Unlike Pri edu , Sec edu doesn't have good Tution Classes

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Unlike Pri edu , Sec edu doesn't have good Tution Classes

Postby DadOfGirl » Fri May 27, 2011 3:17 pm

Like Mind Stretcher etc which has islandwide centers...

Is it because seconday education is supplimented with Private tution rather than Tution classes.

DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Unlike Pri edu , Sec edu doesn't have good Tution Classe

Postby meinteel » Sat May 28, 2011 4:09 pm

The market for secondary tuition is smaller than that of the primary.

Firstly, parents find it harder to force the child to tuition.
Secondly, it is harder & more expensive to run a secondary level tuition centre.

Secondary tuition classes are dominated mainly by private tutors running small group classes like Physics.com and Joss stick society. Private home tuition are also popular choices.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby DadOfGirl » Sun May 29, 2011 12:01 pm

Prefer group learning. More structured class room type coaching center for Sec2 maths.
Any recommendation in West part of Singapore

DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cg88 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:58 am

My DS just joined this tuition centre called "Visual Text Education". I had arranged a trial lesson for him as he didn't do well for his maths. After that session, he was so impressed with the tutor, who is also the Principal of the centre, that he insisted that I must signed him up for the maths class. Basically, the principal is able to explain the concept in such a way that he can get it! Now he enjoys going to his class and is more vocal in asking questions.
The centre only caters for secondary Maths and Science and they also make the class size small. The kid actually get a lot of interactions with the tutor.
They will be moving to City Square Mall in July. You can check out their website at www.visualtexteducation.com

cg88
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby LOLMum » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:05 pm

my take from talking to teachers are they expect secondary school students to be able to handle school work and revision themselves using assessment/reference books, internet, projects, discussions/study groups with fellow class/schoolmates and discussions with teachers.

i asked dd's teachers if i should get her to attend tuition classes and they immediately said "no, no no". dont understand check with teachers.

anyway, secondary students have too many school activities and projects to find time for tuition.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby parent_in_west » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:15 am

Most of my friends send their sec school children to private home tutors for lessons. Think there are really very few good tuition centres for sec school pupils.

My child is so busy in sec school that there is no time for tuition.

parent_in_west
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support