Which is your ideal choice?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Which is your ideal choice?

Postby ppnqq » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Which is your preferred choice: Your child being only an average student in a good school or one of the top students in a neighborhood school? Why?

Appreciate all sharing. :rahrah:

ppnqq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Which is your ideal choice?

Postby MMM » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:48 pm

ppnqq wrote:Which is your preferred choice: Your child being only an average student in a good school or one of the top students in a neighborhood school? Why?

Appreciate all sharing. :rahrah:

Just curious, what makes you think that a average student in "top schools"= top students in neighbourhood school??? :?

This may not necessarily be the case.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ppnqq » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi MMM, thank you for your reply.

Well, of course cannot be all but at least from my social circle, most of the children whom I know or heard of are like this, and of course, here, we are not talking about those elite children who opt out the good schools and went into neighborhood schools as these cases are rare.

JMHO.

ppnqq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby dasalo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:51 pm

MMM wrote:Just curious, what makes you think that a average student in "top schools"= top students in neighbourhood school??? :?

Agree.

ppnqq wrote:we are not talking about those elite children who opt out the good schools and went into neighborhood schools as these cases are rare.

I know of one student who scored 260 went to a 230 COP school saying she wants to be the top student there. Yesterday, I just found out from a friend that her result were under par. Not that she mixes with bad companies or sorts, I really don't know what happened.

dasalo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MandyMummy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:59 pm

Peer influence during their teenage years is usually the main worry of parents. Also, must take in account the study culture of the school. :smile:

MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Mdm Koh » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:12 pm

dasalo wrote:
MMM wrote:Just curious, what makes you think that a average student in "top schools"= top students in neighbourhood school??? :?

Agree.

ppnqq wrote:we are not talking about those elite children who opt out the good schools and went into neighborhood schools as these cases are rare.

I know of one student who scored 260 went to a 230 COP school saying she wants to be the top student there. Yesterday, I just found out from a friend that her result were under par. Not that she mixes with bad companies or sorts, I really don't know what happened.

A high score in the PSLE doesn't guarantee good grades in Sec One. The student may be having problems coping with the new subjects.

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jedamum » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:49 pm

not trying to make sweeping statement here, but personal opinion is that besides coping with new subjects, schools that have 230 COP may not have the same/comparable teaching culture/techniques/framework/guidelines/tips/focus as compared to schools having 260 COP.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:26 am

as they say, iron sharpens iron

"streaming" by ability has more merits than otherwise

and ability is usually benchmarked by exam results most of the time though many can dispute it is not conclusive....must cater for late developer bla bla bla...later developer can be benchmarked against their peers too...

and hence naturally most of the high scorers go to schools with high cop and so on and so forth

highly gifted kids find normal mainstream lessons boring

high ability learner find the learning pace among his lower cop comrades stifling or too easy....and too easy will result in too much slacking, just flow along, and eventually slide down to similar performance level of his lower cop comrades... you people call it peer influence ?

so, :siam: :siam: :duck: :duck:
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:27 am

jedamum wrote:not trying to make sweeping statement here, but personal opinion is that besides coping with new subjects, schools that have 230 COP may not have the same/comparable teaching culture/techniques/framework/guidelines/tips/focus as compared to schools having 260 COP.

well said
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MandyMummy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:58 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:as they say, iron sharpens iron

"streaming" by ability has more merits than otherwise

and ability is usually benchmarked by exam results most of the time though many can dispute it is not conclusive....must cater for late developer bla bla bla...later developer can be benchmarked against their peers too...

and hence naturally most of the high scorers go to schools with high cop and so on and so forth

highly gifted kids find normal mainstream lessons boring

high ability learner find the learning pace among his lower cop comrades stifling or too easy....and too easy will result in too much slacking, just flow along, and eventually slide down to similar performance level of his lower cop comrades... you people call it peer influence ?

so, :siam: :siam: :duck: :duck:

Academic streaming does not always result in peer influence. Peer influence is everywhere during adolescence, from church groups, CCA, primary school friends, classmates. It is present in all schools including top schools.

"Peer pressure refers to the influence exerted by a peer group in encouraging a person to change his or her attitudes, values, or behavior in order to conform to group norms"

When a child does not perform up to expectation in secondary school. A number of factors need to be explored.
1. Cognitive ability and Study skills. The set of study skills in secondary school is different from that in a primary school.
2. Time management. CCA and projects eats into homework and revision time.
3. Study culture of school.
4. Emotional problems - some kids lost interest in studies, some face BGR problems, family problems etc
5. Negative peer influence.

The last two are the most difficult to manage.
I know of a case of a RI boy who was expelled as a result of his behaviour stemming from negative peer influence. Don't ask me why so sure it is negative peer influence. This a very sad case despite professional counseling.

MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support