Core Humanities: Litrature

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Core Humanities: Litrature

Postby DadOfGirl » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:32 pm

Can someone share experience of taking Litrature as one of the humanities subject at Sce3 subject combi exercise & O-level scores.

I guess question are

- Is it difficult to reach A1 at O-level
- How difficult it gets beyong Sec2? If you are good in English language, does it mean , you will not falter Litrature at sec3-4

- Is is safer to take Combined humanities SS+ Litrature? ( Can get A1)

Thank you for all answers

DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby meiah » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:54 pm

:D Only got 20 years ago experience to share!!

My ELang not bad so took ELit at Sec 3 and 4. Generally, it's not really how well you can use English but rather if you can answer what they are requesting. Sec 1 and 2 I usually got A1 type but in Sec 3, one test failed. Wrote alot but not what they wanted. After that, went up again. My friend is the A1 Lit type usually, but at O'levels got C6.

Generally, I think interest is important.

meiah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby DadOfGirl » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:49 am

meiah wrote::D Only got 20 years ago experience to share!!

My ELang not bad so took ELit at Sec 3 and 4. Generally, it's not really how well you can use English but rather if you can answer what they are requesting. Sec 1 and 2 I usually got A1 type but in Sec 3, one test failed. Wrote alot but not what they wanted. After that, went up again. My friend is the A1 Lit type usually, but at O'levels got C6.

Generally, I think interest is important.

Thank you for reply. Interest is important , but even with it , are there any pitfalls.

Thanks

DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Core Humanities: Litrature

Postby koguma » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:40 am

DadOfGirl wrote:Can someone share experience of taking Litrature as one of the humanities subject at Sce3 subject combi exercise & O-level scores.

I guess question are

- How difficult it gets beyong Sec2? If you are good in English language, does it mean , you will not falter Litrature at sec3-4

I don't think it is easier to get A1 for Combined humanities as compared to Pure humanities.

I have checked some schools O level results and noticed that students usually do well in Pure Humanities subject as compare to Combined humanities.

Example in 2009, St Nicholas passing for Pure Geog is 100% but combined Social Studies, Geography is only 98.3 .

Example in 2010, for Nan Hua High, the distinction rates for humanities are as follow: Combined Humanities (70.4%), Geography (78.6%), History (76.5%), and Literature in English (91.2%).

Perhaps you can check out other schools to see how the students fair for Pure and Combined humanitites.

I think the problem is due to the Social Studies subject which students did not do that well.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby DadOfGirl » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:04 am

koguma wrote:
DadOfGirl wrote:Can someone share experience of taking Litrature as one of the humanities subject at Sce3 subject combi exercise & O-level scores.

I guess question are

I don't think it is easier to get A1 for Combined humanities as compared to Pure humanities.

I have checked some schools O level results and noticed that students usually do well in Pure Humanities subject as compare to Combined humanities.

Example in 2009, St Nicholas passing for Pure Geog is 100% but combined Social Studies, Geography is only 98.3 .

Example in 2010, for Nan Hua High, the distinction rates for humanities are as follow: Combined Humanities (70.4%), Geography (78.6%), History (76.5%), and Literature in English (91.2%).

Perhaps you can check out other schools to see how the students fair for Pure and Combined humanitites.

I think the problem is due to the Social Studies subject which students did not do that well.

Thank you for reply. Based on data you provided , it is betterto take Geo & history as pure humanities.

Is it true for Litrature?

How much is SS is bundled into combined humanites is it 50 - 50 %?

Since SS is mandatory subject , if you opt for core humanities , you have to take addtional subject (SS +Hist or SS+Geo) which is trying to avoid!

DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby koguma » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:20 pm

DadOfGirl wrote:Thank you for reply. Based on data you provided , it is betterto take Geo & history as pure humanities.

Since SS is mandatory subject , if you opt for core humanities , you have to take addtional subject (SS +Hist or SS+Geo) which is trying to avoid!

Combined humanities is of 50 - 50 % weightage. If you take combined humanities (Eg. SS+Lit), it will be 50% for SS and 50% for Lit. This means that if you do well in Lit but not SS, your overall grade will be affected.

Combined humanities is a compulsory subject in Sec school. Hence you cannot do Pure humanities without a combined humanities.

As of which Pure humanities to choose, I think it really depends on which subject your child like. I don't think there is a "easy subject" among the three Pure humanities.

For my niece, since she likes Lit, I asked her to do Pure Lit and SS+ Hist (she has to take this subject as the school only offers this combination for Pure Lit students). For her CA1, she score A1 for Lit but didn't do so well for SS+Hist.

Side track, I noticed that most schools offered triple sciences but only a combined humanities. This is risky as you need to use one humanities subject to compute L1R5 to a JC. So if you score A1 for all subjects but a C6 for combined humanities, you still need to use the C6 score.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby DadOfGirl » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:33 pm

koguma wrote:
DadOfGirl wrote:Thank you for reply. Based on data you provided , it is betterto take Geo & history as pure humanities.

