Importance of CCA

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Importance of CCA

Postby Mphisto » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi guys,
My son could not take it any much longer, he wish to opt out of the CCA and have no CCA. With that, I told him whether he had interest in other CCAs. He said he didn't like any.

So, we had a talk with the principal and apparently the principal said that CCA is important. Of course, he mentioned that the "2 Points" is very important, but i found out that, according to MOE, CCA points: "They are not taken into consideration in determining whether applicants are eligible for specific courses under the JAE."
Taken from : http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissi ... /#bonus-pt ( No. 8 )

So as stated above, is CCA Important for my son? There's no point if the bonus points can't help him get to his desired course. It would only help him to get into a particular school if his original points couldn't do so.

I am new here and to this whole education system. Experienced parents, please do guide me. It's sad to see my son to be in such a despair.

Thank you so much

Mphisto
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby twilight » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:35 pm

What JC does your son aspire to enter? Top tier? 2nd-tier? Others? Entry to top tier JCs are highly competitive. Having A1 in CCA will give you an edge. Also, if 2 students have the same net L1R5, they will look at how many bonus points you have. The student with 4 bonus points will get priority for entry to a particular JC.

So yes, it does not restrict your course restriction, but it will cause you to lose out in regards to entry to a JC. Personally, I would think entry to JC comes first rather than course selection.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Mphisto » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:48 pm

twilight wrote:What JC does your son aspire to enter? Top tier? 2nd-tier? Others? Entry to top tier JCs are highly competitive. Having A1 in CCA will give you an edge. Also, if 2 students have the same net L1R5, they will look at how many bonus points you have. The student with 4 bonus points will get priority for entry to a particular JC.

So yes, it does not restrict your course restriction, but it will cause you to lose out in regards to entry to a JC. Personally, I would think entry to JC comes first rather than course selection.

Hi, but don't the course selection matter more than then the entry to JC?
The course selection now will decide what job you would take in the future

Mphisto
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sall » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:14 pm

CCA is compulsory in sec schools. I haven't heard of a sec sch where CCA is not compulsory. Important thing is for students to have a positive attitude towards CCA. They can make a lot of friends , have activities that are different from class, learn some new things. With right attitude and proper time management, students can balance studies with cca.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby WeiHan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:28 pm

It is very hard for us to offer any opinion as we do not know the specifics.

However, I could not imagine how he can't choose any cca that he likes. The importance of cca is that it helps cultivates some passion outside the realm of "study" and this may have significant impact in the adult lives of the person. I mean hobbies are usually cultivated during teenage years and life is certaining more meaningful if one has more things in life that he/she enjoys doing.

WeiHan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sall » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Unfortunately, cca chose the students, not students choosing what they like. Students must adopt a positive attitude and they may get to like whatever cca they're in even if they didn't choose it.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:44 pm

sall wrote:...... Important thing is for students to have a positive attitude towards CCA. They can make a lot of friends , have activities that are different from class, learn some new things. With right attitude and proper time management, students can balance studies with cca.

agreed ! and CCA builds character and some of them instill discipline :celebrate:

tankee
Site Admin

Postby twilight » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:55 pm

Mphisto wrote:
twilight wrote:What JC does your son aspire to enter? Top tier? 2nd-tier? Others? Entry to top tier JCs are highly competitive. Having A1 in CCA will give you an edge. Also, if 2 students have the same net L1R5, they will look at how many bonus points you have. The student with 4 bonus points will get priority for entry to a particular JC.

Hi, but don't the course selection matter more than then the entry to JC?
The course selection now will decide what job you would take in the future

Different JCs offer different courses, electives, special programs etc. Some JCs may not have the combination your son wants to take. If the JC that he qualifies to does not offer the subject combination he wants, then he won't be able to do the course he wants. Therefore what I wanted to say was that you need to qualify into a JC first, before you can worry about subject combination.

Some of the club CCA are more slack with only once a week meeting and less commitment. So perhaps your son can look to join those kind of CCA so that at least he can get some points, if not a lot? Many schools provide opportunities where you can earn CCA points. However if you're not active in CCA, the points will be annulled and I think it is a waste.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ascklee » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:08 pm

Besides what has been written about the importance of CCA (being able to deduct two points, etc.), CCA is also important because it helps to build soft skills, e.g., leadership, initiative, teamwork, discipline, self-awareness, etc., etc., etc. Consider very carefully before dropping CCA!

Sincerely,
ascklee
Download free additional mathematics materials from http://xxxx

ascklee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support