Please help to give advice!

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Please help to give advice!

Postby Qinqin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:47 pm

Can a kind soul give some advice to me?
I am very confused on whether to select Pure Geog or Pure Hist. I don't really have any preference for the subjects.
These are my results:

English 67 B3
Higher Chinese 68 B3
Mathematics 85 A1
Malay Special Programme 88 A1
Science 76 A1
Geography 84 A1
History 76 A1
Eng Lit 64 B4
Art 69 B3

Level Position: 68/203
Class Position: 15/41
Overall : 71.4%

The criteria is:
For all triple science: maths> 75% and science > 70%
Pure History > 65%
Pure Geography > 65%
For all 9 subject combinations: overall > 70%

I am planning to take triple science, AMaths, EMaths, English, Higher Chinese, Ss. But I can't decide between Pure History or Pure Geog.
Would some one please enlighten me?
Thank you :smile:

Qinqin
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Please help to give advice!

Postby wat » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:41 pm

It depends on what you like and where is easier for you to score.

Geog is mainly physical geog and human geog.
History is SBQ and SEQ.

For my dd, she chose triple science with history elective as she find history more interesting than geog although history takes a lot more memorization.

But as what she told me, triple science with geog is much more popular with her peers.

It all depends on your strengths, good luck! :)

wat
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby pojo » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:18 pm

Qinqin wrote:Can a kind soul give some advice to me?
I am very confused on whether to select Pure Geog or Pure Hist. I don't really have any preference for the subjects.
These are my results:

English 67 B3
Higher Chinese 68 B3
Mathematics 85 A1
Science 76 A1
Geography 84 A1
History 76 A1
Eng Lit 64 B4
Art 69 B3

The criteria is:
Pure History > 65%
Pure Geography > 65%

I am planning to take triple science, AMaths, EMaths, English, Higher Chinese, Ss. But I can't decide between Pure History or Pure Geog.

Hi Qinqin

The best advice you can get is to follow your heart. Take the subject you like not whether you think you can score in the subject.

pojo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Mdm Koh » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:58 am

pojo wrote:
Qinqin wrote:Can a kind soul give some advice to me?
These are my results:

English 67 B3
Higher Chinese 68 B3
Mathematics 85 A1
Science 76 A1
Geography 84 A1
History 76 A1
Eng Lit 64 B4
Art 69 B3

The criteria is:
Pure History > 65%
Pure Geography > 65%

Hi Qinqin

The best advice you can get is to follow your heart. Take the subject you like not whether you think you can score in the subject.

I second this. :smile:

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby twilight » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:07 pm

Hm as the syllabus is changing and I have no idea what changes are going to be made, I can't give any advice either except seeing which one you like more. If you have no preference, just toss a coin. Also, look at your school's history. For my school, there has never been a history class offered for triple science as there are not enough takers. So maybe it'll save you some headache if you realise your school has never offered history or geography for triple science too. See which is the more popular choice in your school, as that will likely indicate a better performance in that subject.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby meinteel » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:47 am

History is very much about academic writing. Be it SBQ or Essay writing, this academic writing skill will be needed in numerous subjects at pre-uni (JCs/CIs) levels as well as at universities. That being said, this skill isn't easy to pick up. Either than that, questions are usually very straight forward and there can't be any surprises. How many ways can you ask about the reasons/consequences of WW2?

Geography maybe considered a humanities subject, but it is very much a science. It emphases more on theories like sciences rather than academic reasoning like what is done in History.

At the end of the day, it really depends on which subject interest you more. That will be a greater factor towards which subject you would do better as your examination approaches. If you dont really know which you like more, pick the subject that you had less trouble studying. Less effort for better results = maximisation of time for other subjects that you maybe weak in.

If you are asking about usefulness, both has their own pros and cons. Geography sets a good foundation for related subjects and fields. History on the other hand helps to hone skills that would be useful for many subjects. How useful is academic writing? Wait till you are told to write essays for science subjects in universities.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support