MOE Progressive Award

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

MOE Progressive Award

Postby ttlkbs » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:30 am

Hi, anybody knows how does the MOE Progressive Award work for primary school & secondary level? DS used to receive this award in primary Sch whenever he improved by a few % in his result. But now in sec 1 he improved by 12% comparing SA2 to SA1 but nvr rec'd the letter. Can anyone enlighten me on this? :?

ttlkbs
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: MOE Progressive Award

Postby ttlkbs » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:41 am

Anyone has any idea on this? Just curious to know the selection criteria. I am sure there are experts here in this forum who can enlighten me. Thx a million.

ttlkbs
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:05 pm

This is taken from the MOE site. It could be that your son's improvement was not within the top 10% given the award?

---
Good Progress Award (GPA)

If your child does not qualify for the Edusave scholarship or merit bursary, but has made significant improvement in his academic performance, he is eligible for the Good Progress Award. The award is given based on the extent of his improvement in his school’s year-end examinations over the previous year.

The awards are given to a maximum of 10% of pupils in each level and stream in every school. Pupils in Primary 1 are excluded from the scheme as there is no basis for comparison. Your child will be selected by his school for this award at the end of the year if he meets the criteria.

The value of the awards are as follows:

* $100 for Primary 2 to 3
* $150 for Primary 4 to 6
* $200 for Secondary
* $250 for Junior Colleges/Centralised Institute (JCs/CI)
* $400 for Institute of Technical Education (ITE)

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ttlkbs » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:41 pm

Thx, jtoh. 10% of the pupils in the level does not mean top 10% right? I remembered our previous experiences when DS rec'd such award he wasn't in the top 10% category. 12% improvement is almost 120 marks!

ttlkbs
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:25 pm

ttlkbs wrote:Thx, jtoh. 10% of the pupils in the level does not mean top 10% right? I remembered our previous experiences when DS rec'd such award he wasn't in the top 10% category. 12% improvement is almost 120 marks!

No, it's the 10% of students who showed the most improvement in their grades from one year to the next, not the top 10% of the cohort.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tisha » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:09 pm

jtoh wrote:This is taken from the MOE site. It could be that your son's improvement was not within the top 10% given the award?

---
Good Progress Award (GPA)

If your child does not qualify for the Edusave scholarship or merit bursary, but has made significant improvement in his academic performance, he is eligible for the Good Progress Award. The award is given based on the extent of his improvement in his school’s year-end examinations over the previous year.
The awards are given to a maximum of 10% of pupils in each level and stream in every school. Pupils in Primary 1 are excluded from the scheme as there is no basis for comparison. Your child will be selected by his school for this award at the end of the year if he meets the criteria.

The value of the awards are as follows:

* $100 for Primary 2 to 3
* $150 for Primary 4 to 6
* $200 for Secondary
* $250 for Junior Colleges/Centralised Institute (JCs/CI)
* $400 for Institute of Technical Education (ITE)

ttlkbs,
Do you know anyone from Sec 1 getting this award?

tisha
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Dr.K » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:07 am

:dancing: I remember reading a letter from MOE to my Ds that he is the recipient of Edusave scholarship for IP schools(JC)sec 1 being in the top 10% of PSLE. The amount was for $2,400 annualy.He is receiving cheque during presentation ceremony in the grassroots CC next month. Still I am not 100% clear whether in School or Overall PSLE that the award is for. It further states it is for a period of 6 years with conditions attached on good progress.When I went to collect the PSLE cert. the school admin. could tell me either. :boogie:

Dr.K
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ttlkbs » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi tisha,

I don't know anybody in Sec 1 who rec'd this award. I only know in Pri school it goes by the improvement in the position in the cohort. I was told for Secondary school level, the comparison is between SA2 and SA1. I am just curious why DS whose position improved by > than 30 positions compared SA2 to SA1 was not awarded. I was thinking if I can call the school for clarification but will they entertain such inquiry? For me, it is not the $ that matters but more for motivation purpose.

ttlkbs
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:50 pm

Dr.K wrote::dancing: I remember reading a letter from MOE to my Ds that he is the recipient of Edusave scholarship for IP schools(JC)sec 1 being in the top 10% of PSLE. The amount was for $2,400 annualy.He is receiving cheque during presentation ceremony in the grassroots CC next month. Still I am not 100% clear whether in School or Overall PSLE that the award is for. It further states it is for a period of 6 years with conditions attached on good progress.When I went to collect the PSLE cert. the school admin. could tell me either. :boogie:

the $2400 is the EESIS scholarship for citizens whose result is good enough to enter independent IP schools, whose school fees are typically 200+ to 300+ per month

the EESIS is roughly for the top 1/3 of the students who are admitted to IP in an IS (IP=integrated program, IS = independent School), which is translated to approx 260 or 261 as a cut off. NJC is IP but not IS, as an example.

the good progress required of the EESIS recipient is not the same as the MOE/CDC good progress award which is school based and is a lump sum one time award (max $400/%600) based on each year's good progress in school and has a family income disqualifier. Some kids only qualify once because they have made good progress to the top of the cohort and hence no further to progress, hence no further award from CDC
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby justsay » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:38 am

ttlkbs wrote:Thx, jtoh. 10% of the pupils in the level does not mean top 10% right? I remembered our previous experiences when DS rec'd such award he wasn't in the top 10% category. 12% improvement is almost 120 marks!

Hi ttlkbs
Just curious, how does 12% = 120 marks come about? Unless he has gotten previously 1000 marks and now 1120 marks ? Quite impossible.
Anyway, the improvement is comparing with students of the same level within the school. He needs to be the top 10% who has shown most improvement. It is not comparing his own grades.
Yes, I know of someone in my family who got it end of sec 1.
Hope it helps.

justsay
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support