Sec 1-important topics

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Sec 1-important topics

Postby pinky » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:09 am

Attended a talk at my son's sec school recently and the HOD told us
to discuss topics such as ageing population, global warming, pollution,
terrorism etc with our kids as they are required in a variety of subjects.
Relying on textbook is clearly not sufficient.
Gosh, these are like GP topics during my JC days. How well can a 13 yr
old relate to these topics ? My goodness :?

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Sec 1-important topics

Postby ApronMama » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:24 am

pinky wrote:Attended a talk at my son's sec school recently and the HOD told us
to discuss topics such as ageing population, global warming, pollution,
terrorism etc with our kids as they are required in a variety of subjects.
Relying on textbook is clearly not sufficient.
Gosh, these are like GP topics during my JC days. How well can a 13 yr
old relate to these topics ? My goodness :?

Hi Pinky, which school is your son in? perhaps not at all school.

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schellen » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:07 pm

I think this applies to all schools cos ageing population, global warming and pollution are covered in lower sec geography (all) and science (last 2). Then when he goes to upper sec, he will have to take compulsory subject called Combined Humanities which is made up of 2 subjects actually. 1 subject, Social Studies (SS) no choice. The other one can choose from Geography, History or Literature.

And confirmed terrorism will be covered in SS. If you prepare your child from Sec 1, he will pick up this new subject faster than his peers when he gets to Sec 3. Yes, they are difficult concepts to understand but the key is to start small and simple, and relate it to his daily life so that it is easier to digest (and hopefully, more interesting). Since you start from Sec 1, you can go slower than if you start from Sec 3 and have limited time before the first test comes.

If you have no idea what level of understanding is required for sec 1, browse his geography and science textbooks for ideas and guidelines.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi pinky, I look at my 13yo girls's syllabus and topics and I feel they are definately more difficult than our times and more general. General knowledge is very important nowadays. Reply on text book is definately not enough. But kids nowadays are very fortunate because information can come from all kinds of sources to make their learning easier, eg. NatGeo channels, Discovery channels, history channels, plays and drama ...

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:00 pm

daisyt wrote:Hi pinky, I look at my 13yo girls's syllabus and topics and I feel they are definately more difficult than our times and more general. General knowledge is very important nowadays. Reply on text book is definately not enough. But kids nowadays are very fortunate because information can come from all kinds of sources to make their learning easier, eg. NatGeo channels, Discovery channels, history channels, plays and drama ...

I agree that simply by memorising and regurgitating answers from textbook is no longer viable. daisyt is right about information being easier to obtain now so the key is to learn to sift out what is not needed and to keep only what is needed or else students will suffer from information overload. Parents can help guide them to do this but eventually the students must be able to do this themselves.

Remember that if students have access to such info, teachers will too. And starting from Sec 1 History, students will encounter source-based questions. These are basically information taken from outside the textbooks, e.g., news articles, journals, non-fiction books, even graphs and cartoons/comics, and questions are set based on them. When your child reaches Sec 3, SS (and History and Geography) will use a lot of these questions.

Teachers will teach the relevant skills starting from Sec 1 but ultimately, students must get the hang of it and be able to do such questions on their own. Since the sources can change and come from such a wide base, there is no way to memorise the questions. The only way is to practise with wide variety of sources for different concepts (e.g., terrorism, ageing population, etc.).

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mamii » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:24 am

Hi Schellen, could you shed some light on the subject SS ? what does it cover ? Is it like a mini GP ? I heard from my friend that this subject is a killer and students usually do not do well for it. My niece is in Sec 3 and she failed SS (with Geog), I have not had a chance to look at her papers so I am not sure how to help her out yet. TIA

mamii
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support