LEARNConcierge

Time schedule & life of Secondary School

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: Time schedule & life of Secondary School

Postby MyPillow » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:18 pm

janet88 wrote:
Funz wrote:The next thing you will notice is your child busting their data limit. Especially if they are holding leadership positions. So many things to organise and communicate.

I was amazed when I saw dd's nose glued to her phone and I told her off and she showed me that she was doing a school assignment on her phone. Some English essay writing assignment where students are supposed to log in to write & post their essays and critique their classmates work as well.

my daughter's data plan is very limited...in fact she can only whatsapp at home.
we are using M1. son is very lucky...he has 3gb data plan using hubby's corporate plan before the retrenchment. but end of this year when 2 years expire, will probably switch to student line or mysim plan.

There is this SIM only plan , plan is cheap with 3 or 5Gb data at $20 only, all 3 operators have
but ds commented singt is most stable in his sch compound .

I guess all other boys are also v random n disorganised, they dunno how to or difficult to fix a fixed timing to log in to discuss work. And at one time, they can be in one for more chat grps. True that teachers are in their chat grp too . eg Sci chat, HMH chat, CCA chat, Form class chat , SEOW liao lor :siao: all can come in at diff time, I know coz I am holding his phone n i made know to ds I am reading for minimally him on impt msg while he needs to focus on his main work first ( I dun reply msg for him lar, sometime dd replied for fun n tease his fren :rotflmao: )

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:23 pm

I am just thankful that my kids did not have WA in early sec school! Perhaps parents should feedback to teachers about the issues of info and assignments on WA? Maybe such official stuff should be done on the computer, leaving WA to be social (and for the most urgent announcements).

And for less important stuff, let the kids tell their friends that they have "the Dr is IN" times (like Lucy the Peanuts comics).

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyPillow » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:26 pm

If u take or keep the phone away also no use Coz there is Lap top wats app and conferencing for project work discussion, they can continue the wats app on computer.
I keep telling ds to manage aand take charge of his own learning, as far as possible, I want to trust him , dun break the Trust and let parents take over the Control button again , like a Pri kid.

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:58 pm

MyPillow wrote:There is this SIM only plan , plan is cheap with 3 or 5Gb data at $20 only, all 3 operators have
but ds commented singt is most stable in his sch compound .

i must be very lucky to sign the M1 mysim $15 plan before it was discontinued. my data plan is only 1gb...enough for reading/sending email & whatsapp. cannot play games or else sure burst. hubby also signed a mysim $15 as a spare. when mum was hospitalized, i used hubby's m1 line to play games while in the hospital. kids are afraid to have their mobile phones confiscated if they burst their limits...so they are careful. BUT when they are at home, i have to monitor usage because there is wi-fi. you know what they do? they bring mobile phones into the toilet, lock the door and tell me they need to do biz.
SA1 these 3 weeks.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyPillow » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:17 pm

janet88 wrote:i must be very lucky to sign the M1 mysim $15 plan before it was discontinued. my data plan is only 1gb...enough for reading/sending email & whatsapp. cannot play games or else sure burst. hubby also signed a mysim $15 as a spare. when mum was hospitalized, i used hubby's m1 line to play games while in the hospital. kids are afraid to have their mobile phones confiscated if they burst their limits...so they are careful. BUT when they are at home, i have to monitor usage because there is wi-fi. you know what they do? they bring mobile phones into the toilet, lock the door and tell me they need to do biz.
SA1 these 3 weeks.

wow, 高招 ,who started this first :lol:

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:27 pm

son started it. he brought the mobile phone to the toilet, told me he needed peace and quiet :faint: to do biz.
then i told him sitting on the toilet bowl will cause piles. toilet time has reduced.
now daughter brings the mobile phone to the toilet as well...tells me exactly the same thing. so i told her piles are painful and need operation. now she says she needs to take a relaxing bath after a tiring day in school.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:09 pm

Some kids use the reason/excuse of parents limit access (or early bedtime) and conveniently disappear on the evening when group project is due at 2359 when they have not finish their part.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby vinegar » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:37 pm

MyPillow wrote:ya, what is this generation called? the class rep/monitor wats app the class to remind hw, projects etc
Last yr my kid was not that wats app active but this yr in sec 2, he is totally into this thing .
All cca grp, academic, extra prog . extra roles have a grp , including youth grp, pri sch alumni, game alumni - All are Super active :sweat: sometimes when i took away, the class mates were discussing work over wats app and video call , then i got to give him the phone again
Conf call for lower sec is common now, I "faint" :faint:

Exactly. My DS told me that it was the teacher who told the class monitor to inform the class on the assignment, etc...

I hv no choice but to give him 10mins to chk thru his whatsapp everyday, as advised by his teachers.

vinegar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:59 pm

I noticed that nowadays DS only uses WhatsApp for homework/projects/tests/CCA and other school activities. WhatsApp has become unhappening. The ones that irritate me are SnapChat, Instagram, Telegram, Skype, etc. :slapshead:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:00 pm

vinegar wrote:
MyPillow wrote:ya, what is this generation called? the class rep/monitor wats app the class to remind hw, projects etc
Last yr my kid was not that wats app active but this yr in sec 2, he is totally into this thing .
All cca grp, academic, extra prog . extra roles have a grp , including youth grp, pri sch alumni, game alumni - All are Super active :sweat: sometimes when i took away, the class mates were discussing work over wats app and video call , then i got to give him the phone again
Conf call for lower sec is common now, I "faint" :faint:

Exactly. My DS told me that it was the teacher who told the class monitor to inform the class on the assignment, etc...

I hv no choice but to give him 10mins to chk thru his whatsapp everyday, as advised by his teachers.

10 mins is OK, surely? In fact, I prefer to let kids have access for short periods so they get to practise switching it off. Keeping them from it altogether doesn't enable them to practise that skill!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge