ANY TIPS TO TRANSFERTO ANOTHER SEC SCHL*SOS*

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

ANY TIPS TO TRANSFERTO ANOTHER SEC SCHL*SOS*

Postby PSLE2010 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:12 am

Hi, my gal's psle scored tail end of Express result. Of course, she is being posted to a least competent school. I understand that all secondary schools are teaching on the same plateform, hwr, the schl is not competent in terms of teaching materials, quality & teacher. The Chinese teacher has been away regularly on some events:( Anyway, I am very concerned. I am a working single mum that outsourced to tutors:) Now, my life is supervising her to study everynight. Besides this, I have to search materials to help her studying. Fortunately, she knows she needs to work hard. I know its our responsibility to help our children but school plays a very important part. My plan is to boost her academic performance so as to get into another school during year end. I had called a few sec schools to check about the process. Of course, it all depends on availability and entrance test. Could you share with me the interview format & test contents? Any tips would help! Very worried mum :cry: :?: :?: :?:

PSLE2010
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: ANY TIPS TO TRANSFERTO ANOTHER SEC SCHL*SOS*

Postby bigfoot » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:42 pm

PSLE2010 wrote:Hi, my gal's psle scored tail end of Express result. Of course, she is being posted to a least competent school. I understand that all secondary schools are teaching on the same plateform, hwr, the schl is not competent in terms of teaching materials, quality & teacher. The Chinese teacher has been away regularly on some events:( Anyway, I am very concerned. I am a working single mum that outsourced to tutors:) Now, my life is supervising her to study everynight. Besides this, I have to search materials to help her studying. Fortunately, she knows she needs to work hard. I know its our responsibility to help our children but school plays a very important part. My plan is to boost her academic performance so as to get into another school during year end. I had called a few sec schools to check about the process. Of course, it all depends on availability and entrance test. Could you share with me the interview format & test contents? Any tips would help! Very worried mum :cry: :?: :?: :?:

It varies from school to school actually. Depend on which school are u looking for. For those better school, they usually will have many students applying to enter. So they will be entrance test. The usual subjects being tested are English, Maths and Science. You may want to get your daughter to work hard as well. If she can do well in her current school (with good attendance and record), then her chances will be higher.

Another thing u may want to take note. Check with the school the topics which will be tested before the entrance test. This is because different school will teach different topics (especially Science and Maths) at Sec 1. They may not necessary follow the textbook topics. Best is to find out first and then find a tutor to help your daughter in those topics which are not covered in her current school.

bigfoot
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:55 pm

it also very much depends on where you stay and which schools you are targeting
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby PSLE2010 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:17 am

Great! I didn't know I can check the exam topics.
I live at North but I have lubong so transport isn't an issue. I am looking at Xin Ming, Anderson, St Nic, Angelican (affi to St Andrew), TKGS...etc. Any suggestions? TQ!TQ!

PSLE2010
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mummyjoyce » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:14 am

PSLE2010 wrote:Great! I didn't know I can check the exam topics.
I live at North but I have lubong so transport isn't an issue. I am looking at Xin Ming, Anderson, St Nic, Angelican (affi to St Andrew), TKGS...etc. Any suggestions? TQ!TQ!

Hihihi; what transport lubong you have ?? I am looking high and low for transport from Pasir Panjang Rd to Cresent every morning. can you help me?
:pray:

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby koguma » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:01 am

Just my thought.

You mentioned that your gal's psle is at the scored tail end of Express result, but the schools you are targeting are good schools with very high COP and some at in the East!

I am wondering whether you will be stressing your gal? Although you have lubong with transport, you should not forget that sec school students always need to stay back in school till late evening.

Imagine your gal waking up early in the morning, spend almost whole day in school, reach home about 7pm, bath and dinner and by the time she can starts doing her homework, it will be almost 9pm-10pm.

Is it really worth it ?

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby PSLE2010 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:20 am

koguma, Yes, you have the point. I have this in my mind. That's why I have told her to aim at top3 in the class. She is already in the best class.
I will monitor her progress. Meanwhile, I am making plans to research the level of schools based on her mid-year actual performance. If she isn't performing well, then there is pointless to transfer.

PSLE2010
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby PSLE2010 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:24 am

mummyjoyce, my job requires me to s/by 24/7, so I have a regular taxi especially in early mornings like 430am. The taxi driver is like our uncle already.

PSLE2010
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby bigfoot » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:31 am

As mentioned by others, these are good schools. Call them directly to find out how they consider the transfer cases. For example, which month are they conducting the entrance test, etc...

I believe there are many other good schools in the north. Actually all teachers are trained in NIE. Doesn't mean neighbourhood schools have lousy teachers. I'm a teacher myself. I usually find neighourhood school teachers more committed. A bad experience with one or two teachers in the school does not mean that all the teachers are like that. If your daughter is coping well in her current school, you may want to consider letting her continue. A change in environment may not necessary be better. In fact, I think it is easier for motivated ordinary student to excel in a neighourhood school where they will get more attention from her teachers.

bigfoot
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby PSLE2010 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:36 am

Big foot, You are right! I find the neighborhood teachers are very dedicated. My concerns are the peers' influence - they already started dating. They would go shopping, movie after school. Of course, I gal said 'thx! no thx!'. In return, they commented my gal's life is boring and pittiful. How would you feel if you were me?

PSLE2010
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support