Combined humanities is of 50 - 50 % weightage. If you take combined humanities (Eg. SS+Lit), it will be 50% for SS and 50% for Lit. This means that if you do well in Lit but not SS, your overall grade will be affected.

Combined humanities is a compulsory subject in Sec school. Hence you cannot do Pure humanities without a combined humanities.

As of which Pure humanities to choose, I think it really depends on which subject your child like. I don't think there is a "easy subject" among the three Pure humanities.

For my niece, since she likes Lit, I asked her to do Pure Lit and SS+ Hist (she has to take this subject as the school only offers this combination for Pure Lit students). For her CA1, she score A1 for Lit but didn't do so well for SS+Hist.

Side track, I noticed that most schools offered triple sciences but only a combined humanities. This is risky as you need to use one humanities subject to compute L1R5 to a JC. So if you score A1 for all subjects but a C6 for combined humanities, you still need to use the C6 score.

Thank you again. My DD also like litrature , hence pondering whether to take SS+Lit or Pure Lit. Looks like better to take Pure Lit. As you said you have to take combined humanites , so there will be SS+History as addtional subject, thought her school didn't say you cannot take SS+ Geo . They don't have such restriction

Also her school allow 9 subjects with two humanites & triple science. But think this option is for science students who don't want to get in to situation you describe ( C6 :lol: ) For student like your niece /My DD why you want to keep 3 Science , once your decide take Litrature :roll:

DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby koguma » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:34 pm

DadOfGirl wrote:Thank you again. My DD also like litrature , hence pondering whether to take SS+Lit or Pure Lit. Looks like better to take Pure Lit. As you said you have to take combined humanites , so there will be SS+History as addtional subject, thought her school didn't say you cannot take SS+ Geo . They don't have such restriction

Also her school allow 9 subjects with two humanites & triple science. But think this option is for science students who don't want to get in to situation you describe ( C6 :lol: ) For student like your niece /My DD why you want to keep 3 Science , once your decide take Litrature :roll:

My niece only did 2 Pure Sciences as the school does not allow 9 subjects with two humanities & triple science. She is better in Languages over Maths, hence I advise her to do Pure Lit, Pure Bio and Pure Chem and drop Pure Physics. I rather she study those subjects that she likes. Another reason is because she is not keen with engineering works, so I don't see the need for her to study Physics. She hopes to do Arts stream in JC.

Personally, if I think my niece can copy, I will strongly recommend her to do as many subjects as possible. Why waste the chance to learn more when you are given the opportunities. In fact, if the school allows, I would ask her to do Econs (not Pure Physics) as the 9th subject. Too bad the school don't allow such combination.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby DadOfGirl » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:23 am

koguma wrote:
DadOfGirl wrote:Thank you again. My DD also like litrature , hence pondering whether to take SS+Lit or Pure Lit. Looks like better to take Pure Lit. As you said you have to take combined humanites , so there will be SS+History as addtional subject, thought her school didn't say you cannot take SS+ Geo . They don't have such restriction

My niece only did 2 Pure Sciences as the school does not allow 9 subjects with two humanities & triple science. She is better in Languages over Maths, hence I advise her to do Pure Lit, Pure Bio and Pure Chem and drop Pure Physics. I rather she study those subjects that she likes. Another reason is because she is not keen with engineering works, so I don't see the need for her to study Physics. She hopes to do Arts stream in JC.

Personally, if I think my niece can copy, I will strongly recommend her to do as many subjects as possible. Why waste the chance to learn more when you are given the opportunities. In fact, if the school allows, I would ask her to do Econs (not Pure Physics) as the 9th subject. Too bad the school don't allow such combination.

I am in a similar situation. Command over language/ Interest to participate in Essary writing events prompted to opt for humanities. Her school, though allows 9 subjects with 2 hum & triple science. but we still going to drop physics. As you said , for me too engineering is far out as option. With bio pharmacy is still an option.

Her school also doesn't have Economics, but Art is offered , if teacher recommends. Hope ,she agrees to take it as 9th subject. It offers potential back-up , as other 2 subjects scores.

DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby koguma » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:00 am

DadOfGirl wrote:I am in a similar situation. Command over language/ Interest to participate in Essary writing events prompted to opt for humanities. Her school, though allows 9 subjects with 2 hum & triple science. but we still going to drop physics. As you said , for me too engineering is far out as option. With bio pharmacy is still an option.

Her school also doesn't have Economics, but Art is offered , if teacher recommends. Hope ,she agrees to take it as 9th subject. It offers potential back-up , as other 2 subjects scores.

If your daughter like Arts, it will be good to let her do the subject. But do take note that Arts in upper level is not just a 3hr paper in the "O" level exam. The student will receive the "O" level qns in Jan or Feb when they are in Sec 4. By Aug (i think) , the student must finish 8 pieces of preparatory studies. Hence, the student must be discplined to complete the 8 pieces on time.

All the best for your daughter in choosing the subjects she wants.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support