LEARNConcierge

Time schedule & life of Secondary School

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: Time schedule & life of Secondary School

Postby SuccessTutors » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:21 pm

From a rather young age, my kids decided for themselves which schools and universities they wanted to go to. Similarly, they decided for themselves how much time to spend on their studies, hobbies, CCA, friend outings, family time etc

SuccessTutors
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re:

Postby janet88 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:52 am

mummyjoyce wrote:The moment she was online, many of her classmates started to chat with her asking her abt her day and homework questions :x
I was sitting next to her and obvious to close to 15min. NOW, i can totally understand the problem with kids going online chatting unnecessary stuffs and it is totally a waste of time.

my daughter's mobile is super active and filled with who and who following you on instagram.
i monitor her closely as it is a complete waste of time to yak when precious time can be spent on getting work done. even if asking about homework, don't they have a planner to copy down the work for the day? :mad:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Re:

Postby vinegar » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:12 am

janet88 wrote:my daughter's mobile is super active and filled with who and who following you on instagram.
i monitor her closely as it is a complete waste of time to yak when precious time can be spent on getting work done. even if asking about homework, don't they have a planner to copy down the work for the day? :mad:

Absolutely agree. My ds whatsapp group chat flooded with 2000 msg within an hour.
He has an organizer book given by the school but he is not making use of it. It seems that they keep track of activities etc using whatsapp.

vinegar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TheAnswer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:18 am

vinegar wrote:
janet88 wrote:my daughter's mobile is super active and filled with who and who following you on instagram.

Absolutely agree. My ds whatsapp group chat flooded with 2000 msg within an hour.
He has an organizer book given by the school but he is not making use of it. It seems that they keep track of activities etc using whatsapp.

This is totally normal. I even have parents chat group that spams messages also. Most of the time I only browse. Hardly reply.

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyPillow » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:20 am

ya, what is this generation called? the class rep/monitor wats app the class to remind hw, projects etc
Last yr my kid was not that wats app active but this yr in sec 2, he is totally into this thing .
All cca grp, academic, extra prog . extra roles have a grp , including youth grp, pri sch alumni, game alumni - All are Super active :sweat: sometimes when i took away, the class mates were discussing work over wats app and video call , then i got to give him the phone again
Conf call for lower sec is common now, I "faint" :faint:

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby XYZ1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:41 am

MyPillow wrote:All cca grp, academic, extra prog . extra roles have a grp , including youth grp, pri sch alumni, game alumni - All are Super active :sweat: sometimes when i took away, the class mates were discussing work over wats app and video call , then i got to give him the phone again

Same. After hp being kept away, usu after 10-15mins, DS would come to me and said that he need his hp to "check something with friends"...that something could be details for homework, or advice on how to do some questions, or even checking with teachers on the instructions given before....pattern liao-liao one....After giving the hp and if I walk into the room after 15mins, I see him swiping Instagram or watching youtube. :frustrated: :mad:
In pri school, he was totally not like this, when we said stop, he would stop and go back to his work, now too much distractions from all these watsapp groups...Actually we had agreed with him before giving him the hp (he did not even carry a phone in pri school at all) that he needed to abide by our agreed time out/hands-off period....that time he agreed so readily, now is 抛到九霄云外 already. I even asked the form teachers if I can take away his phone, but teachers said that in sec school, one of the mediums of dispensing instructions and info is via hp......so indirectly, the teachers are telling me hp is very important...and somemore must smart phone bcos no using sms....all via watsapp. I am open for DS to be using his hp so long as he does not display addiction and is behaving responsibly towards school work and exams....that's the 底线 for me. Still monitoring him, maybe when my 底线 is being stepped, I hv to just ban his phone for a longer period?

XYZ1
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jetsetter » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:32 am

Fix a time to switch on your Mobile Data/Wifi to read WAs? After HW and revision's done?
Fix a con call or video call time to discuss HW and CCAs?

Guess the schools want to train students to multitask and be work-ready? :lol: Aren't we like that too? But the diff is we're paid to respond in a timely manner and be on standby at unearthly hours.

Not sure whether it's a good tool or not. My nephew in pri sch relies heavily on WA to get instant solutions for his HW as his parents are working and he doesn't have tuition. Anything he does not know, he asks his classmates and some smart guy will instantaneously WA the model drawing or solution over. Parents got to watch what data they transfer to one another. You want to ensure they don't rely on ghost writers to do their HW.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:51 am

TheAnswer wrote:This is totally normal. I even have parents chat group that spams messages also. Most of the time I only browse. Hardly reply.

i like a 'clean' whatsapp page...ie only the ones i frequently whatsapp like immediate family members...same goes for SMS. for my email, i do frequent housekeeping to keep it to the minimum.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:56 am

The next thing you will notice is your child busting their data limit. Especially if they are holding leadership positions. So many things to organise and communicate.

I was amazed when I saw dd's nose glued to her phone and I told her off and she showed me that she was doing a school assignment on her phone. Some English essay writing assignment where students are supposed to log in to write & post their essays and critique their classmates work as well.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby janet88 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Funz wrote:The next thing you will notice is your child busting their data limit. Especially if they are holding leadership positions. So many things to organise and communicate.

I was amazed when I saw dd's nose glued to her phone and I told her off and she showed me that she was doing a school assignment on her phone. Some English essay writing assignment where students are supposed to log in to write & post their essays and critique their classmates work as well.

my daughter's data plan is very limited...in fact she can only whatsapp at home.
we are using M1. son is very lucky...he has 3gb data plan using hubby's corporate plan before the retrenchment. but end of this year when 2 years expire, will probably switch to student line or mysim plan.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge