LEARNConcierge

O-Level English

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: O-Level English

Postby jetsetter » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:45 pm

Newtandcucumber wrote:
Joy of Learning 111 wrote:
Newtandcucumber wrote:
Ps.....Beware our new Best in class Platinum standard GCSEs may be coming your way. Our new GCSE in Eng Lang is scary, and I won't even mention Eng Lit.

Not a snowball in hell chance of coming Singapore's way. When England replaced traditional O levels with the GCSE and subsequently traditional A levels with modular ones, it lost many overseas markets due to the lack of rigour. Some overseas markets such as Singapore want to develop - and are successfully doing so - their own systems.

Nor did the IGCSE take off here. I heard that private schools in England rejected GCSEs but adopted IGCSEs.

To be honest I was a sceptic, but our National Curriculum has all but eliminated functional literacy. Modular GCSEs were replaced in 2014 by more rigorous linear interim exams. Interim Eng Lang and Maths GCSEs finish in 2016, and the more difficult linear ones start in 2017. Remaining interim GCSEs are sat for the last time in 2017, and the more difficult ones start in 2018.

My son will sit his CIE Eng Lang O Level and Maths O Level when he is 14, as the challenge is a lot less than his Eng Lang and Maths GCSEs- and comparatively easier to attain a top grade A in O Levels, compared to a 9 in the GCSEs.

BTW,the exam boards are dispensing with some IGCSEs, as the new GCSEs are more demanding; the emphasis is on reasoning and explaining in the exam rather than rote-based recall of old and existing O Levels.

Look at the following GCSE spec papers. Are you seriously telling me that they are easy:

Eng Lang - http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/ ... -resources

Eng Lit - http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/ ... -resources

So you believe Singapore's O Level assessment books and TYS will be (more) difficult enough than those available in the UK to prep your child for the revamped GCSE syllabus? Would our materials be useful to you guys in the UK?

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:46 pm

Newtandcucumber wrote:
To be honest I was a sceptic, but our National Curriculum has all but eliminated functional literacy.

Hopefully you mean 'illiteracy'.

The import of what I wrote is that England has lost overseas markets and that such markets when lost are not likely to be regained even if England fixes its rigour.

Of course, your son can try to game whatever systems are in place. My style of teaching in Singapore is to try to inculcate in students the confidence to handle whatever is thrown at them.

With regard to the GCSE spec papers, I decline to make a proper judgement as I do not have the time to fully study them. However, a quick perusal suggests that they are entirely manageable. I presume your experience in the UK is in the state sector.

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Newtandcucumber » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:05 pm

Hi joyoflearning

Apologies, I meant illiteracy.

I am not a teacher or a tutor. My sons are at superselective state grammar schools. I use the SG TYS for son who is the Key Stage 3 ages 11 to 14 cohort. The questions are similar in challenge to his class work and homework.

As to your smug and pious barb about 'gaming', I too inculcate a love of learning, too. That is why their results helps the school to hold a top 20 position, by academic results.

In relation to gaming the system, is that not what Singaporeans do with assessment guides and TYS year in and year out.

Ps. Gaming is a synonym for Kiasu.
Last edited by Newtandcucumber on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Newtandcucumber
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Newtandcucumber » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi jetsetter

Apologies to all for typos. Presently watching tennis in the stands at AEGON Queen's Club London. Very tight seats and keep getting elbowed by my wife.

I showed the TYS questions to my son's school science teachers. They felt they were good prep for Yr 8 (12-13) and Yr9 (13-14). I used questions for end of year revision for Yr 8 son. I still think the challenge of SG O Levels are high.

Newtandcucumber
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:59 pm

Newtandcucumber wrote:Hi joyoflearning

Apologies, I meant illiteracy.

I am not a teacher or a tutor. My sons are at superselective state grammar schools. I use the SG TYS for son who is the Key Stage 3 ages 11 to 14 cohort. The questions are similar in challenge to his class work and homework.

As to your smug and pious barb about 'gaming', I too inculcate a love of learning, too. That is why their results helps the school to hold a top 20 position, by academic results.

In relation to gaming the system, is that not what Singaporeans do with assessment guides and TYS year in and year out.

Ps. Gaming is a synonym for Kiasu.

I do not condone educational gaming by Singaporeans, Britons or others. I recognise it when I see it, but I respect the right of parents to determine their child's educational journey.

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Newtandcucumber » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:32 pm

joyoflearning

I just like my dc to practise exam questions with model answers. They do not have an equivalent TYS in England. I do try To instill learning, but I also like them to practise SG O Level papers. TYS is useful for lower secondary revision, but not GCSEs.

Newtandcucumber
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby questionable_i » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:20 pm

Does anyone know the format for Expository Writing? (There is no Subject in the ASKQ that says English though, I can't find)
:thankyou:

questionable_i
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:46 pm

questionable_i wrote:Does anyone know the format for Expository Writing? (There is no Subject in the ASKQ that says English though, I can't find)
:thankyou:

The format is continuous prose using formal register.

You need to discuss the topic with the purpose of informing the reader or reflecting on your own life's experiences to draw moral lessons. You should explain concepts, state a well-sequenced set of steps or events as appropriate, give analyses – perhaps by comparing and contrasting, or cause and effect – and provide evidence that your thesis is true, plausible or appropriate.

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby LanglitEnglish » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:19 pm

Hello, everyone! I'm just wondering what your kids do to prepare for the 'O' Level English Exam? (Papers 1 & 2)

LanglitEnglish
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Newtandcucumber » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:38 pm

Does anyone know of an O Level essays book that would be useful for the stimuli composition question in Paper 1 of the O Level. Again, can you post a URL please, as from UK and wish to buy.

Newtandcucumber
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge