Good maths textbooks/assessment books for sec. math

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Good maths textbooks/assessment books for sec. math

Postby Looking for Success » Mon May 30, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi

My daughter is struggling with her sec 2 maths. when i talk to her tutor and her school teacher, they just keep saying must practice more..but practise from what?

does anyone know of good math reference book or assessment book for which my girl can start practising from

Please help

Looking for Success
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Good maths textbooks/assessment books for sec. math

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue May 31, 2011 7:08 pm

Looking for Success wrote:Hi

My daughter is struggling with her sec 2 maths. when i talk to her tutor and her school teacher, they just keep saying must practice more..but practise from what?

does anyone know of good math reference book or assessment book for which my girl can start practising from

Please help

hmm tutor as in home tutor or a tuition centre teacher?
If she already has a home tutor, then why not ask the tutor to recommend one? After all, only the tutor knows her standard and which book will best suits her.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby PiggyLalala » Tue May 31, 2011 8:24 pm

Casco - Mathematics Tutor 2A and 2B by Lee Ann- Goh. It is a good assessment book for students who are weak in Maths and need drills and practice. You may want to check it out.

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Looking for Success » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:46 am

Ok let me check that...but looks like the Longman Practice Guide is also good...many practice questions

Looking for Success
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby PiggyLalala » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:02 am

Longman published quite a number of Sec 2 Maths assessment books. Not too sure which one u refer to. A few Longman book classify the questions according to its difficulties, Level 1, 2, 3. In Casco, Mathematics tutor, the questions in each chapter are grouped to its types; Questions that uses the same Mathematical approach are grouped together. So it is book to consider if the child needs drill and practice. Personally, I also prefer the assessment book to have the working space in it.

The above is just my opionion.

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Looking for Success » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:06 am

Great! Let me try get it for my girl then..thanks so much!

Looking for Success
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support