student councilor

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

student councilor

Postby lolls » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:37 am

is it useful to be a student councilor?
cos i feel that i wanna rejoin again

lolls
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby OngMum » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:26 am

Hi lolls,

I would regard being a student councilor as a great benefit for an individual in long run. This journey brings you the experience and knowledge which you will use in your future working world. You should look into the opportunity if it is offered to you again. :D

Check this out - http://www.eaglescross.org/studentslife01.html

All the best! Cheers!

OngMum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby lolls » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:54 pm

OngMum wrote:Hi lolls,

I would regard being a student councilor as a great benefit for an individual in long run. This journey brings you the experience and knowledge which you will use in your future working world. You should look into the opportunity if it is offered to you again. :D

Check this out - http://www.eaglescross.org/studentslife01.html

All the best! Cheers!

what is the minimum point for it?

lolls
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: student councilor

Postby Millicent » Thu May 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Grateful if current or past student councilors share how they prepare for the student councilor interview, what are the FAQs and their experience being student councilors. Thanks.

Millicent
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby meinteel » Sat May 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Being a student councillor is exhausting but it is very fun and beneficial too! I was a councillor in secondary school as well junior college.

We took charge of school celebrations, events etc. My college had a student parliament which consists of all the CCA leaders & class chairmans which was lead by the cabinet (Student councillors). From there, we were allowed to make make decisions and initiate projects (school competitions, funds for CCAs, support for our Campus Superstar, building of additional shelters, school polo tee etc etc). As councillors, we are also naturally in-charge of the College's orientation camp as well as Prom night - highlights of almost every college student.

However, as councillors we often spend time in school arguing, debating, planning, discussing till 9pm. Sometimes, we even had to obtain special permission from the College EXCO committee so as to keep the college gates open beyond 9pm.

Nevertheless, you will learn many skills - managing time, writing fully pledge proposals, workings of a corporate world, establishing relations with other schools & colleges, leadership skills. One can expect to form great friendships that go beyond school - especially so in small councils (15-20 odd).

For interviews, be confident and sincere. Usually two student councillors will interview you alongside a teacher adviser (Teachers in-charge of the student councillors).

Common Questions
- Why do you want to be a student councillor?
- Why do you think you are suitable for this post?
- What do you think are your strengths and weaknesses?
- What do you know about the students' council?
- Are there any areas of improvements you can think of?

Be frank about your likes, dislikes, weaknesses. Everyone has a flaw - being able to admit your own flaw shows good character and a potential leader.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Millicent » Sat May 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Hi meinteel,

My heartfelt appreciation of your detailed sharing on student councillors. Cheers!

Millicent
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support