Any disadvantage in JC if child takes combine sci in sec sch

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: Any disadvantage in JC if child takes combine sci in sec

Post by meinteel » Tue May 24, 2011 6:43 pm

I understand what you mean by giving every kid a chance. If you firmly believe you can do it, one can always talk to the college.

Though one must know that it will be very difficult for the kid. He must work really really hard.

zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:50

Post by zeemimi » Wed May 25, 2011 3:25 pm

If your child doesn't do well in combined science at 'o' level, probably his strength is not in the sciences and hoping for him to do H2 Science at JC will be a torture. Making him do triple science at 'o' level is not very ideal either.

Look for his strength. Perhaps in the languages or humanities. If his strength is in the sciences, work hard to get into the triple science class.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by koguma » Wed May 25, 2011 3:59 pm

you may want to check with the Sec school on the selection criteria for triple science class. if the school only looks at Eng, Maths, Sci scores, then you may want to encourage your child to work harder on these 3 subjects.

if the school looks at the overall percentage and not just the 3 subjects, then you may want to choose the best Pure sci and combined sci option for your child. your child situation is better than those students who only do combined sci only. but i know of students with only combined sci proceed on to do one H2 sci in JC.

Sec schools usually conduct at least 1 briefing sessions to the students for sec 2 streaming. you can use these opportunities to talk to the teachers to find out more on their selection criteria.

i think the most important thing is what your child really like to study.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by meinteel » Wed May 25, 2011 4:51 pm

What most schools will do is to arrange all the students according to the total number of points they obtain. The students with the least points (every subject A1) will get placed into the class of his 1st choice - very likely the pure science class. They will go down the list from there.

Assuming that the top 20 students choose class A and the 21st to 30th student chooses class B, then the 31st to 39th students will still stand a chance for Class A.

Therefore, students who did badly as compared to their schoolmates will technically be left without a choice. It is very likely they will end up in classes which are not popular.

By the current trend, most students tend to go for pure sciences class, Classes offering Additional Mathematics. The least popular classes tend to be humanities due to the difficulty of the lower secondary history and literature.

FrekiWang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by FrekiWang » Thu May 26, 2011 10:25 pm

AffectParent wrote:Very disheartened.
Now I really felt that Singapore education system is a one way system, no turning back.
Once my child loose out in PSLE and end up in neighbour school, it is pretty hard to keep up the race.
Do not lose hope please.

First of all, JC route is still better than Poly, assuming your child is in the express stream of a neighbourhood school by examining the combi offered by school. A BCC/C in A level guarantees a position in one of the local Unis while an excellent cap of 3.5/4 from poly is needed for the same purpose. 80% of the JC graduates qualify for Unis but only 5-7% of Poly graduates qualify. The worst thing about poly is - for whatever the course your child choose, he can apply for a similar major in Uni, and all the other 'doors' in Uni are closed.

Second, let me assume your child may have little chance to go to the top JCs(HCI, RI, VJC, NJC, ACJC) because these JCs demand a L1R5 of 3 to 6.
As for some other JCs, you need a minimum of C6 in pure science or B4 in combined science to take the relevant H2 subjects. However, do not worry too much. Assuming your child is doing A Maths, pure physics, combined science(chem/bio), in JC, you child will only take up 3 subjects at H2 level, probably H2 Maths, H2 Physics and H2 Chemistry. Comparing to those who did pure physics and pure chemistry, your child is only lacking of some knowledge in chemistry only. The difference is not that much for catching up, or you may just need to find a suitable chemistry tutor to coach your child for a few weeks in December then the gap will become even smaller.
------ From a current junior college teacher

von72
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by von72 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi AffectParent, don't be disheartened....i share your anxiety sincerely as my boy be having his streaming this yr too....share ur worries with ur boy. Encourage him to work n strive for his best....sit down with him n work a target n goals with him...even if there's only 1 pure science class, work towards being part of it. He still has 2 terms to "fight" b4 the final curtain. Irregardless of which school, is the attitude one has and support that we provide be a push factor for our dear child. There's always a place for everyone.....the only difference is u may take a longer route....
Good luck n all the best!!

jen.95
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by jen.95 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:56 am

Do not be worry abt your child not being able to do pure science.

I have a friend who took combined science (since he was in NA stream, he was only allowed to do combined sci) went on to JC taking on double H2 Science (bio and chem). FYI, he only score A2 for his combined science(Bio/CHEM) and he wasn't offered A.MATH. He is currently doing a degree in science at NUS.

Not being able to do pure science is not the end.

However, if your child really enjoy science, just go ahead to take pure science. It no point taking pure sci and failed. An art stream student can do well and enter uni too.

hometutors.sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by hometutors.sg » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:57 pm

Not impossible. But its gonna be very very difficult for the child.

caroline3sg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by caroline3sg » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:16 am

Hi
I also need advice on double pure or combined Science. My girl is an average student studying in a North sec sch. This year also streaming.

She obtained B3 for Chem & C5 for Physics in Science. She is in Express Stream and A Maths is compulsory.

First class is triple Science (total 8 subjects), 2 classes of double Science (8 subjects) and 1 class of combined Science (7 subjects).

She aspires to be kindergarten teacher because she likes kids. I looked up NP on its Dip in Early Childhood Edu and Science is not one of L1R4.

I choose combined Science so that she can concentrate on double Maths, CH (Geo) & POA but she prefers double Science, as one will not affect the other plus peer pressure I guess and also the social stigma of combine Science being the last class.

What are your views?

Even talking to Physics teacher doesnt give "solid advice", he just said let her choose when I told him our concerns.

The other thing is, can she be primary sch teacher if she continues her degree at Wheelock Uni (Aust) - this is continuing from NP Dip. Does MOE only recognise local uni?

Thank you

zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:50

Post by zeemimi » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:41 am

caroline3sg wrote:Hi
I also need advice on double pure or combined Science. My girl is an average student studying in a North sec sch. This year also streaming.

She obtained B3 for Chem & C5 for Physics in Science. She is in Express Stream and A Maths is compulsory.

First class is triple Science (total 8 subjects), 2 classes of double Science (8 subjects) and 1 class of combined Science (7 subjects).

She aspires to be kindergarten teacher because she likes kids. I looked up NP on its Dip in Early Childhood Edu and Science is not one of L1R4.

I choose combined Science so that she can concentrate on double Maths, CH (Geo) & POA but she prefers double Science, as one will not affect the other plus peer pressure I guess and also the social stigma of combine Science being the last class.

What are your views?

Even talking to Physics teacher doesnt give "solid advice", he just said let her choose when I told him our concerns.

The other thing is, can she be primary sch teacher if she continues her degree at Wheelock Uni (Aust) - this is continuing from NP Dip. Does MOE only recognise local uni?

Thank you
If physics is not her forte, i would suggest not to take pure physics. it gets more confusing for her with time.

Going for double science chem & bio would be a good choice.

For all you know, her aspirations may change along the way. double science would offer more choices.