All about preparing for Sec 1

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

All about preparing for Sec 1

Postby ppnqq » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:48 am

Experienced parents can share and advise please? :thankyou: :imcool:

ppnqq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: All about preparing for Sec 1

Postby jtoh » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:30 am

What would you like to know?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kiasuparent1998 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:28 pm

Buy textbooks earlier and read ahead:) With that being said, it is very impt to build a strong foundation in primary sch as well. So i think it'll be good if ur child can revise the pri sch topics and read ahead as well. CCAs might take a hard toll on many children so make sure u equip ur child with time management skills so that they can balance work and play in their sec sch life. Hope this helps and all the best! Jia you! :rahrah:

kiasuparent1998
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kiasu_mum75 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:21 am

i think you can try the following:
1) Bring your child to visit the new school for familiarization
2) Join the Parent Support Group
3) check school website for more information
4) Start choosing 1 to 2 CCAs in the school
5) Buy textbooks earlier
6) Teach your child how to manage time wisely because there are many more subjects now in Sec 1
7) Handle your child in terms of relationships..they start to look for gf and bf now ! HAHA! :)

Good luck!

kiasu_mum75
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MandyMummy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:52 am

Hi, can parents share what types of school bags are suitable for sec school students? Which are the recommended brands and what are the things to look for when buying the bags? Thanks.

MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ppnqq » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:55 am

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and advises! :thankyou: :hugs:

ppnqq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jtoh » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:38 pm

MandyMummy wrote:Hi, can parents share what types of school bags are suitable for sec school students? Which are the recommended brands and what are the things to look for when buying the bags? Thanks.

At this age I think the kids would rather decide for themselves. Most carry haversacks.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby twilight » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:44 pm

I've seen many people use zinc, billabong, jansport and those sporting brands like nike, adidas etc.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Verysuperkiasu » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:18 pm

How do those sec 1 juggle with so many subjects ? I know I've been thru that stage - but life back then was much simpler. Now, with the current high standard of education in Singapore, I want to know how the children take it when they first step into sec 1 life?

Is history still memory work? I remember my history exams I just had to memorise and regurgitate during exams. What abt geog & literature?

Verysuperkiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Snow Crystal » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:11 pm

Verysuperkiasu wrote:How do those sec 1 juggle with so many subjects ? I know I've been thru that stage - but life back then was much simpler. Now, with the current high standard of education in Singapore, I want to know how the children take it when they first step into sec 1 life?
Is history still memory work? I remember my history exams I just had to memorise and regurgitate during exams. What abt geog & literature?

Nowadays not like our time. Now sec sch assessment is not only pen and paper. Also have projects, assignments, experiments etc to make that 100%, not like last time mostly 100% pen and paper. Further, more of breadth less of depth.
I don't know about O level schools but for IPs, some subjects have modules and some modules previously tested will not be tested in year end exams etc. So all in all, must get used to more core subjects with new ones mainly being humanities but total efforts need not be much much more than primary school, due to more breadth rather than depth in content and the kid is assessed in more forms other than just sitting for exams. The challenge is mainly time management - juggling homework and project/assignment deadlines with CCA, 3rd language, school activities and leadership positions etc. I notice that those who are very independent learner in primary school seem to cope very well in IPs. My advice is don't go to a school which is so far because long traveling zaps the kid's energy. And of course the new humanities subjects still require some memorizing but not as much as our time :wink:

Snow Crystal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support