How to improve comprehension?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

How to improve comprehension?

Postby prettycoolmom » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:44 pm

Hi, i noticed that my daughter has difficulties in terms of comprehension.
Is there any exercise? Or advise how can i help her improve?

She's good in maths & science but weak in languages.
Appreciate if you give me some advise

prettycoolmom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby twilight » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:44 pm

Oh I need help on this too. I honestly have no idea. Even though my teacher kept giving out worksheets for us to practice last year, my comprehension score maintained quite consistent of 16/25 throughout the entire year, plus minus 1 or 2 marks sometimes.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby meinteel » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:45 pm

There are many reasons why one don't do well in comprehension. You need to identify the reason behind it first.

1. Do you understand the passages?
2. Are you answering the question?

Understanding the passage is very important. All questions must be answered in context of the passage. Otherwise, it will be considered wrong. Additional points will be deducted for language errors.

Always read the question and then read the passage before attempting each question. Lets say you wish to attempt question one. After reading the question, spot for key words. Locate these key words within the passage (usually in 2-3 lines of the same paragraph).

Answer the question IN YOUR OWN WORDS. Take note of your grammar and how the words have been used in the context of the passage.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ascklee » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:48 pm

One thing you have to do is to understand where you are losing marks. Are you losing marks in grammar? Are you losing marks in spelling? Are you losing marks in punctuation? Are you losing marks because you did not understand the passage, and therefore answered the comprehension questions wrongly.

Once you understand where you are losing marks, then you can work on that specific area.

Sincerely,
CKLee
Download free materials for additional mathematics from http://xxxx

ascklee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Dr.Daniel » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:56 pm

If she is good in science, but weak in language, have her read her science textbook. Too often I see classes where only bullet format notes are used. Reading a science textbook and really understanding thorougly what is written will go a very long way toward advancing her reading comprehension in general.

Dr.Daniel
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: How to improve comprehension?

Postby Leanne » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Try to understand the passage, look out for clue in the compre passage, and answer to what the question wants.

prettycoolmom wrote:Hi, i noticed that my daughter has difficulties in terms of comprehension.
Is there any exercise? Or advise how can i help her improve?

She's good in maths & science but weak in languages.
Appreciate if you give me some advise

Leanne
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby JonC » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:28 pm

What about my suggestion here?

JonC
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby prettycoolmom » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:19 pm

Thank u all! I appreciate all your suggestions... I will let her try your techniques

prettycoolmom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby laissezfaire » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:10 pm

prettycoolmom wrote:Thank u all! I appreciate all your suggestions... I will let her try your techniques

Prettycoolmom,

you need to see what types of questions your child is getting wrong.

Comprehensions are divided into several types of questions: literal, inference, definition, explanation of figures of speech etc etc...there is a specific skillset involved in each, and most teachers have no bloody clue how to go about improving because they don't know the work themselves. Their solution is to give more practice whole papers and correct them without giving proper help in targetted question types.

Figure out what type of questions your daughter is getting wrong first....generic advice will NOT help.

laissezfaire
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby matrix0405 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:34 am

Agree with laissef, during practice session, after answering each question, ask yr child to write down/identify the type of skills (infer, vocab etc) that that question requires. Soon u will understand how teacher set the questions; why this question is asked; the teacher will test all yr skills (eg, u won't find 5 inference Q for the same paper).

matrix0405
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support