Stay in Secondary School or go for IP?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Stay in Secondary School or go for IP?

Postby Wanna232 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:03 pm

Dear KiasuParents users,
Would you go for IP or just stay in Secondary school? What are the benefits of going for IP?

Wanna232
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby rubydoll » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:33 am

yah this is the million dollar question for me and my husband now..
I have posted mails abt this but none replied.
i too was confused.......as if for O level we have time to prepare .
but if for IP no time......only , one and half year...and also donot know how to prepare!!!!!!!!!
even though i was told it comes from sec 1 and 2.
But when i met my sons tution teacher she says it will have higher order questions from sec 3 and 4 also ...as for maths.
The second thing i need to inform my ds abt it ......as now only he started loving his sec school..........then again a change in 2 yr........oh my god
I hate this new system....!!!!!!!!!!
I am also thinking as a mother both ways ....why donot my son have a 4 yr period in a secondary school and build a good character...
As i was told from my seniors that ......kids develope character in sec schools. and acquire academic from pre u
pls i request some parents to guide us
it will be more useful

rubydoll
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby INNOVATE » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:24 am

If you examine it carefully, it really is not a difficult question to answer. Its just like poly vs jc for those who qualify for the latter.

Summary:

Consistency and wants to study in a top school-IP

Last minute mugger- O-level

Undecided btw jc or get a scholarship to study in poly- 0-level.
Anw, o-level result constitutes 20% of uni score, so a good set of 0-level results plus a gpa of 3.6 should do the job.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby rubydoll » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Thank you for your explanation.Is it O level score is also seen during university selection.

rubydoll
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby INNOVATE » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:19 pm

rubydoll wrote:Thank you for your explanation.Is it O level score is also seen during university selection.

University entrance is primarily based on points system from results achieved in A-level, IB, NUS High diploma or Poly diploma. 0-level result is never considered for all except poly grads.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phankao » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:14 am

INNOVATE wrote:
rubydoll wrote:Thank you for your explanation.Is it O level score is also seen during university selection.

University entrance is primarily based on points system from results achieved in A-level, IB, NUS High diploma or Poly diploma. 0-level result is never considered for all except poly grads.

How are points alloated for A-levels? I don't remember any points attached to our grades last time - erm, i took A-levels in 1985 and entered NUS following yr.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rubydoll » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:50 am

kids who joined Victoria IP or Temasek IP pls share how you feel in IP now...
can you cope with this new programme?
or in any time had a thought i should have taken O level.
thank you

rubydoll
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby INNOVATE » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:00 pm

phankao

Applicants using a-level as an uni entrance qualification are evaluated base on 3H2 + 1H1 + PW + GP.

Summary of university rank points:

H2 - A-20, B-17.5, C- 15, D-12.5, E- 10.

H1 - A-10, B- 8.75, C-7.5, D- 6.25, E-5

Maximum points= 20+20+20+10+10+10=90

For the most prestigious courses, namely, law and medicine applicants are expected to score 87.5 and above with at least a B for gp plus good cca/cip hours. They are also expected to perform well at the interview.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby YLH88 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:07 pm

rubydoll wrote:kids who joined Victoria IP or Temasek IP pls share how you feel in IP now...
can you cope with this new programme?
or in any time had a thought i should have taken O level.
thank you

Would like to check only Victoria JC and Temasek JC accept students for IP route in Sec 3 ? the other IP schools don't accept ?

YLH88
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:08 pm

YLH88 wrote:Would like to check only Victoria JC and Temasek JC accept students for IP route in Sec 3 ? the other IP schools don't accept ?

Yes, VJC and TJC are the only two JCs that accept IP students at Sec 3 for their 4-year IP programme. Other IP schools don't. NJC used to do that, but not anymore since they became a full IP school with the batch of Year 1s in 2009.

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support