Combined Humanities - SS and Elec Geo

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Combined Humanities - SS and Elec Geo

Postby happytoad » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi,
Care to share some hot tips on how to study SS and elective Geography?
My son sitting for his 'O' this year and he simply doesnt understand these 2 subjects, straight Fs all the way since last year.... :(

Thanks for sharing!

happytoad
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:07 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Combined Humanities - SS and Elec Geo

Postby twilight » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:13 pm

It's largely memorisation for GE. The textbook provides more than enough information. So memorise everything in the textbook and make sure you answer to the questions. If time is a problem, practise writing faster.

As for SS, the SEQ is also largely memorisation. SBQ requires practice.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:53 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: Combined Humanities - SS and Elec Geo

Postby happytoad » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:59 pm

twilight wrote:It's largely memorisation for GE. The textbook provides more than enough information. So memorise everything in the textbook and make sure you answer to the questions. If time is a problem, practise writing faster.

As for SS, the SEQ is also largely memorisation. SBQ requires practice.


Thank you very much for your advice! Will 'force' my son to memorise the facts :)

happytoad
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:07 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Combined Humanities - SS and Elec Geo

Postby cheese » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:08 am

How to score in social and elec geo besides memorising? Any good recommendation assessments or reference books? TIA

cheese
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:42 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Combined Humanities - SS and Elec Geo

Postby twilight » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:47 pm

There's really no other way around it. Or at least, not that I know of. SBQ for SS cannot be studied. It's more of a skill based question but for SEQ, no choice, you really have to memorise the examples at least. Maybe you can write the essay and links on the spot, but you definitely will need to quote examples. I personally find it easier to memorise model essays and just vomit everything out during exams as there really isn't much time to be thinking on the spot.

I don't use reference books for SS since my school gives ample worksheet and notes but for GE, the reference book by Marshall Cavendish is quite good. There are many examples inside that are not mentioned in the textbook, and also some additional points. Otherwise usually textbook is sufficient. Not sure what's the name though.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:53 pm
Total Likes: 1



Re: Combined Humanities - SS and Elec Geo

Postby cheese » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:17 pm

twilight wrote:There's really no other way around it. Or at least, not that I know of. SBQ for SS cannot be studied. It's more of a skill based question but for SEQ, no choice, you really have to memorise the examples at least. Maybe you can write the essay and links on the spot, but you definitely will need to quote examples. I personally find it easier to memorise model essays and just vomit everything out during exams as there really isn't much time to be thinking on the spot.

I don't use reference books for SS since my school gives ample worksheet and notes but for GE, the reference book by Marshall Cavendish is quite good. There are many examples inside that are not mentioned in the textbook, and also some additional points. Otherwise usually textbook is sufficient. Not sure what's the name though.



Tks.

cheese
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:42 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Combined Humanities - SS and Elec Geo

Postby Worry-Mummy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:37 pm

happytoad wrote:Hi,
Care to share some hot tips on how to study SS and elective Geography?
My son sitting for his 'O' this year and he simply doesnt understand these 2 subjects, straight Fs all the way since last year.... :(

Thanks for sharing!


hi...
I think my girl has the same problem as your son...She is taking N level this yr...

Worry-Mummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:15 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Combined Humanities - SS and Elec Geo

Postby BakaKiasu » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Hello, I am a O level student who just received my results 2 days ago. My combined humanities elective is combined SS & History ( got an A1 for it ), so I don't think I can offer any advice on Geography.

But for SS's SBQ, best is to include cross-referencing of sources to gain marks for utility and reliability questions. And also to infer if the provenance [ author / artist ] of the source is bias or not. Your child's / your teacher most likely had given him/her/you some examples of the answers of certain popular SBQ questions. You probably need to remember the format of the answers for certain questions. BTW, a basic inference question should come out for the O level exams, since it's been the pattern for years, or so I've heard. So must be familiar with this type of question. It's worth around 5-6 marks!

And must remember to give evidence from the source provided and explain it.

For SEQ, I think reading your notes from your teacher & textbook would help. Memorising of model essays may help too, but I didn't try that, so am unsure of it's effectiveness. Treat the examiner like they don't know the topic and write your essay :x

BakaKiasu
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:42 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Combined Humanities - SS and Elec Geo

Postby wilburlim » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:47 pm

For Social Studies, it would be quite a grueling subject for idle students, well unless if you really put in the effort to memorize all the exact facts and subtle details in order to score well in the essay questions. The other questions, based on the given sources A, B, C and such, require intensive pondering and good English vocabulary. From my experience, these questions need certain frameworks to write upon, so I suggest that you buy for your child assessment books on Social Studies Answering Skills. (By the way, History and Social Studies are a bit related. It will be an added advantage for History students.)

For Geography, it's all just memorizing really, except for the map reading (topographical) questions. That requires you to integrate some of the textbook knowledge into your answers. I have learned that long answers don't necessarily entail higher marks.

These are my advices for you.

wilburlim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:35 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Combined Humanities - SS and Elec Geo

Postby pinky » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:51 pm

For Geography elect, your child is also required to draw-how rivers/coast/waterfall etc are formed step by step so need to practise often.

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2818
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:03 am
Total Likes: 0



Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support