Do you still insist yr child to excel in sec sch chinese?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Do you still insist yr child to excel in sec sch chinese?

Postby PiggyLalala » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:57 pm

What are your views on the above question?

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Do you still insist yr child to excel in sec sch chinese

Postby LOLMum » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:09 pm

nope, not anymore. dd is doing her best and i dont wish to kill her interest (no matter how small it is).

dh and i are happy with a just pass but dd is the one pushing for a bit higher than just pass.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby PiggyLalala » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:12 pm

Glad that your dd is trying her best.. but does she read any chinese story books or newspaper? Do u send her for tuition? Thanks

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Edureach » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:21 pm

Mine not keen in this subject. Sat for 0-level CH in sec3 followed by HCL in sec4. Did enough to escape MT in jc. I asked both kids why they did not do their best, their reply was since they do not have the aptitude to excel, must as well concentrate on other subjects. Leave this area to prospective PSC China scholars lah.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby PiggyLalala » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:27 pm

Edureach wrote:Mine not keen in this subject. Sat for 0-level CH in sec3 followed by HCL in sec4. Did enough to escape MT in jc. I asked both kids why they did not do their best, their reply was since they do not have the aptitude to excel, must as well concentrate on other subjects. Leave this area to prospective PSC China scholars lah.

So you just let them be not keen in the subject? Did you not push them / nag at them to do better?

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:27 pm

thanks, mine had one to one chinese tuition for about 4 months, now she is in a group tuition.

as much as we would like her to read the chinese newspapers or something easier like comics, her interest is not there. even chinese show or shows are of no interest to her.

+ she has alot of projects, so whatever time she has, she will try to do her school chinese textbooks and a chinese novel she has to complete soon.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Edureach » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:31 pm

PiggyLalala wrote:
Edureach wrote:Mine not keen in this subject. Sat for 0-level CH in sec3 followed by HCL in sec4. Did enough to escape MT in jc. I asked both kids why they did not do their best, their reply was since they do not have the aptitude to excel, must as well concentrate on other subjects. Leave this area to prospective PSC China scholars lah.

So you just let them be not keen in the subject? Did you not push them / nag at them to do better?

Nagging also not use. They are just not interested. Even if both were to spend much time, invariably other subjects would be affected. No talent in this area why try so hard?

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby PiggyLalala » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:03 pm

If your child has done well in PSLE chinese because of all the drills and practice that you have been pushing him in the primary school and now that in the sec sch, because of the lack of interest, he has decided to put in minimial effort in the subject, will you accept this kind of attitude?

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:44 pm

DD was in that case. Grandma drilled her to death in Chinese. She completely flipped the other way in secondary school... and I could do nothing because it's too much effort to fight with a teen. Live and let live. She asked for tuition but could not stay with it because we aren't a tuition sort of family. So, she dropped out after 3 months. In Sec 4, she scored a D7 for Higher Chinese.

This meant that she had to take AO levels in JC in Yr 1. Through sheer cramming, she got an A1. And she is so happy that she never has to take another Chinese exam again. All in all, it's quite worth it lah... minimal time spent on a painful subject and a last minute sprint for an A1. The rest of the time she had loads of fun. In secondary school, it's time to accumulate an impressive portfolio. Grades can slip a bit, just don't do so badly that you get kicked out.

Buck up in JC lor....

Personally, I do wish that she could have learnt to like Chinese. But we all wish many things we don't have so... it's a wish.

DS is luckier. I sacked Grandma and whilst he works hard on Chinese, he does not hate it. He does not particularly love it either. And he is far more competent. I am hopeful that he will learn to like it. If he doesn't, I ain't gonna do anything. When comes JC, children who are motivated (and do well generally across most subjects) will make an effort even for subjects they hate. Me, I hated Math. Flunked it every year. At 'O' levels, scored A1. Again, quite worth it. Instead of suffering for 4 years, I suffered the last 6 months of Sec 4... still can get A1. Ok. Happy. I still hate Math.

So... if my kid hates it. He hates it. There is nothing I can do. So I'll let things be and encourage him in all other areas that he loves and when the time comes to sprint, I'll be there to help. Suffer 6 months in JC1 boning up on a hated subject is better than suffer 4 years of sustained torture at a hated subject.

BUT... I don't recommend it. I do that with my DD 'cos I did not mind to take a risk that she does badly for CL. If grades are important to you, then you may not wanna take my tidak apa attitude. PSLE was important 'cos I wanted her to get into a good secondary school. Sec 1 to Sec 4, the stakes are not so high. So... I let her be.

Also, in teen years, there are a whole host of other problems that aren't academic related. I focused on maintaining a close emotional link so that I could be a friend/mother/guide... and Tiger Mom all rolled into 1. Must choose my battles 'cos the teen years are fraught with battles big and small.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zeemimi » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:35 pm

PiggyLalala wrote:If your child has done well in PSLE chinese because of all the drills and practice that you have been pushing him in the primary school and now that in the sec sch, because of the lack of interest, he has decided to put in minimial effort in the subject, will you accept this kind of attitude?

Secondary sch chinese is really deep and different. Esp HCL. It's like GP in chinese. At sec sch, if the child does not learn to push himself, very jiak lak. How long are we going to push our kids? :sweat:
zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support