How to balance CCA with academic

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

How to balance CCA with academic

Postby rubydoll » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:21 am

I really wonder how kids cope up with both this hectic CCA and studies!!!!!!!
My son in sports cca - 3 days per week returns home drained!!!!!!
Only got time to finish school works. No time for TV , STORY BOOKS, PARTY, not even got time to complete tution home work.
Pls share with me how kids are coping this secondary school life.
I read abt GINGSING to relieve fatigue but it also got lot of side effects.
How can i help him?Pls help

rubydoll
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby OngMum » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:34 pm

Hello rubydoll,

That’s also my question that has been popping up all the time in my head lately. My child is in sports CCA too and her training is twice per week from 3pm to 6pm. When she participated in school competition in January, her training was pretty intensive. Could you imagine she just entered Sec 1 this year? I am kind of worried but being worried will not able to address my concern as I know. I just monitor her as close as possible and do what I can to lessen her “burdens”.

Same like you, I hope to hear from parents or kids on ways/tips to cope life in Secondary school especially with intensive sports training. Thank you.

Cheers!

OngMum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: How to balance CCA with academic

Postby teh_oh » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:59 pm

rubydoll wrote:I really wonder how kids cope up with both this hectic CCA and studies!!!!!!!
My son in sports cca - 3 days per week returns home drained!!!!!!
Only got time to finish school works. No time for TV , STORY BOOKS, PARTY, not even got time to complete tution home work.
Pls share with me how kids are coping this secondary school life.
I read abt GINGSING to relieve fatigue but it also got lot of side effects.
How can i help him?Pls help

Hi,
can you share about the side effects of Ginseng?
Thanks. Because I am giving my primary schooler ginseng drink on a regular basis and this is the first time I heard about side effects.

teh_oh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby rubydoll » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:43 pm

Ginseng should not be given to children. In addition, pregnant or lactating women should not use ginseng, as it may lower estrogen production

Read more: Ginseng - dose, children, effects, adults, drug, people, used, medication, women, Definition, Purpose, Description, Recommended dosages, Precautions, Side effects, Interactions http://www.minddisorders.com/Flu-Inv/Gi ... z1EaZGWlh0

Hi I checked from internet only. you may also go google type ginseng side effects , you will get a lot of info.

rubydoll
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby rubydoll » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:49 pm

Hi Ongmum
yes , my son also just entered sec 1 this year. With sports cca 3days/ week and one hour travel makes him faigue .
Any one with older kids with same problem pls help.

rubydoll
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby teh_oh » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:05 am

rubydoll wrote:Ginseng should not be given to children. In addition, pregnant or lactating women should not use ginseng, as it may lower estrogen production

Read more: Ginseng - dose, children, effects, adults, drug, people, used, medication, women, Definition, Purpose, Description, Recommended dosages, Precautions, Side effects, Interactions http://www.minddisorders.com/Flu-Inv/Gi ... z1EaZGWlh0

Hi I checked from internet only. you may also go google type ginseng side effects , you will get a lot of info.

Hi,
Thanks for sharing. My mother-in-law gave me ginseng when I was pregnant and this is drank regularly (once every 3 weeks) in the household.
I should remind my husband to cut down on drinking ginseng too regularly too.

teh_oh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sall » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:08 pm

My dd enjoys her sport CCA a lot. So to me, it is a form of relaxation for her, good way to de-stress and forget abt sch work during cca training. So when she gets home at 7.30pm on cca days, there is no need to watch tv, or relax further. Just shower, take dinner, do homework , sleep. :D

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinky » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:29 pm

sall wrote:My dd enjoys her sport CCA a lot. So to me, it is a form of relaxation for her, good way to de-stress and forget abt sch work during cca training. So when she gets home at 7.30pm on cca days, there is no need to watch tv, or relax further. Just shower, take dinner, do homework , sleep. :D

I agree. My son is in the school band and they have practices 3 times a wk but he enjoys it very much. I guess kids dun find it a chore if they truly enjoy the learning process, makes friends and better still, promoted base on their skills and capabilities. That sense of achievement is a catalyst for them to work even harder. Of course he complains of tiredness and tons of homework to complete but to support him, I stay up late with him as he does his homework, make his favourite drink and snack so he won't feel so lonely.

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sall » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:36 pm

Yes Pinky, this is what I do too. Keep her company while she does her work, and tutor her if she needs help. :celebrate:

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chengg » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:02 pm

My son chose a CCA that is very demanding on his time, he is in a uniform group. But because he really enjoys it, to him the time spent there is worth it. I have to teach him how to manage his time and how to be more efficient. I think it can be done but the child must be willing to stretch and work faster and spend less time on tv etc.

Chengg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support