How to cope with child who failed Maths at Sec 3?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

How to cope with child who failed Maths at Sec 3?

Postby happymum8 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:25 am

Dear All,

My DS has just entered to an IP school at sec 3 this year.

His maths at sec 1 & 2 has always been A1.

However, 1st term of this year, he got a 57% and his resent test is 28/60 (is 40% of this term weightage). Though the assignment of 60% might help him to pass, but paper itself is a flop....

The maths structure is a combination of E & A maths.

I've already get a tutor for him a month before this test and he attempted the past year questions from his school without much difficulties.

I don't know what is really wrong.... however, I've to tell him that this is not the end of the world and I can see he is really working hard too.....

Need some help from the parents and see how I can do next.

Thank you. :sweat:

happymum8
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: How to cope with child who failed Maths at Sec 3?

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:03 pm

Your kid is in nus high? Maybe his test is unusually tough? Check with the tutor if its the case that the test is much tougher than the past yr questions he practised?

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby lizawa » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:48 am

happymum8,

Some IP schools teach Mathematics at accelerated pace. In Sec 1, they may already have learnt both Sec 1 and 2 topics and in Sec 3, they are probably doing both Sec 3 and 4 topics. It's not uncommon to see many high order questions in IP Mathematics papers. The students also may not have as many practices for homework. They may be expected to take the initative to do the practices on their own.

Perhaps you can find out how the class did for the test, is he average or below average. Then get the tutor to analyze his papers to see why he was not doing as well. Sometimes, the child also need time to adjust to the new enviornment and a different way of teaching and learning.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby FrekiWang » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:18 am

happymum8 wrote:Dear All,

My DS has just entered to an IP school at sec 3 this year.

His maths at sec 1 & 2 has always been A1.

However, 1st term of this year, he got a 57% and his resent test is 28/60 (is 40% of this term weightage). Though the assignment of 60% might help him to pass, but paper itself is a flop....

The maths structure is a combination of E & A maths.

I've already get a tutor for him a month before this test and he attempted the past year questions from his school without much difficulties.

I don't know what is really wrong.... however, I've to tell him that this is not the end of the world and I can see he is really working hard too.....

Need some help from the parents and see how I can do next.

Thank you. :sweat:

Do not worry too much if the boy has no attitude problem. Find a good tutor to bring him back to the right track and he will excel in no time.

FrekiWang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jen.95 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:18 pm

It will be better to ask your DS the performance of his cohort. Just based on the marks alone, he might be seems to score badly. However, in relation to the whole cohort, he might way above average. If that is the case, there is nothing to worry about, maybe it just that the paper is set to be a killer.

jen.95
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby happymum8 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:54 pm

I thank you all for your kind and valuable advice.

However, only a handful failed in his class. I am trying to encourage him and asked him to practise more and ask early if he has any doubts.

I'll also ask the current tutor to help and monitor him.

I hope this phase of getting use to IP will not cause him to be asked to leave the school......

happymum8
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby namelessname » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:39 am

I believe what your child is facing right now is that he didnt learn a lot of things that is taught in Sec 1 and Sec 2 in that school. As you has said, the syllabus is different from other school. Also, the diffculties of the questions may be on a whole new level and the skill requires is not longer just by drilling basis. Maybe you can ask the tutor to have a look at the school papers to give you some feedback on how different is it? I know some schools dont just train the students for Olevel. They want the students to master the reasonings, communication and apply heuristic skills. All these are more gears towards competition maths which the current MOE syllabus and many schools are not focusing on. That is also the reason why the national standard for Singapore students able to do well on international platform but lose out on reasoning section.

Hope that helps.

namelessname
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support