foundation Subject

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

foundation Subject

Postby kitty2 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:30 pm

Wonder any of your kids took foundation subjects and are now in Express Stream?My friend's son is very weak in Maths and is struggling.She's afraid to put him in Foundation as fear he may end up in NA/NT.She aslo heard that those taking foundation subjects have limited choices of sec sch to go to?

Please help if you've any feedback on the above,thanks

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: foundation Subject

Postby koguma » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:12 am

kitty2 wrote:Wonder any of your kids took foundation subjects and are now in Express Stream?My friend's son is very weak in Maths and is struggling.She's afraid to put him in Foundation as fear he may end up in NA/NT.She aslo heard that those taking foundation subjects have limited choices of sec sch to go to?

If the kid only do one foundation (maths) and he did extremely well for the remaining 3 subjects, he can still make it to Express or NA. I know of students who make it. If the child do 4 foundation subjects, high chance he/she will end up in NT. But if he/she does extremely extremely well, there is still a chance to go into NA. (i got the above info from my nephew's teacher).

choices of sec sch : of course all the "so-call elite" schools will not have NT classes. however there are still reputable schools that have NT/NA classes. i can suggest few for you to consider if you can share where your friend is staying.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kitty2 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:17 am

koguma wrote:
kitty2 wrote:Wonder any of your kids took foundation subjects and are now in Express Stream?My friend's son is very weak in Maths and is struggling.She's afraid to put him in Foundation as fear he may end up in NA/NT.She aslo heard that those taking foundation subjects have limited choices of sec sch to go to?

If the kid only do one foundation (maths) and he did extremely well for the remaining 3 subjects, he can still make it to Express or NA. I know of students who make it. If the child do 4 foundation subjects, high chance he/she will end up in NT. But if he/she does extremely extremely well, there is still a chance to go into NA. (i got the above info from my nephew's teacher).

choices of sec sch : of course all the "so-call elite" schools will not have NT classes. however there are still reputable schools that have NT/NA classes. i can suggest few for you to consider if you can share where your friend is staying.

Thanks for sharing.The problem is all his other subjects are just average not very well.If he would to take standard Maths,it may affect the T score too,right?They're in AMK.thanks

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby koguma » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:28 pm

kitty2 wrote:Thanks for sharing.The problem is all his other subjects are just average not very well.If he would to take standard Maths,it may affect the T score too,right?They're in AMK.thanks

There are few good schools in AMK/Yishun/Bishan that offers NA/NT programmes, hence your friend don't have to worry. Just curious, is the child P5 or P6 this year? Usually the school will not ask the student to do a subject at foundation level unless the student has done badly for the subject (eg <20 marks). If the student is doing 3 standard and 1 foundation, he should be able to go into NA unless he also did badly for the 3 standard subjects.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kitty2 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:09 am

koguma wrote:
kitty2 wrote:Thanks for sharing.The problem is all his other subjects are just average not very well.If he would to take standard Maths,it may affect the T score too,right?They're in AMK.thanks

There are few good schools in AMK/Yishun/Bishan that offers NA/NT programmes, hence your friend don't have to worry. Just curious, is the child P5 or P6 this year? Usually the school will not ask the student to do a subject at foundation level unless the student has done badly for the subject (eg <20 marks). If the student is doing 3 standard and 1 foundation, he should be able to go into NA unless he also did badly for the 3 standard subjects.

He's in P6 now ,my friend is very depressed over this issue.She doesn't want him to go to NA/NT :cry: Wonder which are the schools have good NA?I know Anderson is one of them.I thought if one's mark fall below 35 will have to go for foundation?

Thanks for sharing

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby koguma » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:59 am

kitty2 wrote:He's in P6 now ,my friend is very depressed over this issue.She doesn't want him to go to NA/NT :cry: Wonder which are the schools have good NA?I know Anderson is one of them.I thought if one's mark fall below 35 will have to go for foundation?

Thanks for sharing

I think the teacher will access the student ability before recommending whether the student should do standard level or foundation level. I don't think there is a guideline that <35 wil need to do foundation.

Personally, I won't mind if my nephew ends up in NA or NT. In fact, I have one nephew in Sec 1 NT previously, then promoted to Sec 2 NA, and now in ITE. Another one in P6 now but doing all 4 foundations. He is a slow learner, hence no point forcing him to do all 4 subjects at standard level. Even if he ends up in NT, I will encourage him to learn from his brother, study hard and promote to Sec 2 NA. I also know a success case where the boy is in Sec 1 NT, Sec 2 NA, and now Sec 3 Express !

Perhaps your friend can talk to the school teachers and to understand why the school recommend the kid to do Maths in foundation level. Also, find out from the school what is the chance of going into Exp or NA with 3 standard and 1 foundation (based on school past year results). Lastly, I would recommend to go into a school that produce good NA results for past few years (like Anderson Sec Yishun Town Secondary School, Ang Mo Kio Sec, Bowen Secondary School) and works hard to promote to Sec 2 Express.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kitty2 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:08 pm

koguma wrote:
kitty2 wrote:He's in P6 now ,my friend is very depressed over this issue.She doesn't want him to go to NA/NT :cry: Wonder which are the schools have good NA?I know Anderson is one of them.I thought if one's mark fall below 35 will have to go for foundation?

Thanks for sharing

I think the teacher will access the student ability before recommending whether the student should do standard level or foundation level. I don't think there is a guideline that <35 wil need to do foundation.

Personally, I won't mind if my nephew ends up in NA or NT. In fact, I have one nephew in Sec 1 NT previously, then promoted to Sec 2 NA, and now in ITE. Another one in P6 now but doing all 4 foundations. He is a slow learner, hence no point forcing him to do all 4 subjects at standard level. Even if he ends up in NT, I will encourage him to learn from his brother, study hard and promote to Sec 2 NA. I also know a success case where the boy is in Sec 1 NT, Sec 2 NA, and now Sec 3 Express !

Perhaps your friend can talk to the school teachers and to understand why the school recommend the kid to do Maths in foundation level. Also, find out from the school what is the chance of going into Exp or NA with 3 standard and 1 foundation (based on school past year results). Lastly, I would recommend to go into a school that produce good NA results for past few years (like Anderson Sec Yishun Town Secondary School, Ang Mo Kio Sec, Bowen Secondary School) and works hard to promote to Sec 2 Express.

:thankyou:

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support