Strange/funny school rules

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Strange/funny school rules

Postby pinky » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:28 am

Any strange/funny school rules to share?
My son's school require all boys to wear white undies only bec their uniform are all white and if their undies are dark-coloured, they look
unsightly. :lol:

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:51 am

I don't know if this is considered strange cos to me and my friends when we were still students, we found it very harsh.

I came from a sec sch that started as a chinese girls sch. When I joined the sch, my sec 5 seniors were all girls and chinese educated. Maybe that's why the sch had such strict rules concerning our hair. Do see the list below.

1. Fringe must not touch eyebrows.
2. All must keep short hair except special cases. Special cases are girls in sch's dance groups and religious reasons (must have parent's letter).
3. How short? Hair behind must not touch collar. (Really!)
4. If hair is kept long, must plait into 2 pigtails. No single braid or ponytails allowed.
5. After dance performance is over, hair must be cut short. Hair can only be grown long enough for performance again after that. (This is ridiculous. No logic)
6. No perms allowed. (Friends who have naturally curly hair always kena booked by prefects and teachers.)

No. 4 is so embarrassing. One of my friends said that she kept getting teased due to the 2 pigtails, especially by boys. In the end, she tied it up in a single ponytail to school, enter by the back gate, sprint to the nearest toilet, and then tie her hair up into the required 2 pigtails.

I don't dance so I looked terribly geeky in sec sch. I think they only relaxed No. 3 when I was in Sec 3 but only that we could have hair that wasn't long enough to require a ponytail. As for No. 1, we used a lot of hairbands.

I'm just glad my DD's pri sch doesn't have anything as ridiculous as this.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinky » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:35 pm

During my JC days, we were not allowed to visit a nearby shopping
centre. Anyone caught would be considered as breaking the school rule.
The principal and VP did pop in at the shopping centre before to 'catch'
those who dared to disobey. I could not remember what the punishment
was though.

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:22 pm

Ah, speaking of JC days: our seniors requested the girls to stay behind after first day orientation talk in hall. (I think it was a short break time so only the boys got the break. :P ) Then, our female seniors said that it's best we don't sit/stand/walk in close contact with any boys. Preferably should also not share drinks with boys, even with straws. Why? Because they said that since it's a mission school, the teachers are "a bit" conservative. :roll:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:29 pm

wah schellen

my sec school also got the short hair rule (our uniform don hve collar but I think it is 3xm below the ear or something like that ) but they don't even make exception for dancers. :P

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby schellen » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:52 pm

Very bad, right, mincy? Might as well just give us a bowl and a pair of scissors. With that kind of haircut, we'll all look like (red) army members. :roll:

I remembered something else. We weren't even allowed to wear talisman/hu sheng fu around our necks. I secretly wore mine on a long chain so as to keep it hidden.

One of my classmates had a really cute, bright orange Garfield watch but teacher said cannot wear cos design and colour not acceptable. :roll: I think they were also on the lookout for students with brightly-coloured spectacles frame. Their teaching and marking workload not enough is it? :P

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:36 pm

yah man. I remember our class counsellors used to take ruler to measure....hair, length of skirt below knee cap etc. Of course the skirt length thingie is not effective at all. After school the girls who want their skirt short will just roll up the skirt at the waist.
Last edited by mintcc on Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby schellen » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:44 pm

mincy wrote:yah man. I remember our class counsellors used to take ruler to measure....hair, length of skirt below knee cap etc. Of course the skirt length thingie is not effective at all. After school the girls who whant their skirt short wll just roll up the skirt at the waist.

The discipline committee in my sch used to lift up the part of our blouses covering the waistbands to check if we rolled up our skirts there!

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:08 pm

My pri school during my era didn't allow girls to keep their hair. No excuse even if you are in the dance group. All girls must have short hair. After leaving pri school, I have long hair for most of my life. Fortunately, they do away with this rule now.

I heard in Mee Toh primary, boys are only allowed to be botak previously. Not sure how true.

But the part on gg to shopping centre, we also had it when I was in sec school. It was a convent school.

Oh yes, we must always wear the pinafore and white shirt. No t-shirt allowed even if it's PE day. So we always have to change from shirt to t-shirt before and after PE in the class. Probably learn the best way to change fast and without revealing too much.....

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Strange/funny school rules

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:17 pm

We had the school pastor breathing earth, wind and fire one morning during assembly on how watching Jesus Christ Superstar (The Original one in the 70s, not the remakes lah) will condemn us to the depths of hell (other than the usual school penalties). I think the sermon was much more effective than the advertisements over radio and TV in making us go watch it. Anyway, it was funny because all the school band knew what to play during events was the Theme from Jesus Christ Superstar.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support