parents ? :shock: Personally I also don't agree with multi-tasking. I believe in "Finish one thing, and then proceed to the other".

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sashimi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:31 am

*I* maintain the opinion that "multi-tasking" is the world's MOST OVER-RATED "virtue".

It should be banned in kids, adults and especially in the office! :x :P :x

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:43 pm

schellen wrote:... forget to chew (or worse, forget about the spoon hovering in the air). :roll:

Kekekke... perfect example of why all those new media claims about the ability of gen-Z kids to multi-task is all hogwash.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:45 pm

sashimi wrote:*I* maintain the opinion that "multi-tasking" is the world's MOST OVER-RATED "virtue".

Sashimi... I guess you must be the boss of the office :lol: Don't ban my stock market surfing... pleeazzz!

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby sashimi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:14 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
sashimi wrote:*I* maintain the opinion that "multi-tasking" is the world's MOST OVER-RATED "virtue".

Sashimi... I guess you must be the boss of the office :lol: Don't ban my stock market surfing... pleeazzz!

Not at all! In fact, it's because of the way bosses never bother to reply emails, never read the reports, then email us to ask for the report we sent 2 weeks ago... that convinced me multi-tasking only serves to divide your mind into more parts than it can handle....

stock marketing surfing is not multi-tasking lah... that one is your personal life. :)

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Observer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:21 pm

The only multi tasking my son is allowed to do is hearing music in MP3 player while eating. :lol:

For me and wife, happy that he finish food without complaining (he's a damn fuzzy eater).

Watching TV and reading his school books - NO
Watching TV and reading his story books - Yes

So, we can allow the so-called multitasking in some area which doesn't affect them academically or physically.

:D

Observer
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support