Mother Tongue Language - B (MTL-B)

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Mother Tongue Language - B (MTL-B)

Postby blessed777 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Is there any disadvantage of taking MTL-B in ? Thanks.

blessed777
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Mother Tongue Language - B (MTL-B)

Postby koguma » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:56 pm

blessed777 wrote:Is there any disadvantage of taking MTL-B in ? Thanks.

“Merit” and “Pass” grades for the Mother Tongue ‘B’ Syllabus (viz. Chinese ‘B’, Malay ‘B’ and Tamil ‘B’) cannot be used for the computation of aggregate points for admission to a Junior College (JC), Millennia Institute (MI), Polytechnic (Poly) or Institute of Technical Education (ITE) courses

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissi ... tion-4.pdf

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby snowcloud » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:56 pm

Is there any disadvantage of taking MTL-B in ? Thanks.

Blessed777,

MTL B is not consider an O level subject so can't use for compution of the aggregate. Unless your child is really very weak in the language and already in Sec 4, if not, try not to opt for it as there are still chance for him/her to work on the subject.
To share with you about my ex student. She comes from an english speaking family and her parents don't speak Mandarin. Her school teacher keep asking her to do syllabus B since she was in Sec 2 but I told her not to give up as yet. She pass her Chinese paper every year and managed to get an O level pass and merit for her Oral. She is happy that at least her O level cert comes with a pass in Chinese Language.
Hope the info helps.

Snowcloud

snowcloud
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby blessed777 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:39 am

Thanks koguma n snowcloud, my kid failed her p6 CA1 MT n it is her weakest subject. I know there is still a bit time to work on it, im just curious to see the MOE site mention that for those with psle MTL result of C n below will be allowed to take MTL-B from sec 1, this is not compulsory right n im wondering whether its a good option for student with weak MTL.

blessed777
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby snowcloud » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Blessed777,

Ic, I thought your child had been asked to take syllabus B and you need to make a choice. Since she is in P6, she still have the time to work on it. Most important now is to help her for her year end PSLE.

snowcloud
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby blessed777 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:58 pm

snowcloud wrote:Blessed777,

Ic, I thought your child had been asked to take syllabus B and you need to make a choice. Since she is in P6, she still have the time to work on it. Most important now is to help her for her year end PSLE.

Thanks Snowcloud :smile:

blessed777
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Big fish » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi,
So anyone know if u need to take chinese in Poly? Tks.

Big fish
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby carebear » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:29 pm

koguma wrote:
blessed777 wrote:Is there any disadvantage of taking MTL-B in ? Thanks.

“Merit” and “Pass” grades for the Mother Tongue ‘B’ Syllabus (viz. Chinese ‘B’, Malay ‘B’ and Tamil ‘B’) cannot be used for the computation of aggregate points for admission to a Junior College (JC), Millennia Institute (MI), Polytechnic (Poly) or Institute of Technical Education (ITE) courses

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissi ... tion-4.pdf

The L1R5 does not require chinese language to be counted in.

From what I gather from teachers, you will need at least a pass in CLB to be able to qualify for JC if your grades qualify you for JC.

May I know if a pass is also required for CLB to be able to make it for Millenia Institute?

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jacsplace » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:10 pm

I just found this. What is Mother Tongue Language - B (MTL-B)?

jacsplace
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support